Author Topic: products you hate  (Read 133533 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: products you hate
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 01:48:46 am »
Products I hate include

1. MS Windows. Thankfully I only have to use it on the machines in the classrooms where I teach.
2. Web content management systems that make it impossible to do simple edits to webpages.
3. Inkjet printers.
4. String Trimmers / weed eaters. Specifically the part that is supposed to advance the line. I never can get it to work right.
5. MS Word.  caveat: If I need to write a letter, I write it as a text file and then I'll paste it into word to print it.

Products I love:
apple computers, weller soldering iron, toyota prius, pg tips tea, new balance shoes, ti-84 graphing calculator, casio fx-115 scientific calculator, microkorg synthesizer, and dropbox
Interestingly I was of the same opinion until I needed one with a scanner that we had stashed in the ceiling for ~2 years. Of course it refused to print anything as the printhead was dried up.
Easy to remove, it just unclipped for convenient replacement however being the tightwad that I am, I left it standing on wet paper towels for a couple of days, rewetting and changing them until no more ink was dissolved from the jets.
Placed it back in the printer with new cartridges and hey presto.....like new.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 01:57:56 am »
Products I hate include

1. MS Windows. Thankfully I only have to use it on the machines in the classrooms where I teach.
2. Web content management systems that make it impossible to do simple edits to webpages.
3. Inkjet printers.
4. String Trimmers / weed eaters. Specifically the part that is supposed to advance the line. I never can get it to work right.
5. MS Word.  caveat: If I need to write a letter, I write it as a text file and then I'll paste it into word to print it.

Products I love:
apple computers, weller soldering iron, toyota prius, pg tips tea, new balance shoes, ti-84 graphing calculator, casio fx-115 scientific calculator, microkorg synthesizer, and dropbox

This reminded me how much I hate leaf blowers. They seem only marginally more effective at raking leaves than the traditional method, but are much more effective at waking me up at 7:30am.
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Offline jesuscf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 03:42:15 am »
Not so much that I hate them, but for some reason I dislike Arduino.
Homer: Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!
Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
Homer: Yeah, but faster!

Offline R005T3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2016, 06:47:13 am »
Products I hate include

3. Inkjet printers.

Products I love:

Yes, inkjet printers... I switched to toner for a reason time ago and the preformace were totally different, then the printer broke  |O Because of a stupid needle falling inside the printer, so I switched to print-less: bought myself a tablet and catalogs, and other things are stored there. $300 on the dumpster...
Printers are a terrible thing: engegneered to fail. There's no escape. It's still annoying after all this time...  >:(

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2016, 07:14:08 am »
i also hate BMW with all my guts. it is scientifically proven that the moment you get a BMW you become an assole at hte wheel, on par with white women on an SUV
I dont understand why, but BMWs are really bought by idiots. But I love old BMWs a lot. I am really going to buy one (older E46), I simply love it. Charismatic look and well designed. Perhaps I am going to become an idiot. :o

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2016, 08:43:59 am »
Not really a category of product, but Subaru's (and the people who drive them).

Hey! Please be precise: Recent subarus and the people who drive them.

This is the Subaru I drive: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1994_Subaru_L_Series_Deluxe_Sportswagon_station_wagon_(2011-10-23)_02.jpg

Apparently car companies can go bad, just like Apple did. From a great product, solid, reliable, sensible and actually does its job (real 4WD, and no computer software trying to double-think you), to ridiculous stupid fakery.

As for products I hate... Everything from Microsoft, Intel and Apple in the last 10 years - goes without saying. But there's plenty more.

* Toothbrush handles with shaped soft rubber pads. These are porous and become hideously mold-infested. Also I deeply mistrust the medical safety of putting any kind of soft rubber product from China anywhere near my mouth. After seeing what a pair of ordinary rubber beach thongs did to the feet of a friend of my daughter's some years ago. But I can't find any old fashioned toothbrushes with plain hard plastic handles.

* 'Quick' oats. Don't ever accidentally buy these when you wanted Traditional rolled oats. Vile and inedible.

* Car headlights that have multicouloured beam fringes. Meeting these oncoming at night is dangerously distracting. Ditto headlights that are ridiculously bright.

* Incessant voice announcements on trains and stations. Perhaps for people who sit with blank mental states that might be bearable. Nothing to interrupt. If you actually want to maintain a chain of thought, forget it. 90% for this reason I now avoid traveling by train if at all possible. How fondly I recall the years before trains even had public address systems.

* Everything 'Cloud' in computing. How could anyone get sucked into this bullshit?
   'Cloud' is U floating among the CLODs.

* Google Plus.  "TerraHertz, why don't you try using Google+?"  Gee, you keep asking, despite my G+ avatar?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:18:39 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2016, 08:54:21 am »
i also hate BMW with all my guts. it is scientifically proven that the moment you get a BMW you become an assole at hte wheel, on par with white women on an SUV
I dont understand why, but BMWs are really bought by idiots. But I love old BMWs a lot. I am really going to buy one (older E46), I simply love it. Charismatic look and well designed. Perhaps I am going to become an idiot. :o
you will.
http://www.galwaydailynews.com/2015/01/15/scientists-confirm-link-bmw-ownership-asshole/

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2016, 09:06:40 am »
- Printers. Duplex A4 greyscale you said? I can't, drawer A3 is empty.
- Label printers. Never prints on the actual label itself.
- Androids. No consistency at all. Expensive models use different layouts. How are you supposed to provide support if they are all different? Even cheap models don't feature basics like proper hd-video or a compass! Symbian Java Applet Hell all over again.
- Windows 8/10. Too much compatibility issues and dependencies on the internet. (no internet, no login! yay!)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 09:24:46 am »

Reminds me. I hate that String trimmers (called whipper-snippers in Oz) exist at all. Does NOBODY consider what happens to all the nylon (or whatever) plastic fragments from these? The line doesn't just vanish, it abrades. The pieces fall into the soil. Do you think that's going to be good for earthworms? I hope YOU die from swallowing something sharp and getting it stuck in your gut. Stupid, thoughtless lazy idiots.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2016, 09:47:14 am »
I can't explain why, but I hate the Fluke 10 series multimeters.
http://www.industrialelectronics.biz/fluke/246.htm

I had to repair plasma TV sets on field with one of those, I let it home and used my own Fluke 75 instead.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2016, 10:59:15 am »
"Car headlights that have multicouloured beam fringes. "

Hid headlights are pure evil. I try my best to avoid it and it had been hard until recently when leds lights are starting to take over.

I am down to one car with hid headlights. Really live the old headlights with an orange glow.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2016, 11:19:14 am »
Let's see:
Anything with Linux and Android. I dont hate Apple, I just dont care about it at all. And anything designed to "also work on linux" is usually something which doesnt work at all, and UI is made by people who never seen a program in their whole life.
Non qwerty keyboards. Actually any IT product which is "modified for the local market"
Computers made by HP.
Bluetooth speakers. Sure, people need to make more noise.
Diesel cars.
Printers. Yeah they just dont work. WYSWYG? Not when the printing dialog comes up!
Blue LEDs.
Anything with facebook.

Offline Dataforensics

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2016, 11:30:04 am »
Car sound systems with apparent power output greater than the engine, where 90 percent is below 50Hz.

Motorbikes that are far louder than cars, put a silencer on it.

Vaping systems. It is bad enough being near a traditional smokers effluent, but now I have to endure clouds of sickly smelling fog from vaping machines.

Those plastic inserts for our domestic electrical sockets that are advertised as protection from children poking their fingers or other objects in. Our sockets already have shutters for that very reason.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2016, 11:38:49 am »
ASICs that are only made for the product run then are unobtanium.
BMW drivers, ( a hint; most 318i are not a sports car)
Drivers whose indicators are attached to the steering wheel and or brake pedal
PICs (MPLAB I am sure makes sense to someone but not this little black duck - lazy programmer)
Me, for switching on the prototype just one check short of finding the fault, |O
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2016, 11:51:36 am »
Products that take an odd number of batteries when they are mostly sold in pairs.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2016, 11:58:46 am »
"Car sound systems with apparent power output greater than the engine, where 90 percent is below 50Hz."

That's entirely possible.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 12:17:51 pm »
Drivers whose indicators are attached to the steering wheel and or brake pedal
You should probably go once to france. Or belgium. I think they banned indicators there, and also, you should only use brakes if you cannot make way with the horn. And pushing cars while parking is actually desirable. I dont think there is a single car which is not banged up by themselves. You should also bumper ride others, otherwise you are single second late from where you are going. And the car automatically has a built in parking space below it. Just leave it wherever.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2016, 01:18:07 pm »
The pumps at the gas station that have the large LCD screens and multiple speakers blaring advertisements at me.  Most luxury car owners.  Soccer moms on their cell phones driving SUVs that they have to look through the steering wheel.  Anyone who takes 2 parking spots in the parking lot of any store. 2 or 3 across baby carriages that the parents intentionally block isles with.  200+ cable TV channels and nothing interesting to watch.  Commercials on Cable TV, I remember when there were no advertisements on cable back in the 80's.  People who knock on my door/ call every phone I have trying to sell me stuff......

I guess, pretty much everything. :palm:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2016, 01:56:17 pm »
People who knock on my door/ call every phone I have trying to sell me stuff......
Good opportunity to troll them. If someone offer you perfect tariff for electricity, ask him how many volts offer they ?
"Well ... we supply standard 230V"
"Ou, but I have 220V electronics in my house !"
....or
"How many amperes you offer ?"

Offline Nuzzler

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2016, 02:12:32 pm »
I think we're seeing a trend. Like many others I dislike: tobacco stuff, Windows, printers, and cheapo tools.

- Nuzz

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2016, 02:36:36 pm »
I'm surprised to see so much hate for printers. Never had much trouble with them myself. I see other people having trouble, but it is usually down to lack of understanding of how to use them.

I always found the idea of printing, and the machines used for printing to be quite fascinating :).

I do rather dislike touch screens.

Offline Nuzzler

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 02:41:59 pm »
I'm surprised to see so much hate for printers. Never had much trouble with them myself. I see other people having trouble, but it is usually down to lack of understanding of how to use them.

I always found the idea of printing, and the machines used for printing to be quite fascinating :).

My dislike for them started back in the day when I did computer and network service/consulting which included printer diagnostic/cleaning/repair. The most annoying problems were printer-related -- typically driver issues and chronic paper jams. Fortunately I haven't had to fiddle with printers much over the past decade.

- Nuzz

Offline R005T3rTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2016, 04:26:15 pm »

Because you don't print that much. But when you want to have a reliable machine that's up to print more than 500 pages per month, things changes: you get easly pissed off... Also because you need a fume extractor for the toner particles.
Touchy stuff got better, but resistive display...  :--

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2016, 04:45:36 pm »

That's called 'low rider'. It requires stiffer suspension so you don't bounce into the asphalt. Around here it's an ethnic thing, hispanic lower their cars and whites raise their trucks. It's an artistic expression.

And their there are the dancing cars...

and the entertainment system cars

People are awesome.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2016, 04:51:21 pm »
:Anything from Microsoft with non user automatic functions -  automatically installing somthing I did not want.
automatically crashing without permission to do so. Microsoft wants to get into driver-less cars. No way!
:the space between computer USB Ports. what space. a minimum of 10mm is needed so two fat USB plugs will fit.
:cloud everything. my refrigerator does not need a URL nor does my toaster, or washing machine.
:Printers & the ink conspiracy. you buy the ink and get a free Printer with it.  use up all the ink buy more ink & get anuther free Printer.
:Printer software that automatically installing something I did not want. and automatically mess with my system setup. change image icons.
:Bad user interface designs  24 hour clocks on most home electronics but Im not in the military, my bedside clock has AM PM. why no others have it.
:LCD screen back-lights that automatically switch -off in 2sec with no user input inactivity , when the unit is using AC power. why its NOT using the battery. I had a radio that did this. 
:Bad on screen TV menu design. AV mode is afterthought, but I use it all the time!  im a gamer & do Not use the tv channels.
:Bad car dashboard design. pop up video screen why? do germans love to look at air vents in their cars?  in car Driver DVR's should be standard in 2016.
less then $150 to the cost of a new car. same go's for most in-car electronics. is so cheap.
 :in car mechanical CD stacker disc players !but why? just use a HDD like a PC for all your Music & Video.
:Environmentalists that live in Big cities And complain about Big cities.
just move out and live in the bush. no  electricity no cars no concrete, youl love it.
: auto spelling app's that fail to work.  :two barrel plug wall power adaptors one is AC the other is DC but both with the same size barrel plug.
:Led lights that fail ,Led lights that mess with my radio. compact fluorescent lights that fail. before one yr or two.  |O
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:42:38 am by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf