Author Topic: MOV fire risk  (Read 13374 times)

Offline miegapeleTopic starter

• Contributor
MOV fire risk
« on: December 10, 2023, 11:21:33 am »
I would like to ask what is general consensus, about MOVS in products and fire risk from them.

I stumbled upon this post there MOV exploded even without triggering fuse, and fuses are quite frequently used with MOVS in surge protection strips, like for example here .
However, it seems MOVs now appear in regular products and even without a thermal fuse. example IKEA here (but not in older generation here ), Samsung 65W here , even cheap Chinese smart plugs have them. However, Apple teardowns I have seen, seems to still omit them.

So, that's the current trends regarding use of MOVs in such devices, is it OK from the fire perspective?

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Re: MOV fire risk
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 01:34:25 pm »
Of course Apple sees easy money there, they will just argue it was a mains surge...
Please buy a new expensive thing from us!
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 01:40:05 pm »
Bonjour,

See GE original MOV handbook.

Limited life and fire risk are known.

In 1983 we had a 20 mm GE MOV on a wall plug transient protectopr.

About 20m away a 12 KW cinema lamp had a fault and very high transients were on the 240B mains.

My engineer in the adjacent lab shouts:

"JON!! THERE IS FIRE!"

The MOV exploded and flamed dqwn towars the floor.

The carpet caught fire.

Since that day I havwe never used a MOV.

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 02:33:31 pm »
   I found a heap of very nice and well-made COMMERCIAL quality surge suppressors in some surplus a while back.  They were mounted in steel boxes with a lot more room than necessary and the boxes were then filled with dry sand.  Presumably to absorb any blast from exploding MOVS. I just grabbed one out of the pile and I don't see a PN on any of the MOVs but they're in groups of 5 each and there are 7 groups of them and each MOV is larger in o.d. than an American quarter. There are five large wires (probably #8 gauge) and three small wires (for monitoring) coming out of each one and they appear to have been made for use on a 3 phase Y-connected circuit. 

MOV tend to fail shorted so they all need to be fused IMO and packing them with sand and in a sturdy flame proof enclosure is a GOOD idea. These a bit bit weird in they way that they're fused, each incoming power lead goes through a 1 Ohm 1% resister (probably a fusible resistor) and then has a small 22? gauge bare wire that connects to a tent shaped insulator with 9 other small wires attached and each of the other wires connects to a group of MOVs. So it looks like the 1 Ohm resistors and the small bare wires are intended to serve as fuses.   I picked up about 60 of these of various sizes and we tested a bunch of them and they seems to be designed to operate on 120, 240, 277 and 480 volt circuits and both Delta and Y configurations.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 02:43:01 pm »
MOV tend to fail shorted so they all need to be fused IMO
Shorting the circuit is their actual purpose, is it not?

1) the MOV begins to conduct once voltage across its terminals exceeds a certain value;
2) current flowing through the fuse installed before the MOV increases rapidly and blows the fuse;
3) the MOV is rated for a specific amount of energy that it can absorb before blowing up (which determines its size -- or, rather, its size determines the energy);
4) if the fuse blows before that energy is exceeded, then the circuit designer used proper values and every part has done its job properly. Otherwise, it's bad design.

Am I wrong?

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 04:28:37 pm »
Or alternatively MOV plus thermal fuse in heat-shrink tubing.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 04:34:04 pm »
Those heat shrink sleeves are remarkably good at holding the bits together when a MOV pops. Without that sharp bits can punch through a thin plastic case.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2023, 04:42:35 pm »
Considering the thermal resistance between the two, when they are separate parts, and the speed of the process, having them both in the same package (of course still with the heat shrink cover) gives a better chance of them working as expected.

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 05:18:43 pm »
As far as i remember MOVs also suffer from aging but i can't say whether it is just time or number of surges. Aging tends to increase leakage currents and the thermal fuse is meant to disconnect the circuit when it starts to consume power, heating up to some level. Of course the thermal fuse is far to slow in case of a nearby lightning strike. MOVs also have a significant capacitance, which may help for EMI suppression.

Regards, Dieter
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 10:25:38 pm by dietert1 »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 08:38:36 pm »
Those heat shrink sleeves are remarkably good at holding the bits together when a MOV pops. Without that sharp bits can punch through a thin plastic case.
Agreed. I have seen MOVs being covered by heat shrink tubing in many devices.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2023, 06:03:47 am »
I seen mov utterly detonate and disappear but they never seemed to cause a fire risk. Maybe its 240v vs 120.

I also have alot of them around, i think they split up surges or something like that. maybe if there was just one little mov in the house it would be worse
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 06:07:03 am by coppercone2 »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 07:28:07 am »
Shorting the circuit is their actual purpose, is it not?

1) the MOV begins to conduct once voltage across its terminals exceeds a certain value;
2) current flowing through the fuse installed before the MOV increases rapidly and blows the fuse;
3) the MOV is rated for a specific amount of energy that it can absorb before blowing up (which determines its size -- or, rather, its size determines the energy);
4) if the fuse blows before that energy is exceeded, then the circuit designer used proper values and every part has done its job properly. Otherwise, it's bad design.

Am I wrong?

You are correct, just missing one detail. Point 4, fuses "reset" nearly indefinitely as they cool down, hence the energy you refer to in point 3 is an integral which is also assumed to reset: as you explain, if the MOV and fuse are dimensioned together correctly, if the fuse does not blow, then the MOV does not blow up either, both cool down and reset for the next cycle. Fair enough, this is correct.

But MOVs have additional energy limitation, which is non-resetting over the lifetime. Every clamped peak, even benign ones which are not even close to exceeding said repetitive limit (and thus not even close to blowing the fuse), wears out the MOV, until it one day fails short from such small event.

This of course does not change the fact that a correctly dimensioned fuse is needed to protect the MOV from fire, and usually, the components surrounding the MOV also need some protection, at least a physical gap.

The following users thanked this post: 5U4GB

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2023, 10:19:33 am »
The thermal fuses commonly used together with MOVs are fuses (stay open after blown) and not thermal switches.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2023, 11:56:13 am »
MOVs get increasing leakage when getting old. So they may slowly run hotter and hotter and thus can overheat without blowing a normal mains fuse. The MOV is usually not flamable (after all it is metal oxide), but the hot PCB and neighboring parts may catch fire.

There are MOVs that aready come with a thermal fuse, e.g. Little fuse TMOV series.

The following users thanked this post: CosteC

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2023, 12:17:24 pm »
I have had one or three Zinc oxide MOV units, NOS GE ones, in the red dipped package, die short circuit while in storage, but in general with 230VAC mains they will all ineviatably fail as short, so best is to make sure they are fused correctly. But as all of those I have used failed safely, small one blowing apart, bigger ones drawing enough current to trip a breaker rather rapidly, often with no apparent damage to the MOV, other than it having a low varying DC resistance, in the order of 10's of ohms, with 1V applied from a multimeter, as opposed to being well over 10M normally. Seen also units with fuses in the path to the MOV units, either as PC board traces, or a proper ceramic fuse soldered into the board, or for the one, with a 20A ATO automotive fuse soldered into a slot in the board. Last one made by Clearline, guess they were happy using a 20A 32VDC rated fuse well past the warranted ratings.

I have plenty in use, often simply mounted in a connection block to an external LED light, to keep the surges down, to keep the lamp life as long as possible, even if the lights are rated for 3kV surge, extra always helps. they still all fail after a while, some soon, some after a year or two, and a few that still work after 4 years.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2023, 01:08:02 pm »
But MOVs have additional energy limitation, which is non-resetting over the lifetime. Every clamped peak, even benign ones which are not even close to exceeding said repetitive limit (and thus not even close to blowing the fuse), wears out the MOV, until it one day fails short from such small event.
It helps to have a large film capacitor, on the order of 5-10uF, in parallel to shunt the small switching transients. That, of course, can only be applied to the L-N or L-L MOVs, using one to ground would cause too much leakage current.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline CosteC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2023, 02:28:23 pm »
Nobody mentioned that while in EU nominal voltage is 230 VAC, the realistic voltages in in many places of network reach 250 V due to photovoltaic and other prosumers trying to sell energy. If MOV is rated for 250 VAC it will leak a lot and age quickly. I am not sure how this phenomenon widespread in USA with its 120 VAC system.

Other aspect is common issue - fuses rated "as high as possible" not "sensible". Lack of inrush current protection forces high fuse ratings, this does not work well when MOV will activate or there is failure of some primary side semiconductor. As usual cheap designs done quickly are not good designs and may caught fire.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2023, 02:50:12 pm »
Nobody mentioned that while in EU nominal voltage is 230 VAC, the realistic voltages in in many places of network reach 250 V due to photovoltaic and other prosumers trying to sell energy. If MOV is rated for 250 VAC it will leak a lot and age quickly. I am not sure how this phenomenon widespread in USA with its 120 VAC system.

Very rarely, it can be much worse: since the supply is a 240VCT transformer, if the neutral comes loose for some reason (say, improper, faulty, or damaged wiring), more load on one side than the other will shift the neutral voltage, browning out one side and overvolting the other.  UL 1449 for example covers this.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline iJoseph2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2023, 03:39:57 pm »
In the UK fitting MOV's to the mains incoming supply will become more and more common since the regulations have been updated. For example ..

https://hager.com/uk/support/regulations-18th-edition/surge-protection

Quote from: hager.com
18th Edi­tion Re­quire­ments

The 18th edi­tion BS 7671 now stip­u­lates

Pro­tec­tion against tran­si­ent over­voltages shall be provided where the con­se­quences caused by an over­voltage could

(i) res­ult in ser­i­ous in­jury to, or loss of, hu­man life
(ii) failure of a safety service, as defined in Part 2
(iii) significant financial or data loss

For all other cases, protection against transient overvoltages shall be provided unless the owner of the

installation declares it is not required due to any loss or damage being tolerable and they accept the risk of

damage to equipment and any consequential loss.

Offline CosteC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2023, 05:34:21 pm »

Very rarely, it can be much worse: since the supply is a 240VCT transformer, if the neutral comes loose for some reason (say, improper, faulty, or damaged wiring), more load on one side than the other will shift the neutral voltage, browning out one side and overvolting the other.  UL 1449 for example covers this.
240 VAC is UK peculiarity :) Still, the lost neutral is surely fault condition, unfortunately it may last hours. Good fuse shall disconnect equipment, MOV usually does not survives it, and this is expected behaviour for commercial equipment.

Again, fuse selection is critical, thermally protected MOV will help, but not be enough in case of so long overvoltage - other components will not survive.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2023, 06:22:28 pm »

240 VAC is UK peculiarity :) Still, the lost neutral is surely fault condition, unfortunately it may last hours. Good fuse shall disconnect equipment, MOV usually does not survives it, and this is expected behaviour for commercial equipment.

Again, fuse selection is critical, thermally protected MOV will help, but not be enough in case of so long overvoltage - other components will not survive.

In this case, the 240V is not a UK peculiarity; the quoted poster is in the US and was referring to the 240V centre-tapped neutral found in domestic supplies there. AKA split phase, they use both phases where they need more power, ie a tumble dryer, for example.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline CosteC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2023, 07:52:29 pm »
In this case, the 240V is not a UK peculiarity; the quoted poster is in the US and was referring to the 240V centre-tapped neutral found in domestic supplies there. AKA split phase, they use both phases where they need more power, ie a tumble dryer, for example.
True, yet USA split phase or two phase system is even more peculiar. Still lost neutral at source may generate even more exothermic effects...
You are right. I am forgetting about USA "solutions" mea culpa.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2023, 08:43:02 pm »
well it seems that I read about more MOV and RIFA explosions from europe. I don't think the US power grid is that bad of an idea. Split phase reserved for crazy devices that belong in the garage.

You pay a bit extra in copper weight but in general the failures are less spectacular.

and I noticed way more brown outs / surges in europe then in the USA. They have less local transformer in europe and there is more line effects that damage devices.

and its nice to be able to service most domestic things with a much less hazardous voltage.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 08:45:26 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline CosteC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2023, 09:05:46 pm »
well it seems that I read about more MOV and RIFA explosions from europe. I don't think the US power grid is that bad of an idea. Split phase reserved for crazy devices that belong in the garage.

You pay a bit extra in copper weight but in general the failures are less spectacular.

and I noticed way more brown outs / surges in europe then in the USA. They have less local transformer in europe and there is more line effects that damage devices.

and its nice to be able to service most domestic things with a much less hazardous voltage.
230 V is more deadly when touched - true. RCDs however reduce this risk significantly.
120 V causes significantly more fires, this is hard to solve "electronically" and easier kills entire family. Power distribution network also is significantly more tricky and 11 kV is omni-present in suburban areas. European 15-20 kV is less exposed.
I however does not know any comprehensive statistics. Planet opts for 230 V rather than 110 V however. Possibly only due to reason of 3 phase 230V being more efficient.

Getting back to MOV issue, today I think USA standardisation is ahead in this matter with more restricted demand to protect against MOV overheating and fire. Still problem remains in good testing of product. Cheap imports are cheap imports with questionable design quality.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2023, 09:33:57 pm »
where is this risk of fires increased with 120V ?? who made these stats.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2023, 09:36:07 pm »
Arc fault fires seem to be a much bigger issue in the US than in Europe. I don't know is that relates to the tradeoff between voltage and current, or if US fittings are generally worse than European ones.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2023, 09:40:15 pm »
That's probably the wirenuts and other crappy wiring practices, weak socket contacts etc. Not to mention all the general stuff pulling twice the current.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2023, 10:56:42 pm »
Yes, twice the current is like not negligible.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2023, 12:31:39 am »
Its questionable if they have twice the current. The weak load that's possible from a US socket means they don't have most of the high consumption appliances, like 3kW kettles and 2.5kW hair dryers that are normal in 220-240V mains countries.

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2023, 12:39:04 am »
how much faster do you need that water boiled god damn

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2023, 06:44:35 am »
how much faster do you need that water boiled god damn

Hey, when I want a cup of tea, I want it in the next few minutes, not the next day!   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline CosteC

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2023, 08:02:48 am »
https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v19i8.pdf
https://www.ishn.com/articles/95801-electrical-malfunctions-a-top-cause-of-home-fires-in-us

I suppose higher currents, toxic relationship with wirenuts, widespread of wood in housing construction might have something to do with it.
Also USA sockets are famously horrible and famously widespread. More famous is only tendency of manufacturers to use thinner mains cables or make the out of aluminium.

I believe in 230 V systems mains impedance is of lesser importance, so it is easier to rupture a fuse if MOV of anything else go sideways.

Online jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2023, 08:20:27 am »
... The weak load that's possible from a US socket means they don't have most of the high consumption appliances, like 3kW kettles and 2.5kW hair dryers that are normal in 220-240V mains countries.

At least in these parts, I would say that 3kW is not unusual. A few years back, our local Aldi ended up with a big pile of returned Strix-designed, 3kW electric kettles which were too much for the 10A circuits in many of the flats built the first couple decades after the war. I have since not seen more than ca. 2kW from Aldi Nord.
-John

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2023, 09:01:48 am »
MOVs get increasing leakage when getting old. So they may slowly run hotter and hotter and thus can overheat without blowing a normal mains fuse. The MOV is usually not flamable (after all it is metal oxide), but the hot PCB and neighboring parts may catch fire.

I've always wondered about that, ten-cent MOVs get added to cheap power strips so the sellers can double the price by touting the "surge protection" it offers (the random-trigger incendiary functionality gets thrown in for free), but a while back I scored some NOS Islatrol IE-series DIN-mount hardwired power filters for a fraction of their pretty hefty new price, and a major design element was a "MOV array" which I wouldn't have expected in something that's rated for continuous operation over (at a minimum) its ten-year warranty period.  However I'm not that familiar with the design requirements for these things so maybe they're using them in some way that doesn't cause, or isn't affected by, their degradation over time.

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2023, 07:06:29 pm »

Neutral or PEN faults are, if not common, very not-non-existing in the countryside here, and a regular-ish issue on TN-C-S distribution systems. Most of the electronics, lightbulbs etc. blowing up is least of the problems; dying is worse, much more dangerous is that PE and N are connected together at the distribution box, so with phases present without the PEN conductor, now every "earthed" metal surface is at a possibly high potential, through the low impedance of the connected loads. Instructions how to handle this situation go along the lines, "when you see some of your lightbulbs glowing dim and others very brightly, you are experiencing a neutral fault. Take a long non-conductive object, for example a log of wood, to carefully turn off the main switch in your metal-case distribution box. Don't touch any device or any metal object, or you die. Alternatively, go sit in the middle of the room and sob."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 07:08:05 pm by Siwastaja »

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2023, 07:12:23 pm »
Its questionable if they have twice the current. The weak load that's possible from a US socket means they don't have most of the high consumption appliances, like 3kW kettles and 2.5kW hair dryers that are normal in 220-240V mains countries.

This. Current is not twice, because all large loads in the US use 240V sockets. The opposite point can be made; German Schuko is officially rated to 16A, but fires are reported with sub-par sockets and plugs over 8A. Here, this is all we have, and 3kW loads must use this. In the US, 3kW loads use the same voltage, but plugs and sockets rated to actually survive 16A, and much more.

We mitigate by avoiding loads >10A which can be plugged in by end user completely; we just call an electrician every time we want to install a trivial thing like electric stove, to make a permanent connection - or do it illegally ourselves.

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2023, 07:27:46 pm »
True, yet USA split phase or two phase system is even more peculiar.

Split phase is NOT two-phase, and it's not that peculiar. There is a reason why the term split phase has been coined as a separate thing from two-phase. Two-phase systems have usually 90 deg phase difference so they produce a rotating vector, while a 180deg phase shift produces nothing useful. Split-phase is just a dual voltage single-phase system. AFAIK, two-phase systems aren't used for distribution anywhere, at least not in large scale, because of the awkward dimensioning of neutral wire for double the phase current; 3-phase distribution avoids that. But we still see two-phase design in stepper motors, some small BLDC fans, and in capacitor-run "1-phase" induction motors.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 07:32:31 pm by Siwastaja »

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2023, 07:35:45 pm »
Two phase is an ancient and irrelevant historical artefact, forcing a differentiation between two phase and dual/split-phase has long become knee jerk pedantry rather than needed for clarity.

Online dietert1

• Super Contributor
    • CADT Homepage
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2023, 08:07:46 pm »
Here in Sao Paulo we have a two phase mains distribution, with two times 120 V at 180° phase. It's a huge system like that. I can use all 230 V appliances i brought from Germany and i can buy and use US products, too. In our house we have two sets of sockets: white for 120 V and red for 240 V. Many modern appliances are "bivolt".

Regards, Dieter

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2023, 10:32:59 pm »
Of course Apple sees easy money there, they will just argue it was a mains surge...
Please buy a new expensive thing from us!
Apple’s chargers are famously spare-no-expense designs made entirely with premium components. If they aren’t using MOVs, there’s a good reason. (And historically, Apple chargers have proven to be very durable.)

There are plenty of reasonable things to criticize Apple about, but power supply quality most certainly is not among them.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 10:36:12 pm by tooki »

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2023, 01:20:23 am »

I would assume the very common 1500 watt 12.5 amp space heaters are the real killer. They're typically the only continuous heavy 120V load in the house. Combine with a loose socket or crappy 16 gauge extension cord (or worse yet 2 on one with a 20A breaker just hanging on), or some illegal flying splice in the wall or attic done with less than reputable wire nuts and there's the fire.

Some power tools and appliances also pull 12+ amps, but aside from the 12 amp leaf blower I can't think of any I use that do so for hours on end like a space heater will.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 01:25:26 am by BrokenYugo »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf