Author Topic: New FindChips Tool  (Read 4338 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
New FindChips Tool
« on: March 08, 2012, 11:56:27 pm »
Supply Frame / FindChips, the forum sponsor, are rolling out a new online design tool soon.
If you want to sign up early and try it out, you can do so here:
http://www.frame-it.com/
And they are looking for feedback from early adopters to help shape it.
I've seen some of the concept and it looks interesting and potentially very useful for design.

Dave.

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
Re: New FindChips Tool
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 12:39:59 am »
Notify me by company e-mail when I can try it:

Does it mean they're not interested in hobbyists at least for now?

EDIT:
Prioritizing companies and people giving away reference links, I don't like this kind of marketing.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:43:57 am by McMonster »

Offline jcurie

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 01:11:16 am »
Sorry, hobbyists are welcome!   The company address helps us prevent giving access to people that copy Findchips.com and our other works and try to sell them as their own.  Ultimately, they will get access but we will try to delay it.

The invite-a-friend thing is a feature of a nice little tool we use for registration management called Prefinery.  If we hear that other people do not like this feature we will turn it off.

As Dave mentioned, we are seeking people that would participate in short video calls to share their feedback on product and ideas.  If you are interested in participating you can email me at jcurie  at  supplyframe.com

Thanks for your interest.

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 08:37:38 am »
Sorry, hobbyists are welcome!   The company address helps us prevent giving access to people that copy Findchips.com and our other works and try to sell them as their own.  Ultimately, they will get access but we will try to delay it.

The invite-a-friend thing is a feature of a nice little tool we use for registration management called Prefinery.  If we hear that other people do not like this feature we will turn it off.

As Dave mentioned, we are seeking people that would participate in short video calls to share their feedback on product and ideas.  If you are interested in participating you can email me at jcurie  at  supplyframe.com

Thanks for your interest.

Thank you for your reply. This line just looks like you only care for companies, might be worth rephrasing it or giving a brief explanation somewhere on the site.

If you mean making a screencast when I present what I like and what I don't like in this system, then I think I can do it. I've already applied with my e-mail, should I send you a message anyway?

Offline ToBeFrank

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 03:15:10 pm »
I just tried to sign up because I'm currently in the process of researching parts for my project. It is definitely geared for companies. I'm not going to sign up my company email for spam so I used my personal email. This is the response:

We are working on Frame-It right now and will be granting access shortly.  To get access earlier, you can do two things.  First, use a company email, these will be accepted earlier than free email accounts.

It sounds like the only way to get in early is to use a company email.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
Re: New FindChips Tool [AKA Frame-it]
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:05:10 am »
Found this existing thread, has anybody tried it, is it any good.

I have collected hundreds of PDF's over the years and was wondering if this makes things easier to find and catagorise local documents

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 06:05:49 am »

here's a couple of problems that NONE of these datasheet pools tackle :

- datasheet REVISIONS.
- Silicon revisions
- errata sheets.

There are numerous chips out there that have revisions to them. Sometimes you need an older version of the datasheet. Sometimes you need to be aware of ERRATA. And these are NOT visible in the part number.

a recent example : FTDI FT2232H.  there is one part number. But .. there are 3 versions of this chip ! There is only one datasheet , and it does NOT talk about version A and B ... for that you need the errata sheet.

Datashheets carry revision numbers and a time/date stamp. If there are different versions they should be shown.

Here is another example : process shrink:  Get a 74HCT547. There are at least 3 different process shrink versions of that thing. The electrical specs DO change and it is depending on the manufacturing date of the actual chip that you need to have the right version. So you need to be able to select the datasheet that covers your manufacturing date.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:11:53 am by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 01:03:18 pm »
I've just got a kindle so that I can carry datasheets and the like around with me, if they do something (an app ?) that will allow kindles or tablets to access the information that would be valuable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf