Author Topic: Return of 502- Bad gateway Error  (Read 58661 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Return of 502- Bad gateway Error
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2017, 03:42:27 am »
Don't know if any upgrades have been done, but no errors at all today!  :)
:clap:
Just checked my Unread Replies link that's returned 502 errors for days and up until a few hours ago, instead of using it I leave a tab open and just refresh it......don't need to do that now.  ;D

Hope I don't have to post in this thread again.  :-\
:o  >:(
It's back.  :--
Away from PC for a while, hit unread replies......502.  :wtf:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2017, 06:49:36 am »
Please be patient, we are working on a solution to the issue, prior there was a database table lock contention issue which was been resolved, but in doing so the servers workload has been increased. Dave is having additional RAM installed today which will allow us to cache the entire database working set into it, which should improve performance considerably.

We also have some server back end changes coming soon after some testing and debugging is done, a select group of users are currently using the new configuration and when we are confident it is ready it will be switched on for the masses.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2017, 07:36:06 am »
It is probably due to the server upgrade, I just had a session timed out message and Connection Problems message. This is the first time I have seen those messages.
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 07:43:45 am »
It is probably due to the server upgrade, I just had a session timed out message and Connection Problems message. This is the first time I have seen those messages.
The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Please also note that after the server comes back online there will be a period of tuning which will cause various errors and timeouts, I will update this thread when this is completed, there is no need to report these and I apologize in advance for the frustration it will cause.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 08:25:11 am »
All good here so far gnif.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2017, 05:10:44 am »
Strange, when I use Chromium on Ubuntu 16.04 I am getting the 502 - Bad Gateway message for the forums.

However, in another browser on the same machine (Mozilla Firefox) I am able to load the forums and currently posting this message. I've tried refreshes, clearing caches, etc.... all to no avail. Chromium doesn't want to load the forum, but Firefox is ok. I wonder if maybe it is a browser compatibility issue?

The other thing I've noticed is that Firefox complained that EEVBLOG wasn't secure. I'm not sure if that has always been the case, or if we lost the https or something changes with a certificate?

[EDIT:  I didn't realize this thread was from March... I just searched because I was experiencing this problem the last couple of days. Anyone else notice this?]
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline igendel

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Every Bit For Itself (Programming & MCU blog)
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2017, 05:15:52 am »
Anyone else notice this?

Me too, on Firefox - the links for "Show unread posts since last visit" and "Show new replies to your posts" lead me to a 502 page for a few days now. The actual URL has a "/" at the end, if I delete it manually I get the expected pages.
Maker projects, tutorials etc. on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/idogendel/

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2017, 05:19:52 am »
It appears that the forum was taken down within the last few hours(?) for maintenance or upgrade, etc.  I noticed that I repeatedly saw the same "down for maintenance" notice whenever I tried back after a few minutes.  Until I remembered that there is some significant culpability from the browser here.  It doesn't actually re-try the URL, it just shows the same notice over and over again.  I finally remembered and forced the browser to refresh the page, whereupon, EEVblog Forum was back in all its glory.

So the learning from that is to use the explicit browser refresh page function before concluding that the page is really not available.

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2017, 11:05:13 am »
I've been getting the 502 - Bad Gateway error the last few days as well. It seems to only happen when I click on the "Projects, Designs & Technical Stuff" link while reading a message within that subforum (that is, to go back up to the subforum level from the thread level). It does not happen when I click on that subforum heading from the main forum list, or when I refresh the subforum while reading it. To clarify, click on this:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/

Seems to work fine, whereas if I click on this while currently reading a message:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

I get the 502 error. Clicking on that link here (ie - from this message) seems to work, however, and that is all kinds of puzzling to me. But, I'm struggling to get a wordpress based site up right now so clearly I'm no authority on website internals...  :P

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2017, 02:31:50 pm »
I've been getting the 502 bad gateway screen in bursts since the 4th. Always on attempting to fetch the forum front page. When it comes up it's persistent - every retry gets the same thing. I just go away and do something else, when I try again in 20 minutes it's OK. I'm using Firefox.

Incidentally the "bad gateway" message still includes a message from last March. See screen cap attached.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2017, 11:43:52 pm »
I had the 502 thing as well, and fixed it the usual way:  :clap:

File  >  Tools  >  WTF  > Patience  >  Try Again Tomorrow  > STAY CALM >  click OK

Works every time   :-+

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2017, 12:20:12 am »
Gah - I get this!

Error 503

The Error 502 file could not be found - contact your system administrator

:rant:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2017, 12:24:51 am »
I think that page has some caching pragma's in it so it sticks around like shit to a blanket - which would make sense if the server was really down as you want that page to be visible.
The problem is, when there is a short outage it is hard to get rid of that page.

I do this to force a reload - and therefore determine if the server is down or if its just the error page hanging around.
 (Google Chrome on Windows)
Hit F12
Right click the reload button on the Chrome toolbar.
Select Empty Cache and Reload
Hit F12 again

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2017, 03:44:00 am »
I think that page has some caching pragma's in it so it sticks around like shit to a blanket - which would make sense if the server was really down as you want that page to be visible.
The problem is, when there is a short outage it is hard to get rid of that page.

I do this to force a reload - and therefore determine if the server is down or if its just the error page hanging around.
 (Google Chrome on Windows)
Hit F12
Right click the reload button on the Chrome toolbar.
Select Empty Cache and Reload
Hit F12 again
You nailed it Rog.
F5 works fine each time I hit a page that returned the 502 when the forum was down.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2017, 04:59:26 am »
Interesting. For the last couple days been having trouble accessing the general chat. 502 bad gateway. This  both my phone and desktop. Desktop using firefox...but could access it using microsoft edge browser. But i opened Firefox on desktop and pressed F5. Now i can access it on both desktop and phone now. How? I never did F5 to clear cache on phone? Thats weird. Is it something stored in the modem causing the error then.....wait...

Cant be. Because i could not access general chat on LTE4 network either...not just wifi. Im confused.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2017, 06:25:09 am »
Interesting. For the last couple days been having trouble accessing the general chat. 502 bad gateway. This  both my phone and desktop. Desktop using firefox...but could access it using microsoft edge browser. But i opened Firefox on desktop and pressed F5. Now i can access it on both desktop and phone now. How? I never did F5 to clear cache on phone? Thats weird. Is it something stored in the modem causing the error then.....wait...

Cant be. Because i could not access general chat on LTE4 network either...not just wifi. Im confused.

What you are seeing is the difference between correlation (or coincidence) and cause and effect.

Changes at the server seem to have fixed the problem.

John

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 11:09:17 pm »
It was obvious the issues were not due to members computers, browsers, cookies, skinny milk, or locations  :-\

When there's a server problem, or an update, failed drive, or some d!ckhead DOS sp@mmer  >:(  bringing the system to a halt etc

members have to back off on the requests, log out and give the EEV admin a chance to sort it out  |O

A couple of days without EEVblog isn't that tragic,
ok it is for many, but a week or two offline is a lot worse if everyone is banging on the 502 gate all at once   

Is it all ok for everyone now?     :-// 

all good here in Australia  :-+

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2017, 12:04:00 am »
I was getting very consistent 502s on the "unreadreplies" link for days.
I tested with an incognito window (no shared cookies), logged in, and the unreadreplies link worked.
Back to the normal window, that link 502s. It was totally repeatable.

I then went into my cookies in the normal browser window and deleted the forum.eevblog cookies one by one, testing after each deletion. Whatever I deleted first didn't do anything. The second cookie was something like _unam and after deleting that one, the unread replies link works fine 100% of the time.

I thought the suggestion farther up thread to "delete cookies and try again" was just voodoo, but in this case, it was voodoo that seems to have fixed the problem for me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2017, 01:38:21 am »
sokoloff, I did the same drill as you and the 502 was consistent and or intermittent, some posts showed up, some 502

If members keep banging on the door, they will get an answer eventually  |O ...not sure if that helps the guys trying to get the server biz sorted out   :horse: 

I'd rather wait it out   :popcorn:    works every time,
including this time, and no messing with browser settings required, except for log out and page closures   
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:40:58 am by Electro Detective »

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2017, 02:28:53 am »
These are common on sites running nginx or cloudflare, there are configuration options that will fix them if that isnthe case. i have the same problem on a forum I run.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2017, 02:22:40 pm »
Lots of 502s these days.  :-BROKE
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2017, 08:51:16 am »
A couple of 502s appeared yesterday, but gone today

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2017, 09:36:09 am »
Yep, I'm getting them more often than not from various different connections/locations, even after clearing cookies/browser cache. Will keep an eye on it over the next little while.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2017, 12:17:30 pm »
1605 Guests, 251 Users (3 Hidden)
and plenty of 502s.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 12:30:40 pm »
Still happening for me a few times today. gnif hasn't gotten back with why yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf