Author Topic: Pronouncing 0.15% as "Point fifteen percent" instead of "Point one five percent"  (Read 8030 times)

Offline rs20Topic starter

• Super Contributor
I notice that in a lot of non-technical content (often american TV), that when decimal number are verbalised (I'll take 0.15% as my example), they'll say "[Zero] point fifteen percent" instead of "[Zero] point one five percent".

I've been getting increasingly curious where this tendency is coming from. Does the USA Elementary School Maths Curriculum actively allow (or even encourage) this?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:23:27 am by rs20 »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
go outside

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Galenbo, newbrain, SiliconWizard

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
I'm not a native English speaker and I do pronounce it as "point fifteen percent". Not sure why. I don't think anyone taught me that specifically.

It is possible because in Russian it would be "fifteen hundredths of a percent". So the word "fifteen" is verbalized as is.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: rs20

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
I guess when you say point fifteen, hundredths is implied.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
Fifteen is just a word expression of two digits.  Where it is found in an expression is reasonably inconsequential.

If you want to get picky - you should stop saying that WWII ended in nineteen forty five.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:52:05 am by Brumby »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
I've always said "point fifteen", saying "point one five" sounds long winded and strange to me. That said, you could say either one and and I'd understand it just fine and probably not think anything of it.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
It's always been taught to say "point-one-five" rather than "point-fifteen".

A good reason for this is to avoid accidental mishearing or confusion between 15 and 0.15.

In most cases, reading the digits sounds most natural. For example, 1.25% is "one point two five percent".

(If speaking over the radio and correct reception is critical, one would pronounce 0.15 as "zero decimal one five".)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 03:56:57 am by IanB »

The following users thanked this post: rs20, tooki

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor

A good reason for this is to avoid accidental mishearing or confusion between 15 and 0.15.

In most cases, reading the digits sounds most natural. For example, 1.25% is "one point two five percent".

(If speaking over the radio and correct reception is critical, one would pronounce 0.15 as "zero decimal one five".)

and fifty doesn't sound that different from fifteen

The following users thanked this post: rs20, tooki

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
Use your preferred method using the same pattern from 0.15% to 0.01%. Is there a value where the pattern doesn't work well anymore?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
I'm a point one five man myself.

The following users thanked this post: optoisolated, basinstreetdesign, bd139

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Yes, this is what I was taught as well.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream

This is the only way it makes logical sense to me.
VE7FM

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
This is the only way it makes logical sense to me.

Fifteenth et.al relate to whole numbers only, or parts of whole numbers like Nineteen Fifteenth. When you are dealing with the decimal point you have entered the realm of scientific notation and it's important to be precise. I think it's a nice logical place for lexiconal (did I just invent a word?) split.

Offline austfox

• Regular Contributor

I think it’s more to do with the confusion between 15 and 50, or 17 and 70 etc.

If you listen to a lot of air traffic, you’ll find they are just as guilty of not speaking each digit, which is against all protocol.

For non-safety critical stuff I don’t see the problem.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
When I read the title I read it as point one five... No idea why but I always say each digit when It comes to decimals. Would you say point oh oh fifteen for .0015? Maybe but I wouldn't.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
"Point one five" if for no other reason that I cannot be mistaken, particularly if you're on the phone.

"Fifteen" sounds too much like "Fifty".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
I notice that in a lot of non-technical content (often american TV), that when decimal number are verbalised (I'll take 0.15% as my example), they'll say "[Zero] point fifteen percent" instead of "[Zero] point one five percent".

It is annoying and inconsistent.

How would such people pronounce 0.01%? Perhaps 0.01% as "zero point one percent"?

Or perhaps people should pronounce 2.150% as "two point one fifty percent".

(I do hope it is unnecessary to explain that 0.15 is not the same as 0.150)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
meh,  i'm still trying to work out why they keep using the 'hundred' unit after they reach 1000  "15 hundred" etc.
When most other places would say 1 point 5k or 1 thousand 5
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline jhpadjustable

• Frequent Contributor
  • Salt 'n' pepper beard
Our exceptional number system is base 100 :)
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Arduino, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
meh,  i'm still trying to work out why they keep using the 'hundred' unit after they reach 1000  "15 hundred" etc.
When most other places would say 1 point 5k or 1 thousand 5

And then a quarter of the world's population uses "lakh" and "crore" for 105 and 107 respectively.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
I would definitely say point one five.

Using the "fifteen" method then what is a half? Is it point five or point fifty?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
I would definitely say point one five.

Using the "fifteen" method then what is a half? Is it point five or point fifty?

It cold be either, or point "five hundred" or "point five thousand".

A better example is to ask how people would pronounce 0.1, 0.01, 0.001, 0.0001 etc. The twats will say they are all "point one" :)

Online Brumby

• Supporter
I would express it as "point one five percent".

I just cope with alternate forms of expression - so long as there is no ambiguity.  If I have any doubt, I will seek clarification.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado

One five leaves other room for error. It's not going to be perfect either way.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf