Author Topic: optical audio or analogue  (Read 1528 times)

Offline peterthenoviceTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • rip the other half out put in a bread board
optical audio or analogue
« on: March 13, 2013, 12:30:30 pm »
on dave's vblog on audio phoolery he said that analogue is better, but I was under the thought that the dac in a nice pricey surround sound system would be better than in the 550-800$ tv. I guess it just depends on your setup,but maybe dave was 100% on the mark.
                                                                                              bad version
the picture in my mind of half and half:  media device-digital---hdtv/24 bit dac---analogue-surround sound/better dac.
                                                                                              good version
the picture in my mostly analogue:  media device-analogue---hdtv/24 bit dac---analogue-surround sound/better dac.

if you have a cheap dac but a good amp and speakers, it like running good wire with bad connectors. I am very open about this topic please correct me if i am wronge.
a craftsman multimeter, bk precsion scope

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
Re: optical audio or analogue
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 01:13:08 pm »
Your DAC is not going to be what limits your system; that title goes to the source (don't expect 24/192 audio to be better either) and your speakers. Between digital and optical, go for whichever is more convenient. Make sure you place your speakers correctly for the room you are in.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 01:31:31 pm »
Modern amplifiers don't even use DACs in the traditional sense. They use Delta Sigma modulators and perform the actual D/A conversion at high power levels.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline peterthenoviceTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • rip the other half out put in a bread board
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 02:04:37 pm »
thanks for clearing that up
a craftsman multimeter, bk precsion scope

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf