Author Topic: Multimeter as a carry on item (international flight)  (Read 23553 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Multimeter as a carry on item (international flight)
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2016, 08:11:00 pm »
Here they make you pull any tablet or laptop out of your carry on for individual X-ray, cellphones included.

Once recently I was pulled aside to check my carry on backpack that had 2 chargers, a bluetooth headset, headphones and a few other cables, bits and bobs in it. Must have looked dodgy on the X-ray screen but it's the same kit I've traveled with before and always previously gone straight through.  ::) Same kit on the return journey went straight though.  :-DD
For the OP, just carry it on and put it in a separate tray for close inspection and you'll be fine, leads in check in or course.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: ytech15

Offline ytech15Topic starter

• Contributor
Update
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 09:43:20 pm »
So, I left it in my backpack going through the X-ray machine, they rerun it and after the second time they took it out of my backpack and put it into the machine by it self, they asked what is this , I told them that it's a multimeter obviously the guy had no idea what is it (:/) after a few seconds he said "OK"  and let me pass.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Update
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 10:08:44 pm »
So, I left it in my backpack going through the X-ray machine, they rerun it and after the second time they took it out of my backpack and put it into the machine by it self, they asked what is this , I told them that it's a multimeter obviously the guy had no idea what is it (:/) after a few seconds he said "OK"  and let me pass.
On your return trip place it in a separate tray like you're not trying to conceal it and I think it will go through better.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 04:55:07 am »
 The rule here is anything electronic larger than a cell phone must go separate. That means 3 bins just for my laptop bag - the bag, my laptop, and I usually have my iPad in there so that has to some out as well. Granted some of these "phablet" phones are as bug as an 87V, but yeah, take it out and there will probably be no issues.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Update
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2016, 05:28:36 am »

On your return trip place it in a separate tray like you're not trying to conceal it and I think it will go through better.  ;)

Unless one of the TSA agents knows what a multimeter is and is looking to acquire one.  Then it will become a questionable item.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 10:50:20 pm »
Hey,
I am flying to the US this week and I need to take my Fluke 87V with me , I am not willing to put it in my checked bags , Therefore I want to take in my carry on bag. Should I have problems doing so? Does anyone has some sort of experience with doing such a thing?

Thanks in advance
Leave it at home and buy another 87V there at the lower US price? You can never have too many, right?  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 07:27:34 am »
I carried a Tektronix TDS2014 in my backpack once. On the US side (post 911) they didn't say a peep. In Vienna this idiot woman started asking what is this, told her it's a computer. All went OK.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 08:44:16 am »
Carried Multiband Tranceiver (Yaesu ft-817) aboard,  batteries had to be out (and double insulated bagged -  acc to airline ) and antenna disconnected. The scanning guys didn't even blink!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 03:59:26 pm »
Had pair of Keithley bench meters in checked in luggage on round trip internationally (travel with them out for calibration).

All went well, however it added me few gray hairs, I'm sure :)
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 07:25:55 pm »
I had DHL deliver a U1282A to my door just as I was heading for the airport, had no space in my luggage so I carried it onboard. Was only a Norwegian domestic flight though, had no problems. I hope it's still in spec after being x-rayed  :-DMM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf