Author Topic: MS Word is a nuisance  (Read 4402 times)

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
Re: MS Word is a nuisance
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2018, 11:33:20 pm »
BTW I'm kind of amazed how editing text hasn't really been made easier since the days of Wordperfect.

I'm amazed how much slower it is. There used to be people who were genuinely rapid on Wordperfect and Lotus 123 - and on the old Autocad 2d come to mention it.

On a 286 in 1990 you could hit /fr on lotus to load a file, type part of the filename and hit enter to load it. The screen would refresh as fast as you could hit the keys. You could operate the computer as fast as you could think.

On my i7 SSD laptop the same keystrokes actually still work in Excel. But Excel cannot keep up and I have to wait, then be careful to react to the list of files which appear on the screen to select the correct file. It isn't possible to be fast with these applications, they just don't support that muscle memory mode of operation.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2018, 12:09:55 am »
Use Frontpage or InDesign. Both are intended for designing page layouts. The right tool for the right job.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2018, 02:14:24 am »
I've been helping with documentation by creating DXFs of PCB layers that are imported into Visio, and then imported into Word. This is to create ECO procedures, etc.

Needless to say, Word is a huge pain. Stuff suddenly moves all over the place, you try to save and you "a file error has occurred" and you lose hours of work, etc...

What do you use under Windows to create 10-20 page documents that are simply one or two drawings and two or three lines of text per page?

Go from Visio to pdf, it's easy.
PEACE===>T

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2018, 04:43:15 am »
Needless to say, Word is a huge pain. Stuff suddenly moves all over the place, you try to save and you "a file error has occurred" and you lose hours of work, etc...

What do you use under Windows to create 10-20 page documents that are simply one or two drawings and two or three lines of text per page?

I use Word. It's fine.

However...

You do have to know how to use the layout features. For drawings and pictures you need to set the text wrapping and the anchor options the way you want them. You may also want to resize the pictures (shrink them a bit). Otherwise things will "jump around". It's behaving as designed.

I've never seen a file error with saving. That may actually be a problem with your computer or disk or network or something?

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2018, 05:41:38 am »

I use Word. It's fine.

However...

A further workaround against jumping pics or several pics stacking
on the the top of a page, is to copy each pic in a one box table.

By the way:
The tables function in Word is known to be reliable. :-+
Many footnotes on many pages is highly unreliable. The footnotes do not always stick
to the corresponding page but some tend to move to the next page. :palm:
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2018, 06:44:40 am »
Whatever the reason was for everything jiggling around when I paste in converted DXFs from Visio, it can be fixed by reapplying the "normal" style and everything flows back into place.

Very very odd.  :-//
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2018, 07:00:01 am »
Whatever the reason was for everything jiggling around when I paste in converted DXFs from Visio, it can be fixed by reapplying the "normal" style and everything flows back into place.

Very very odd.  :-//
When pasting, like I said, use Shift-CTRL-V instead of paste or CTRL-V.  Then choose the method of importing the paste like I explained in my earlier post.

Offline Alex EisenhutTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2018, 07:25:07 am »
Thanks, but it's random. I started using the clip organizer to import the drawings as clip art, it's much faster. Most of the time I slap in the clip and the page stays the same. Once in a while everything goes weird again and I reapply the normal style and it fixes itself.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 02:20:41 pm »
I've been helping with documentation by creating DXFs of PCB layers that are imported into Visio, and then imported into Word. This is to create ECO procedures, etc.

Have you tried making PDFs of the graphics and then placing those on the page?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf