Author Topic: Migrating the forum to Discourse  (Read 35180 times)

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
Re: Migrating the forum to Discourse
« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2020, 01:38:58 am »
(Note,   I assume this forum uses phpBB or a derivative as it looks very close and the page source looks like it)

Nope, SMF.

Offline MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #226 on: April 11, 2020, 07:56:59 am »
I'd prefer a website that looks like something from 1996 any day over one that I have to allow scripts from a dozen different sources to even get it to load properly.

I agree. And while FTP- or more precisely idiot users with a single password for everything- is a problem, it's probably a smaller problem than the potential for intrusion from running every script and plugin that arrives without wondering what it does.

I have two browsers open on my desktop. The first is very firmly locked down and gets used for most browsing... and if somebody can't present his message without demanding I execute his media I'm likely to close it fast. The second uses NoScript to grant limited access to eBay etc., and to foramina like this one (which by coincidence are all based on SMF).

MarkMLl

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2020, 06:54:55 pm »
I use a low security password on my ftp server anyway, it's one of the ones I put on stuff that I don't mind friends and family knowing because I don't use it on anything I care about having particularly secure. It's like a cheap padlock, it keeps the honest people from stumbling in and messing with stuff, the dishonest can break in easily enough if they really want to but there's nothing of any real value in there anyway so why bother. In the ~15 years I've had one running nobody has ever trashed it.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2020, 07:48:02 pm »
I'd prefer a website that looks like something from 1996 any day over one that I have to allow scripts from a dozen different sources to even get it to load properly. I'm interested in content, I want to have as much information as possible with as little effort as possible required to extract it. All that added bloat only gets in my way.
Yep. I am SO sick of sites using all that javascript for ads and other nonsense that doesn't do anything for me. I am not opposed to ads -- I absolutely understand that ads fund a lot of the sites I use. I consent to ads as such. What I do not consent to is 10x as long page loads (little of which is actually due to the payload size, but rather because of the sequenced requests caused by nested scripts) and web pages using incredible amounts of CPU just to sit there. I'm the kind of person who tends to have lots of browser windows open, and if every one of those were allowed to load all the scripts it wanted, my CPU would be pegged, all the time.

So I use ad blockers to block all that crap, simply to reclaim my computer resources. If websites were willing to do server-side ads, such that by the time they reach my browser, there's no scripts, I'd be OK with allowing ads. But IMHO, using your readers' computer resources greedily is disrespectful, and I absolutely have no obligation to permit it.

I also wish I could put out a bounty on anyone who uses a lightbox (the thing where the page dims and a modal dialog appears) to ask me to sign up for your newsletter. I guarantee, using one of those to nag me before I've even had a chance to read the page is the way to get me to not even consider signing up, no matter what.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, james_s, MrMobodies

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2020, 08:05:11 pm »
sites using all that javascript for ads and other nonsense that doesn't do anything for me

I don't mind those - they are easy to block :)

It's the sites that require humongous js and other rubbish just to display the actual content that annoy me.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2020, 09:38:54 pm »

I also wish I could put out a bounty on anyone who uses a lightbox (the thing where the page dims and a modal dialog appears) to ask me to sign up for your newsletter. I guarantee, using one of those to nag me before I've even had a chance to read the page is the way to get me to not even consider signing up, no matter what.

I always wondered what they were called, that's the thing that has been hurting my eyes. Some of them say "Sorry for the intrustion" about their cookies when they don't realize it maybe uncomfortable when they darken the rest of the page.

I think of it as a bit like say 20 years ago, someone working with an old CRT screen and another person there adjusting the contrast and brightness controls going from one extreme to another thinking they're helping them see better.

Someone told me that they switched off javascript years ago by default and now I am finding I have to do that a lot more often.

Now with adverts, what I see some websites seem to be engaging in spammy behaviour and not just adverts alone. Rather than display adverts at the sides of the page where it scrolls with the rest of the page and so you see different ones I have seen websites display the same adverts on either sides of the page in a fixed position that flash and annoy/distract me, some appearing over the contents that either get in the way or expand the page making it jump. In other words interfering with the contents and my viewing of the page and they put the fixed videos that autoplay, so now it's easier without the aggravation by turning off the scripts as soon as I see a small dialogue with rest of the page darkening.

I don't mind adverts but not shoved in my face over the contents like with any fixed element.

To add to insult I am occasionally seeing, "Turn on Javascript for a better website experience" which is I turned it off in the first place.

Dare click that bookmark killer to kill unwanted fixed elements and I have seen some sites as of recent engage in scroll jacking and I thought taking away my right click away was bad.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:22:57 pm by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
  • Doing electronics since the 1960s...
« Reply #231 on: April 12, 2020, 10:40:15 am »
Disabling javascript makes most websites unusable, unfortunately.

Blocking adverts is also a problem in the long run, for a forum which needs the money, as all do. A site like EEVblog can be hosted for under $100/month, but the admin costs a lot more. The owner may be running it as a hobby and draw no income (I have no idea who is involved) but unless he has the entire range of IT skills required for modern www development and server admin he has to pay anything up to $1000/day to outsiders. One site I am involved with (written in Ruby on Rails) would cost that sort of money for any enhancements. We did an appeal for donations which raised about 3k over a year which covers the actual costs but that's only because the site is solidly written originally. Anything developed or ported-to recently will need much more work.

Mods normally have to be paid something, too. If you recruit them from a pool willing to work for free, you get all kinds of weird people. I have seen this happen on numerous forums. You get the "police recruitment problem" where you end up with people who are not particularly bright and enjoy beating others up. The result is that a lot of mods end up doing a Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now and trash the site, because all the good intelligent contributors got pi55ed off and left. It can happen over just a few months.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:43:41 am by peter-h »
Z80 Z180 Z280 Z8 S8 8031 8051 H8/300 H8/500 80x86 90S1200 32F417

Offline MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #232 on: April 12, 2020, 11:33:41 am »
Blocking adverts is also a problem in the long run, for a forum which needs the money, as all do.

I for one am entirely happy with adverts. I'm not happy with adverts which demand the privilege of running code on my computer, and will send a list of my bureau rates to anybody who thinks they can stand the tab.

MarkMLl

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2020, 11:44:08 am »
Blocking adverts is also a problem in the long run, for a forum which needs the money, as all do.

That's debatable. Relying on adverts isn't a sustainable business model, and a business model is what a forum needs if it's going to grow and thrive. Someone running a hobby site but of the size of EEVBlog is akin to someone whacking together an Arduino doobrey using info from Instructables and then selling it in the thousands as a mature product. Or compare some bloke with 20 viewers on Youtube with the apparently hobby LTT channel which actually rivals serious broadcast TV.

The problem with adverts is that they need to be shown to people. Just plonk them on your site and they probably won't piss off anyone but they won't be doing any good either, and sooner or later your advertisers are going to realise that. So you start pushing them in front of eyeballs so they do get seen, and some time later you have to prove to your advertisers that they are being seen. And maybe eventually your advertisers realise the adverts aren't actually cost effective, and there goes your single-source supply of goodness.

There are other ways of funding hobbies. Perhaps most of them have drawbacks too, but that's life. If it was dead easy we'd all be running super-forums and too busy spending the proceeds to visit anyone elses efforts.

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #234 on: April 12, 2020, 12:44:09 pm »
Many of the users that block ads do so because they find *ALL* advertisements to be useless annoyances*.  Even if you get them to turn off  their ad-blockers, you wont get any clickthrough from them without tricking them.  Any site with deceptive ads doesn't deserve any revenue they get from them.  Customers that will click to buy anything shiny waved in front of them usually aren't technically savvy enough to (a) want, (b) install, and (c) maintain an ad-blocker. Therefore I question whether ad-blockers significantly impact the revenue stream of any reputable site. 

* The last time I bought anything due to an advertisement was back in the '80s, from an ad in a computer magazine.  I have never bought anything from a TV or internet ad.  OTOH I will occasionally impulse buy stuff that has been reviewed by a source I trust.

The following users thanked this post: james_s, MrMobodies

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2020, 01:06:33 pm »
I run adblock by default and on eevblog I see just the two ads at the top. I don't know if there are others. These two are ok. But to get decent income you normally need lots more adverts.

"Relying on adverts isn't a sustainable business model, and a business model is what a forum needs if it's going to grow and thrive"

What would be a "sustainable business model"?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:47:56 pm by peter-h »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2020, 05:01:21 pm »
Many of the users that block ads do so because they find *ALL* advertisements to be useless annoyances*.  Even if you get them to turn off  their ad-blockers, you wont get any clickthrough from them without tricking them.  Any site with deceptive ads doesn't deserve any revenue they get from them.  Customers that will click to buy anything shiny waved in front of them usually aren't technically savvy enough to (a) want, (b) install, and (c) maintain an ad-blocker. Therefore I question whether ad-blockers significantly impact the revenue stream of any reputable site. 

* The last time I bought anything due to an advertisement was back in the '80s, from an ad in a computer magazine.  I have never bought anything from a TV or internet ad.  OTOH I will occasionally impulse buy stuff that has been reviewed by a source I trust.

Exactly this. Ads are irrelevant to me, I'm just not a typical consumer, I have never deliberately clicked on an online ad in my life, I have never seen something in an ad on TV and gone out and bought it. Serving me ads is just a waste of bandwidth and a waste of everyone's time. When I see enough ads for something or someone (eg politicians) that I notice, it actively starts to turn me against them.

I didn't mind online ads until they started getting pushy. Blinky animated stuff, then popups, it got so invasive that at some point I said ENOUGH and actually bought an ad blocker back before the free ones were a thing. I never looked back.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:03:05 pm by james_s »

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2020, 06:09:11 pm »
Without wishing to contradict you regarding the undesirability of adverts, how do you expect the forum which you make good use of to keep running?

I run a forum too (technology, but not electronics) so I know what's involved. We have decided to not have adverts, for various reasons including

- people hate them
- everybody who knows how to will adblock them
- if adblock doesn't work (e.g. because the ads are served from the same server, along with the main page) people will run scripts to block them (this is what e.g. Facebook Purity does on facebook)
- if there is a disreputable vendor (which in the subject of my forum is pretty common) then what will you do if they want to advertise???
- you have to de-moderate the mod policy, because kicking/beating/biting posts generate far more traffic and thus clicks on ads (and then most intelligent people leave)
- you have to run a "no bashing vendors" policy otherwise the advertisers will dump you, and new ones will be wary (and this degrades the forum because crappy products cannot be discussed)

So we went to donation funding. This is ok until you have to pay commercial rates for server side development. I don't know EEVblog traffic but mine has had 250k posts over 7 years, about 100/day, and has 200 posters in any past 30 days. The donations cover what we have but not any significant development, and certainly no profit for the owner.

I know of sites in the US which are 10x bigger and they run adverts and they are ok, but they have to deal with the above issues, including a no-bashing policy. But there are many cultural differences between the US and Europe...

Offline MarkMLl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2020, 06:10:50 pm »
"Relying on adverts isn't a sustainable business model, and a business model is what a forum needs if it's going to grow and thrive"

Something that doesn't rely on a broker- Google or otherwise- which is likely to demote you on a whim and insist that they are not accountable to you.

MarkMLl

Offline W9GFO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2020, 06:13:31 pm »
Hello,
I have had this thought for a few years. Wouldn't it make sense to migrate the forum to the Discourse platform?

No. Discourse may be popular now but probably won't be in ten years. Then what, switch to the next fad?

Keep it right here where the owner has total control and is not hostage to a third party that may change policies/owners on a whim.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2020, 06:36:25 pm »

I always wondered what they were called, that's the thing that has been hurting my eyes. Some of them say "Sorry for the intrustion" about their cookies when they don't realize it maybe uncomfortable when they darken the rest of the page.

I think of it as a bit like say 20 years ago, someone working with an old CRT screen and another person there adjusting the contrast and brightness controls going from one extreme to another thinking they're helping them see better.

Someone told me that they switched off javascript years ago by default and now I am finding I have to do that a lot more often.

Now with adverts, what I see some websites seem to be engaging in spammy behaviour and not just adverts alone. Rather than display adverts at the sides of the page where it scrolls with the rest of the page and so you see different ones I have seen websites display the same adverts on either sides of the page in a fixed position that flash and annoy/distract me, some appearing over the contents that either get in the way or expand the page making it jump. In other words interfering with the contents and my viewing of the page and they put the fixed videos that autoplay, so now it's easier without the aggravation by turning off the scripts as soon as I see a small dialogue with rest of the page darkening.

I don't mind adverts but not shoved in my face over the contents like with any fixed element.

To add to insult I am occasionally seeing, "Turn on Javascript for a better website experience" which is I turned it off in the first place.

Dare click that bookmark killer to kill unwanted fixed elements and I have seen some sites as of recent engage in scroll jacking and I thought taking away my right click away was bad.
Yep, I agree right you on pretty much everything you say.

The lightbox, as its name suggests, was originally developed for zooming into picture thumbnails without requiring a page load. Then some turds started using them for popover messages (in sensible ways), and suddenly like wildfire the fucking things were everywhere for nagging.

I know exactly what you mean about the flickery jumpy fixed items.

It’s incredible to me that my internet connection now is literally 400 times as fast as the one I had 20 years ago, but these dipshit web devs and site operators have seen to it that performance is far worse than it was back then.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2020, 07:07:31 pm »
Without wishing to contradict you regarding the undesirability of adverts, how do you expect the forum which you make good use of to keep running?

Frankly that's not my problem. I like to think that overall I add some value to the forum and bring in other eyeballs that may be influenced by ads that do not do anything for me. Maybe the online culture that expects everything to be free and ad supported is just going to have to change? I don't block the banner ads in this forum because they're not intrusive, they're passive, silent and they advertise legitimate companies. I've never (intentionally) clicked on one either though so am I stealing service by not buying products from the companies that advertise here? Actually I do buy boards from JLC PCB but not because I saw an ad banner, it's because someone pointed me to pcbshopper, JLC was the cheapest and I've been happy with the quality of their product.

Obviously ads do work in general or they wouldn't still be around, but I think it's on the advertisers to not be obnoxious about it. If ads hadn't gotten so obnoxious in the first place we'd see far fewer people blocking them. Popups, auto-play videos, garish animated banners, ads that play sounds, all this annoying stuff should be as unacceptable as letting yourself into someone's house and gluing a physical advertising banner to a prominent wall. They would notice the ad for sure, but it would also piss people off and lead to them taking precautions to prevent it. Finding creative new ways to be even more obnoxious is not the answer, but it's the approach that many advertisers have taken.

Offline W9GFO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #242 on: April 12, 2020, 07:36:47 pm »

Man I hate those things. I automatically close them when they appear, never read them. Ever.

Kind of like how everything is "known to the state of California to cause cancer", it has no meaning anymore because it is everywhere. It gets ignored as soon as it is presented.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: April 12, 2020, 09:34:34 pm »

I haven't had to make one up for a forum so can't advise, but I can see from Youtube that building your life around adverts isn't it.

Maybe ask Dave :)

Offline peter-h

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2020, 06:02:55 am »
Almost nobody makes money on youtube, despite half the world desperately trying it :)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: April 13, 2020, 06:40:11 am »
Almost nobody makes money on youtube, despite half the world desperately trying it :)

That's the case with trying to make a living being any type of celebrity. For every small timer who manages to get by there are at least 1,000 who try and get nowhere, and there are probably at least 1,000 small timers for every A-list celebrity. These numbers might actually be orders of magnitude larger even depending on how you define success.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #246 on: April 13, 2020, 02:43:16 pm »
That's the case with trying to make a living being any type of celebrity. For every small timer who manages to get by there are at least 1,000 who try and get nowhere, and there are probably at least 1,000 small timers for every A-list celebrity. These numbers might actually be orders of magnitude larger even depending on how you define success.

Based on my video from 6 months ago, approximately 15,000 channels have over 1,000,000 subs. Almost every one of those would be a full time Youtuber.
And over 150,000 channels have over 100,000 subs. Many of those would be full time, I'd guess at least a third of them.
So you could in the order of 50,000 full time Youtubers in the world. But yeah, that's a tiny fraction of those with channels who aspire to get there.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #247 on: April 16, 2020, 05:20:21 pm »
The readability is mainly improved by dropping the "pages" for continuous loading. 

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: InductorbackEMF

Offline vis1-0n

• Contributor
« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2020, 12:48:55 pm »
Things are very transient on the web and I wanted to archive a long page (about 100 posts - teehee) and failed. Print to PDF from Chrome outputted the top few posts and blanked out the rest down to the sites page footer in whitespace style. I moved over to Opera as it has option to Save to PDF (although this renders to a single WYSIWYG PDF page, so it may be end up 10cm by 1300cm PDF file, actually perfect in many ways, no pagebreaks, image rescaling  etc)

Again the discourse website spewed out the top few posts. Move along to halfway the page. Spewed out that portion leaving the others blank. Same for the bottom. Another point subtracted for infinite scroll. At least with MyBB, phpBB, SMF and vBulletin paging I can go through all the pages and do a reliable PDF save.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #249 on: April 25, 2020, 07:38:55 am »
Things are very transient on the web and I wanted to archive a long page (about 100 posts - teehee) and failed. Print to PDF from Chrome outputted the top few posts and blanked out the rest down to the sites page footer in whitespace style. I moved over to Opera as it has option to Save to PDF (although this renders to a single WYSIWYG PDF page, so it may be end up 10cm by 1300cm PDF file, actually perfect in many ways, no pagebreaks, image rescaling  etc)

Again the discourse website spewed out the top few posts. Move along to halfway the page. Spewed out that portion leaving the others blank. Same for the bottom. Another point subtracted for infinite scroll. At least with MyBB, phpBB, SMF and vBulletin paging I can go through all the pages and do a reliable PDF save.

Again, that's mistaking a poor implementation for a poor idea.  It's easy to save dozen-page threads on Rennlist, going back to that example, because they specifically provide a way to do so.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf