Author Topic: Tear down of a javelin missle guide computer  (Read 2423 times)

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Tear down of a javelin missle guide computer
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2023, 06:01:37 pm »

This is the result of your average hit.
Keep on lying.
I didn't call you names, did I?

Offline EPAIII

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2023, 09:34:40 pm »
Yes, there are many routes where military equipment can make it's way to unauthorized persons.

Back in the 60s I worked at the US Army Missile Command in an office with over a dozen file cabinets that were stuffed with Confidential and Secret documents on then current, missile systems. Many military secrets were there. We went to great measures to insure it was all either being constantly watched by one of us or all the cabinets were locked, checked, and double checked, usually at the end of each day. But we had little doubt that the Russians already knew at least 95% of it. How did they get it? EVERY WAY they could.

Keeping military secrets secret is a very, very difficult task.

I would be very surprised if the Russians did not have special squads roaming the battlefields grabbing whatever they can find. And likewise for the Ukrainians and even some US personnel. Heck, Ukrainian farmers are hauling Russian tanks behind their tractors, probably to turn them over to their army....

That would not surprise me, but between the age of the design and the U.S. military's poor inventory control, anyone who needs them has probably already collected and parameterized enough good examples. A quick search for javelin missile "stolen" gave a Ukranian market price of $30K/unit.
Paul A.  -   SE Texas
And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
You will find that it has discrete steps.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2023, 11:15:16 pm »
Nice design anyway. That's one thing with military equipment - you can design reliable stuff and not have to bother with aiming for the lowest cheapest crap you can get away with.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2023, 11:19:07 pm »
Nice design anyway. That's one thing with military equipment - you can design reliable stuff and not have to bother with aiming for the lowest cheapest crap you can get away with.
...unless your budget is limited and you need to manufacture extreme volumes of the device. Reducing the price per one good russian is essential.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2023, 02:00:17 am »
I love that there are some form of DSUBs in there.  So much for not being good for "high vibration environments" :)

DSUB's were designed for the military and are extensively used in old military gear for internal connections.
You can see them in my B52 astrocompass teardown:
https://youtu.be/hzGaO4Kdz2Y?si=-r6GMKGZy3Z5xBlf&t=510

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, SiliconWizard

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2023, 10:07:29 pm »
I understand another issue is that people are (were?) not getting enough time to learn the system which further lowers its success rate.
Early report, it has 93% hit rate, catapulting the T72 tower into low earth orbit.
The latter is not due to the explosive charge in the missile but a stupid design of the tank. The munition isn’t stored in the turret of the T72 but in the body. Hit the body and all the munition goes off at once which blows the turret away. That is why you see people jumping from a T72 when they suspect there is somebody around with an anti-tank weapon. There is no chance of survival inside the T72.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2023, 10:16:01 pm »
Somehow that seems to be no longer true. If you can make large volumes of simple weapons using Arduinos or RPis, you can be very effective. War is all about logistics and careful/effective use of resources.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf