Author Topic: Restoration Fake & or Damaged Beyond Repair  (Read 10482 times)

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
Re: Restoration Fake & or Damaged Beyond Repair
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 01:00:47 pm »
Quote from: Electro Detective
I gave that link a go  :-+  and picked a video at random >  youtube.com/watch?v=ppj3gqUTt9E
and whilst the content was spot on, I got caught unawares at first with the tech wearing a dress, make up, nails, wig?  etc   :o

and well, I have to ask..  :-//

Cracks me up. Reminds me of Red Dwarf with Arnold Rimmer and Mr Flibble.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 05:39:27 am »
For some really amazing mechanical restorations, look up 'my mechanics' channel on YouTube.  He does some really amazing stuff.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline vwestlife

• Regular Contributor
    • The Official AM STEREO Web Site
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 11:50:38 pm »
I do not believe this video is a genuine restoration
this Dude could make a killing repairing high end electronics , if its was true! 
I think this video was re-edited in reverse, with the cassette deck been first seen in working order.
with maybe some spot corrosion added on the metel at first. water soluble paint.
then secondly the same cassette deck been in the video water damaged, even battery acid used to speed up corrosion on the metal.
if this video is a genuine electronics restoration? I will be very very surprised.  :o
what do you think? my clue was the odd multimeter testing that was a bit too hard to believe. 
no spare parts, no new caps , or  :bullshit:
can anyone debunk this video? how it was made.
Here's Guitologist's "BUSTED!"-style response to that cassette deck "restoration" video:

Subscribe to VWestlife on YouTube
Retro Tech - Audio - Video - Radio - Computers - Electronics

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2020, 12:56:09 am »
I don't have an opinion on the video, didn't take time to watch it all.  But I have restored some really crusty stuff.  It is possible.  But given the time and money it took to do those restorations I don't think anyone could make real money at it unless they had a real stash of suckers lined up to pay enormous prices for the results.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2020, 03:45:50 am »
I don't have an opinion on the video, didn't take time to watch it all.  But I have restored some really crusty stuff.  It is possible.  But given the time and money it took to do those restorations I don't think anyone could make real money at it unless they had a real stash of suckers lined up to pay enormous prices for the results.
The money is not coming from selling the results, it's coming from YouTube...

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2020, 06:58:06 am »
I guess if you are looking for suckers you aren't too picky about where you find them.  And fake videos are generally easier than real restorations.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2020, 01:42:42 pm »
The money is not coming from selling the results, it's coming from YouTube...

There seems to be a burgeoning fake+copy cat video industry originating out of southeast asia. I thought it was just folks making rat trap videos in the similitude of Shawn Woods mousetrap monday's. Where for some reason they get away with more animal torture without youtube censor, by throwing captive bred rats on homemade electrocution devices ect. The guy in the original post linked video claims to be US located but clues in the video indicate otherwise, maybe Malaysia?

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2020, 02:12:45 pm »
Are there any of the highly-viewed restoration channels that have real restoration videos? I've only watched a few, but some are clearly bogus (like the OP) while others might be more believable?
This Old Tony does restoration sometimes.
Like he spends 30 minutes making a bolt, and you still watch it.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2020, 06:37:16 pm »
"Like he spends 30 minutes making a bolt, and you still watch it."

I have no problem with this, the man wants to get it right first time so he isn't rushing the job.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Gregg

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2020, 11:44:19 pm »
Wray Schelin is a sheetmetal wizard if one is looking for real restoration videos. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU4f0UCOfiB32Lo4Z6NDghA/videos   
Look at the series where he forms a new Jaguar X type bonnet from aluminum using his method of making a pattern with tape strips and then shrinks and stretches the metal to fit the pattern.  But the twisted metal doesn’t look at all like it will ever become the piece he wants to match until he massages it into shape.  :popcorn:
He also holds classes to teach others his skills.  :-+  :-+

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2020, 05:56:14 am »
Given the amount of work, time and materials involved alone in restoring the tape deck, compared to the cost of buying one off eBay (for under $50), I'd say if it was real, they must be expecting ad-revenue from YouTube to fund their effort because it looks to be a crazy use of time and energy. I know some people have a passion and hobby for doing this type of work even if it is not economically feasible and they will end up losing more money than they get, in exchange for the pleasure and self-satisfaction of pulling off the restoration. Nevertheless, it just looks too good to be true. If this was real, I would be very impressed. I haven't watched the "busted" video yet, I'll have to see what clues they used to back their claims but I wouldn't be surprised that these types of "fakes" videos exist. Call them "Faketertainment".

[ADDED:]

One more thought... one good argument for thinking it is a fake is the amount of work invested in this device before any basic electronics troubleshooting (unless it was not included in the video). Imagine you find a piece of old junk covered in mud and rust on the side of a river/lake and decide you want to restore it. Why was it junked? Does a perfectly good set get dumped on the side of the river? Perhaps there are issues with it? Before you invest all that time and energy, would you not do some basic electronic investigation into the worthiness of the device? I mean obviously you have to clean off the mud and dry it... I get it. But before you start dismantling the tape deck mechanisms and polishing them all, wouldn't you want to just power up the board and see if it shows signs of life?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:15:16 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2020, 01:33:46 pm »
Another good restoration channel (Mostly dealing with old generators/fans/battery chargers and the like) is this one.

His most recent generator repair

My favorite of the Battery Charger fixes.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2020, 01:09:15 pm »
That one is very good, he also restores old refrigerators.

One of the clues that a restoration is fake is if it doesn't have any narration at all.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2020, 08:59:45 pm »
That one is very good, he also restores old refrigerators.

One of the clues that a restoration is fake is if it doesn't have any narration at all.

Not exactly, Hand Tool Rescue and Tysytube never talk and rarely put in captions.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf