Author Topic: Quantum Computing Questions  (Read 3156 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Quantum Computing Questions
« on: June 17, 2020, 02:06:39 am »
I can move this to a more appropriate category later, but for now here is probably better.
I'm meeting a quantum computing expert and researcher this Friday for an interview. Camera in hand of course, so likely both video and Amp Hour content.
Although my style isn't to have prepared questions, if anyone has got any questions they want answered please leave them here.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Quantum Computing Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 03:33:39 am »
How do I tell my grandma why we need this ?

She is filthy rich btw, ready to spill all her money for the goodness of man kind for free.  ::)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 03:52:09 am »
In general, who are the biggest sponsors nowadays (if any) pouring money into quantum research. Military, financial industry, commercial (Amazon like maybe), medical, etc. IBM sworn they do it on their own, which, you know, I kind of doubt.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 04:01:24 am »
And let him explain , FFS and contrary to what everyone thinks, that breaking encryption is not the primary application of quantum computers.

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 04:02:25 am »
Will quantum computing considerably affect performance of programs a typical consumer uses and why not?
People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 06:37:18 am »
Ask about the real progress and practical results, not about hypothetical benefits or theoretical studies.

In the last 30 years or so, the quantum computing field is stalled.  Only big promises and big hype, but so far it didn't deliver.  No practical application to justify the huge research efforts invested in the field.  Not to say the drama of countless brilliant minds and young PhD's locked in an academic field with no future.

The only useful application so far (and that one, too, with a big maybe) is quantum encryption and quantum key distribution.  The rest (including D-wave, which is not a universal quantum computer) are just toys and demos, nothing is scalable.

Quantum computing is the best field to shout at "The emperor has no clothes!".  To me, all the hype around quantum computing is at the boarder of being called a hoax.

Also, try to get guests with pro and cons attitudes about the field.  If you have only one guest (maybe with a name that starts with 'Aa'  ;D ), you might get a very biased talk.

Looking forward for the talk, please drop a link to it here, after you publish the interview.

Very interesting theme for an interview, can't wait for it!   :-+

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 06:56:11 am »
About what to ask:

How their particular implementation of a quantum computer works?

That is, if they have their own quantum computer and not just a theoretical or simulated one, but if they have one, please ask an explanation for engineers/scientists.  No zombie cats or other generic kindergarten talk, meant only to hype and bamboozle instead of clarifying.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 07:01:54 am »
Quantum computer and quantum key distribution (QKD) are two separate things. QKD exists today, uses a different technology and has been commercialized. Quantum computer has not been, it has no commercial value yet. D-Wave is a separate animal and is not regarded as a quantum computer by many.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 07:20:11 am »
Indeed, that's why I said with a big maybe.  Quantum encryption it's not quantum computing, only very, very far related.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 01:47:30 pm »
I look forward to your video.  I know just about nothing about quantum computing (or quantum anything else) but if I have learned only one thing over the last 50 years, "Don't bet against technology!"  The machines today are at least 1000 times faster than machines of the '70s with vastly more memory and strorage.  Where does the next 1000x come from?

An application will come along that demands the technology.  We just aren't there yet.

I'm wondering if AI will expedite the creation of anti-virals and vaccines and I wonder how much computing power will be required.  Could I get a solution in less than a day with enough horsepower?

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2020, 03:21:45 pm »

1) Has anyone successfully explained how quantum computing works in a way that an intelligent 12 year old could understand?

2) What is it that is holding quantum computing back?  What is the limitation that we can't seem to get past and "make it real"?

3) Any ideas for simple quantum computing experiments that we can do in our home labs / basements / kitchens / garages / caves? 

Offline Syntax Error

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 04:31:08 pm »
@eevblog: Some more for the hat. Thanks.

There are many ways to implement a qubit. Which of these  methods, if any, will result in the construction of a reliable quantum computing platform?

Other than cyptography, what computational problems are quantum computers more suited when compared to electronic machines?

What are the biggest engineering hurdles to quantum computing, and how are these being solved?

So how exactly do you program a quantum computer?

What would be quantum computings' killer application?

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 05:03:06 pm »
There are a ton of videos on YouTube and I tend to head toward anything by computerphile so I searched for 'computerphile quantum computing'.  As an offshoot, there are dozens of other videos offered for viewing.

Somebody must think there is a future in quantum computing, Microsoft and Google both have labs working on the subject.  Probably the next version of Chrome or Office...

As to home quantum computing, that probably won't happen until there is home delivery of liquid helium.  The device likes being cold.  Like a fraction of a degree above absolute zero.

That's a limitation today in the same way that Eniac used vacuum tubes.  Within 20 years, transistors ruled, heat dissipation was substantially reduced and speed increased.  Seventy odd years later we have some fairly productive systems.

Cryogenic computing started back in '61 at IBM

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/mannerisms/memory-lane/ibm-launch-cryogenic-computer-2017-09/

If you want to bend your mind around "spooky action at a distance", quantum entanglement is the ultimate in distributed computing.  In theory, particles can simultaneously change state when displaced across the universe.  There's a lot of particles in our universe, it would make a heck of a computer.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/04/einstein-s-spooky-action-distance-spotted-objects-almost-big-enough-see

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 05:12:17 pm »
I've seen "Devs" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devs ... ask them for next weeks Lottery numbers.

You could ask them about error rates... and when to expect a useful and reliable result from one...

.... and who is investing the cash... spooks breaking crypto?

PS

And do they own a cat?  Do they keep it in a box?  [I bet they have never heard that one before..  :-DD ]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 05:28:46 pm by NivagSwerdna »

Offline emece67

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 05:37:08 pm »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 03:52:20 pm by emece67 »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 06:44:33 pm »
To me the best question would be: what kind of everyday problem can a quantum computer solve?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 07:39:45 pm »
Maybe go for more personal questions, more insights rather than generic questions that can only render generic Google answers.  For example:  how come that is now working in quantum computing research and not something else, what are some personal goals, hopes and expectations from the field, how a typical day looks like, etc.

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 07:46:59 pm »
Maybe try a best case/worst case/likely case question. As in:
Best case, where do you see quantum computing in 20 years assuming incredible successes everywhere, what's it being applied to etc?
Worst case, what's the worst likely thing that could happen to the area of quantum computing (i.e. theories are found not to be true, regulation...)
Likely case, same as best case, only use realistic assumptions.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2020, 04:19:59 am »
Also, try to get guests with pro and cons attitudes about the field.  If you have only one guest (maybe with a name that starts with 'Aa'  ;D ), you might get a very biased talk.

It's not a panel discussion unfortunately, and I won't be seeking out an "alternative viewpoint". In fact I wouldn't even know where to begin to find such a "non-biased" viewpoint. This guest has spoken publicly about quantum cryptography for example and how it's not even remotely close to being practical yet, so I doubt you'll get any hyperbole on that front.
Anyone working on this stuff is obviously going to be biased. And there is probably no point to talking to anyone who's not working on it  :-//

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2020, 12:40:41 pm »
That's a limitation today in the same way that Eniac used vacuum tubes.  Within 20 years, transistors ruled, heat dissipation was substantially reduced and speed increased.  Seventy odd years later we have some fairly productive systems.

I see that as one of the problems I foresee, they may never be usable at room temperature for reason of basics physics, and this will be one of my questions.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2020, 02:02:20 pm »

I see that as one of the problems I foresee, they may never be usable at room temperature for reason of basics physics, and this will be one of my questions.

Perhaps it will one day be possible to create a micro-environment inside a chip that is "hospitable" to quantum computing?   MEMS supercooling Stirling engine anyone? :D

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 04:59:39 pm »
There is no such thing as quantum cryptography, this term may be misleading. There is Post-Quantum cryptography, which is using quantum-resistant cryptographic algorithms running on regular computers. Encrypted data produced by such algorithms will be tough to crack even on quantum computers. And there is Quantum Key Distribution which has nothing to do with a cryogenic quantum computer.  So let him set the record straight what he means by quantum encryption, if other than using quantum computer to crack existing  RSA family of keys.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 09:44:33 am »
Thanks for the questions, I think most of them were covered in some way.
I have about 1hr 50min of footage.

Here is a short clip:

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 09:54:36 am »
Wow, can't wait, just upload it all!   :clap:

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2020, 01:05:45 pm »
Wow, can't wait, just upload it all!   :clap:

Not that easy, can't just dump it, needs editing for various things. I goofed the first 10-15min forgetting to put my lapel mic on  :palm:
The full length will go on EEVdiscover, a short maybe <20min version on the main channel, and any interesting tidbits like the one shown I'll render out and put on EEVblog2.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:07:17 pm by EEVblog »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf