Author Topic: No more 50fps/60fps videos?  (Read 33802 times)

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Re: No more 50fps/60fps videos?
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2016, 12:20:41 pm »
You really shouldn't mix frame rates. Temporal stuff is a bitch. Intelligent frame interpolation does cause a tax to the processing time.  So if there is not processing time hit, it makes me think it's throwing out frames or just quickly blending them.  Not that I've noticed.

I can't control what Youtube does to the video after I upload it, Youtube always transcodes it.

Sorry if I mentioned this before (?) but if you're looking for a relatively cheap online back up method, you might get a Vimeo pro account.  Yea, not as a way to distribute, just as a second, third or forth back up.  I use it to upload 1080p content, and the nice thing is (I think you have to have a pro account for this) is that yes, they transcode your video for playback, but they give you a link to the original uploaded video for free(no compression - same as your upload).  It's kinda win/win assuming you're not pinching pennies to pay for it. ($17 a month - blah - cheap as chips!)

Reason being - I'm not sure if you've been following the horror stories of some you-tubers that have their account deleted - or put on probation.  One guy recently had a two year old video flagged for "Community Guideline Strike", and with some of your rants about religion and kickstarter projects(batterizer/solar roadways), it could easily happen to you by some hater(s). All it would take is X number of complaints and you're screwed.

This guy got his wrist slapped by ebay by just a few complaints for "hate speech" but they banished him from uploading videos longer then 15 mins - and missed out on a lot of money.  Scary stuff if you're making a living on youtube. You might want to watch this:

WARNING - lots of cussing in the video  :scared:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:30:56 pm by george graves »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2016, 01:28:23 pm »
Vimeo is a far better platform in many ways when compared to Youtube. I guess the big question for Dave is, does having the videos hosted on Youtube bring in the dollars? Of course he'd get more hits from people who aren't members of his forum. Then again, I wonder if the guys at Vimeo would consider giving Dave a free pro account to get his business (and a large part of his viewers)?

It might be an interesting experiment to compare the two. Upload videos to both platforms over the next few months and see what the stats say?

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2016, 01:48:29 pm »
Vimeo is a far better platform in many ways when compared to Youtube. I guess the big question for Dave is, does having the videos hosted on Youtube bring in the dollars? Of course he'd get more hits from people who aren't members of his forum. Then again, I wonder if the guys at Vimeo would consider giving Dave a free pro account to get his business (and a large part of his viewers)?

It might be an interesting experiment to compare the two. Upload videos to both platforms over the next few months and see what the stats say?

A.) Vimeo studders all the time.  They don't have the backbone youtube does.
b.) Vimeo doesn't pay at all - unless you charge per video.  And see how well that is working for AvE on youscrew.  As far as I know, it's backfired - but he hasn't shared his income - I do love his videos. See a really awesome chanel like SV Seeker (if you haven't you should) - the guy is building a huge steal boat, and documenting it on youtube

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2016, 02:15:09 pm »

Dave did a video a while back about using Dailymotion instead, most of the points are likely to be valid for Vimeo. I don't know anyone that looks at Dailymotion or Vimeo in all honesty.

I'm pretty sure advertising in various forms and donations are Dave's back-up. No smart person would rely on YouTube for the majority of their income.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2016, 06:26:13 pm »
I watched the 'Eli The Computer Guy' rant, what a bummer  but predictable. You Tube is not a democracy. Its a business that can do whatever they want. Whatever bitrate, whatever privacy policy, whatever content grading.

What the world needs is a revenue platform that is not integrated into one video service. Dave can't do this for free and YouTube is a dangerous platform. Vimeo is a great video hosting service used primarily by creative professional to distribute entertainment content. Most of my entertainment business co-workers forgot about YouTube years ago. None of them, however, have any revenue tied to the views/likes of their videos. They are using the videos as online resumes to get other work. Not really practical for EEV Blog or any other channel like it - where the content is the final product.

If YouTube continues a heavy handed approach to managing channels, A new solution will rise from it's ashes. A distributed platform that no one entity controls and back feeds the advertisers data for real revenue. If your ISP get angry, move to another. If your ad portal gets angry, move to another. Having the YouTube secret high court over my head all the time would be awful . There is no immediate solution today, but it's not far off. There is too much money in play for it to be ignored.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2016, 12:18:56 am »
Most of my youtube viewing I do on 720p at standard frame rates. Yeah the quality could be better, but it makes it much faster for skipping content, when I am looking for a particular part, or I am not interested in something and I want to skip. If I want to analyse something in detail I will bump it up but that's rare.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2016, 12:46:23 am »
Vimeo is a far better platform in many ways when compared to Youtube. I guess the big question for Dave is, does having the videos hosted on Youtube bring in the dollars?

Of course it does, it's the only game in town.
http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/eevblog
Take the upper side of that figure.
Name one person who makes a full time living on Vimeo.

Of course he'd get more hits from people who aren't members of his forum.

That's the entire point of being on Youtube. Half of my daily views come from random searches.
Move to vimeo and that drops to zero, and the number of remaining followers who keep watching would drop by probably 90%

I'm probably in a unique position in that I would likely survive if Youtube booted me, at least for a good while. But it would be bad, Youtube is the only game in town.

Then again, I wonder if the guys at Vimeo would consider giving Dave a free pro account to get his business (and a large part of his viewers)?

I used to have a Pro account.

I guarantee you it won't even get 1% of the views.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2016, 12:49:13 am »
I'm pretty sure advertising in various forms and donations are Dave's back-up. No smart person would rely on YouTube for the majority of their income.

Youtube has never been my only source of income (unlike maybe 95% of full time Youtubers). That's how I was able to go full time with only 10,000 subscribers.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2016, 12:59:10 am »
BTW, to upload my existing content to Vimeo would require the $529/year plan, otherwise it's a limit of around 8 videos (20GB) a week
But I guess it is cheap insurance as a high quality backup and I've been meaning to do it for a long time.
Dailymotion sucked arse. They offered to copy all my videos from Youtube, descriptions, keywords, everything, no work on my part, said they had an agreement in place with Youtube to do it. Sure enough it worked, but was 720p only and the quality sucked.  :--
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:08:58 am by EEVblog »

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2016, 12:26:26 pm »
BTW, to upload my existing content to Vimeo would require the $529/year plan, otherwise it's a limit of around 8 videos (20GB) a week

Yea, do the cheap plan, 20 GB a week is still worth it - unless they go belly up.  How knows if they are making money.

If YouTube continues a heavy handed approach to managing channels, A new solution will rise from it's ashes

Oh sure, like there real competitor to ebay, amazon, facebook or paypal - unlike most businesses where there is a top 3 that battle for 90 percent of the market - there is a monopoly on the internet - for good or for bad - youtube it it. (And I'm speaking in the US - yes, I know all about Alibaba, asian version of FB and youtube , and yes, I know you can send money in other ways - that's not what I'm talking about)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2016, 01:11:16 pm »
Yea, do the cheap plan, 20 GB a week is still worth it - unless they go belly up.  How knows if they are making money.

The "cheap" plan is $219/year

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2016, 08:09:35 am »
Ok, once again have Vimeo Pro account and all existing videos are being uploading.
Well, #450-current as that's all that fitted on a portable hard drive to someone who has unlimited internet connection   ;D
https://vimeo.com/eevblog
Could take days to process them all of course.
So I will now have a high quality online backup
No descriptions, links, keywords etc though, just the original file name as the title.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2016, 11:01:22 pm »
Got this message on Vimeo:

Seems it does like VBR using Handbrake (with RF=19), think the file isn't very high quality  ::)

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2016, 08:50:17 am »
1920 x 1088 video?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2016, 09:29:11 am »
1920 x 1088 video?

I missed that!
Seems Vimeo is rather confused by industry standard video files  ::)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2016, 09:31:43 am »
Anyway, 400+ videos uploaded and processed now.
Got a few videos that had unknown video processing errors, will have the re-upload those.
Another batch of the older video still to come, but otherwise looking pretty good:
https://vimeo.com/eevblog/videos

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2016, 09:40:26 am »
Got a few videos that had unknown video processing errors, will have the re-upload those.
Another batch of the older video still to come, but otherwise looking pretty good:
Why did you tag all the titles with "1920x1080" when vimeo is serving them at a variety of resolutions?

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2016, 09:49:27 am »
Why did you tag all the titles with "1920x1080" when vimeo is serving them at a variety of resolutions?

Presumably this is his local filename structure and Vimeo has just used these as the video titles.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2016, 10:58:01 am »

It's in the file name. Vimeo just puts the filename as the title, unless you change it. I ain't going and changing 800+ titles  ;D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2016, 12:41:17 pm »
I have used one called The Rename.

A free utility with pattern matching replacement of filenames and a lot of other stuff that I haven't explored.

and as far as I can tell, has not introduced anything nasty on my machine (and I do keep an eye out as well as using antivirus software.)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2016, 12:44:42 pm »
.... but the question is: Is a rename really necessary?

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2016, 12:52:56 pm »
Documenting the release resolution is an important tag for internal management purposes.
But it just takes up valuable space as the public TITLE of the video.
And if the distribution mechanism allows for multiple resolutions (like YouTube and Vimeo) it just causes confusion.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2016, 01:09:17 pm »
There must be a bulk rename utility available. You can't be the first person to confront this issue.

I'm not going to delete and reupload 400 videos.
And even if I did, the filenames don't have spaces in them anyway, so it's still wouldn't be right.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:13:59 pm by EEVblog »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2016, 01:11:07 pm »
He tried to create a YT alternative with Dailymotion but didn't seem impressed enough to do it properly with all the care an effort he puts into YT uploads.

I did not do it. Dailymotion said they would take care of everything and port everything across from Youtube (they did). But the quality and resolution sucked, that wasn't my fault.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf