Author Topic: The ultimate question  (Read 21217 times)

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
The ultimate question
« on: May 15, 2016, 03:36:41 am »
I am 14 and I am starting to take a few college courses. I just finished Algebra and Trigonometry as a course and have registered for precalc for fall semester. Going into these clases (And to use in regular homeschooling) I was introduced into the world of advanced computerized calculators. My mom bought a Ti-83 plus calculator to use. They are the most popular calculator in the world and are insisted for use on almost every test and math class. I didn't try it at first though as my dad had an HP48G. I picked the thing up and had no clue how to use it until I just started pushing buttons and figuring things out.

Long story short the HP calculator grew on me, and I began to wonder why the brand new Ti calculator was so horrible. The HP48G had RS232 and IR communications, it could be programmed using more complicated languages then the Ti-83. Later on I found out about the whole deal with the calculator market and why Ti sold 5 dollar crap for 120 bucks. It was stupid why spend 120 dollars on something I could probably make myself as it's so poor. The 48G was better in every single way possible AND was mod friendly. What gave?

Present day I love HP calculators. I own the 50G and my dad (Who never touched the damn thing save for one class) practically gave me the 48G. They are great calculators and RPN is SO much faster then Algebra. It's like learning how to type versus tapping each key one by one. The 50G was faster, cheaper (I got it for 45 bucks, probably might be a couple left on amazon), supported up to 1 GB in SD card storage, had an ARM processor, a more intuitive and efficient operating system, and more.

(This is the point where the life story ends and the reason I am making this post exists)

HP or Ti (There are others but I have never seen a Sharp or Casio)

Which one do you use and furthermore aside from the recognition name a reason that Ti has the better calculator.

My opinion stands that they don't, and that HP out classes them in EVERY single way shape and form. HP has made the better calculator for DECADES, and RPN is the BEST thing to use.
It might sound a bit fanboy diehardy, but I am serious when I say that Ti has no reason to be in business aside from the fact that they cornered the market through clever tactics.

I feel bad for HP because  they are the one nobody has heard about and they are the calculator that I use when programming and in my studies. They are the calculator that I want to use daily for any task.

So respond with your opinion, and feel free to say anything. I just want to know if anyone has realized this, and what people's thoughts are.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: The ultimate question
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 03:44:28 am »
It is many years since I ever pushed a button on a calculator. They are, for the most part, a relic from a bygone age. I spend my working day in front of a computer and there is nothing I want to calculate that I can't do better on my computer screen. If I were out and about I would probably look for a phone app before I reached for a calculator.

Long story short, calculators like the TI-83 are there for the education market. You will use one through college, then you will put it in a drawer and forget it.

The HP calculators were very nice, but they find themselves in the modern world without a need any more.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 03:46:33 am »
I prefer a physical calculator. I don't own a phone and even if I did I still would not use it. Heck I have had a tablet with a 48G emulator RIGHT next to me and my calculators.

I see your point and it honestly depresses me that people have abandoned good devices with specific purpose.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 03:56:13 am »
I understand where you are coming from, believe me. When I was 14 the year was 1976 and pocket calculators were magical devices. I used to drool over shop windows full of calculator displays, and we all compared our calculators at school for features and accuracy (there were many brands back then and no two people had the same calculator). When new calculator models came out we used to read the reviews and see what new advances they had. I blew my whole savings on a TI-58 when it was first sold (it was about $500 in today's money). So I get it, I do.

Unfortunately, times change, and you will probably find in time that your perspective changes too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 03:59:18 am by IanB »

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 04:10:43 am »
I still have a number of stand-alone calculators, but to be honest if I want to calculate something away from my desk I use Pcalc on my iPad.

At the desktop or laptop I tend to use bc, dc or (libreoffice calc if I have it open). For quick and dirty it's 'mate-calc'. Away from that its  just the the RPN calc app on my iPad.

At school I used whatever was the "approved" Casio calc at the time. Sure, I had a couple of Dad's old HP's, but once you got sick of explaining the limits to the programmability and how they met the "approval" requirements it was just easier to use one of the blessed models, and I stuck with that through school because I didn't want to get into an exam and have to think about how to use the damn thing because I was used to my RPN HP. I didn't seriously go back to RPN until I was in my mid 20's and starting to write compilers/interpreters. I'm now in my 40's and still reach for an RPN calc. I just don't use the hardware anymore.

Everyone works differently, and I know my wife has been at my iPad when I find the calculator switched out of RPN mode. There is no right answer for everyone, just something that works for you. Oh, and don't expect your teachers of examiners to understand. They are too busy dealing with the dregs of the system to get involved in your choice of mathematical augmentation device.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 04:26:04 am »
Given the sentiment that calculators are out of place in these modern times, and that math is an interest of yours, for the fun of it get a copy of what the calculators displaced - a slide rule. Get a fancy one with all the log and trig functions.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 05:27:11 am »
 I wish I could find it, I found among the treasures in the house a slide rule, not a full featured one, but it did the basics, and it had a little sheet carefully folded to fit in the case with it which explained how to use it. Always one for an intellectual challenge, I taught myself to use it by following the instructions. Where it's gotten to now I have no idea, nor do I readily recall how to use one.
 Physical calculators, I have none, my last one was the great Casio engineering one I used in college and right up until my then 2 or 3 year old 'hid' it by putting in a table lamp, sitting on top of the bulb. Which promptly melted through the case, which was half the buttons, before I noticed it in there (by the smell of melting plastic). Back in the day I lusted after the TI-59 and TI-58. I did end up with a TI-57 in high school - another one I wish I could find, I still have the manual that came with it, and even the charger, but not the actual calculator. Since as things went, I didn't end up working as an EE much after graduation, I don't do many complex calculations, and just use the calculator in Windows, or one my phone if I'm not at a computer. Having all that math background that goes with an EE degree, I do most basic math in my head. Contrast to my GF, who is always asking me things like "If I did 8 hours on Monday, and 9 hours on Tuesday, and 6 hours on Wednesday, how much is that?" and always keeps a physical calculator on her desk to add up numbers.
 TI pretty much has a lock on schools. I don't know if they still have this stuff, but my ex wife is a 6th grade math and science teacher, and she used to have classroom sets of TI calculators plus a special clear teacher model to put on an overhead projector and project the display on the screen. In higher grades they had TI-30's. But after my TI-57, I had a brief fling with the TRS-80 pocket computers, and then went to the Casio engineering models, my first one was the Radio Shack version of one of them, then I replaced that with the one that got melted, which had all sorts of physical constants stored plus did number base conversions for programming and basic logic. Which also brings up another point, since my first computer was a single board system that you programmed directly in hex, I learned the conversion between hex and decimal quite well and usually do conversions in my head with hex, decimal, and binary. Since I didn't learn on an 8080, my octal is pretty weak. Most kids these days seem to have a lot of trouble with base conversions, it's just not something there is much need for until you start poking around the innards of microcontrollers and similar programmable devices. It's a different world when you've always had computers and smartphones. Us old-timers remember that stuff first appearing - I was 14 when I built my first computer. There were others available, but nothing I could afford.

So to return to the subject, it's not so much that TI had better calculators, it's that they supplied heavily to the education market (see the part about the classroom calculators). HP and RPN always ere somewhat of a specialty device not commonly seen outside of professional engineering (and sometimes business) applications. I did learn to use an RPN calculator as self defense, as most of my college professors had the 48C or some variant, and were all too happy to loan it to you if yours went dead in the middle of an exam. But since most has TI's, they were totally lost on how to use the HP. I never had to, my Casio never let me down. HPs were also a lot more expensive. And a true algebraic calculator, not a simple 4 banger type, is usually easier for most people compared to learning RPN - you can just key in the equation as printed and be confident the order of operations will be followed. No thinking.

Offline JacquesBBB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 08:42:03 am »
I have a hp32s that I bought 30 years ago. It was perfect at the time. It still is. Already I knew it was useless to have complex programming functions as for this computers are much more
Usable. But for small operations, despite I stand most of the time in front of a computer,
I grab the hp32s.
Also the batteries last forever, several years.

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 09:10:03 am »
I promised I'd not get myself into a calculator religious war - oh well. Excuse the length but I think this is a valid criticism of HP calculators.

Some history of my experience with calculators...

At school I had an old Casio FX-100D. This lasted several years and I genuinely had no problems with it.

Then I did A-levels which demanded something slightly less crap so I got a then very new TI-81. I managed to make a few quid selling a betting game I wrote for it around my school that allowed you to race horses using the terrible pseudo-random number generator in it. Then I sold a tip that allowed you to pre-seed the RNG so you could predict who would win.

Then I hit unversity which is where the problems started. Thanks to the student loan back then I could afford an HP48G, so I bought one and spent weeks learning about how it worked. This was to the detriment of my studies unfortunately so I managed to flunk the first semester's mathematics course. The learning curve was large. I did the whole course again myself over the next month.

On the second year, it failed. Completely. Just didn't turn on. So in a panic, and with very little cash, I hit the local shops and found a Casio 9700G and bought it because you can't just turn up in a shop in the UK and buy an HP calculator. HP sent a replacement unit out but it took 4 weeks. By then I'd decided to stick with the Casio because I'd adjusted to algebraic notation again. Sold the replacement HP48 to another student and blew the left over cash on another unit as a spare.

So I managed to stick with this one until about 1997 when I bought a 9750G on sale one day for £50.

Going forwards a few years I turned into a calculator and mathematics geek from about 2000-2009 while I was workign through Feynman Lectures on Physics. During this phase I had about 100x TI83's (see later), TI Nspire, TI Nspire CAS, TI89, TI92, HP41CX, HP50G, HP49G and piles of lesser programmable Casios. The large quantity of TI83's was due to the fact I found out that at the end of the school year you could bag a TI83 for £5-8 on eBay due to market saturation and then sell them again at the start of the year for £40 a go making a large pile of cash. I hate the TI83 though, primarily due to the studpid shifted exponent.

However this was all empty and soul-less. The pinnacle, the HP 50g was slow, obtuse, bug ridden and complicated and nothing but a repetitive eye poking. The NSpire was horrible to use, the TI92 large and tried to kill you, the TI89 invonvenient and nothing more. The worst was the HP41CX, which was like peering into the soul of a basic state machine all day. Plus all of them were chock full of bugs an oddities. So I sold the lot and used the calculator built into my Mac at the time which was quite good.

Plus I found no high end calculator solved a single problem that couldn't be solved with a pencil, paper and understanding. You just need something to plug in the values of what you've worked out later. Be the CAS, don't buy one :) You don't need graphing; just a screen big enough to see the last thing you entered.

So poking around in some drawers a couple of years back I found my old Casio 9750G. I put some new batteries in it. It still works. Within 10 minutes I'd worked out all the primary functions again. I just picked it up now. It still works. Within 10 minutes I'd worked out all the functions again. I just looked on Amazon and found I can get exactly the same device with some turd polish nearly 20 years later.

That's what I found to be valuable: reliability, simplicity and fungibility. Unlike HP. Unlike TI. Casio you won for me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 09:14:09 am by MrSlack »

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 12:36:05 pm »
... I spend my working day in front of a computer and there is nothing I want to calculate that I can't do better on my computer screen. If I were out and about I would probably look for a phone app before I reached for a calculator.

Long story short, calculators like the TI-83 are there for the education market. You will use one through college, then you will put it in a drawer and forget it.

The HP calculators were very nice, but they find themselves in the modern world without a need any more.

I really dislike using Windows calculators. They are the last resort, sort of like "limp home mode" is a car. A conventional tactile calculator is far easier to use than anything Billy Gates can conjure up. Using a mouse or bloated keyboard just does not cut it. Fatiguing and annoying.

A brilliant calculator for your portable telephone is RealCalc. Check out the free version. It is so good, I bought it for a few $ to reward the author design and to get some extra features.

Its true about calculators like the TI-83. After the exams, they end up in drawers pretty much.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 01:50:44 pm »
I really dislike using Windows calculators.

So do I. I use a keyboard driven algebraic calculator for basic things, I use Google for unit conversions, and I use Excel for more elaborate calculations.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 04:11:40 pm »
I like these opinons. Calculators I think do still have a use. They are specific devices that are good at what they do. These calculators have had around 40-50 years of development placed into them from the original four function calculators to the current HP Prime/Ti NSpire with CAS functions.

I hope to keep and use my HP calculators for my life forward.

The HP calculators for me weren't hard to figure out. I had to look up a few things, but other then that it was really easy, and I got results.

I use calculators when calculating absolute positioning in java for games (Sorry real programmers, but this is the better way)
I hate computer calculators because you have a limited selection of physical buttons. Any special functions you need to click, and
clicking off buttons on a computer calculator is clunky and akward.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 11:39:38 pm »
I was always an RPN fan, simply because the order of keystrokes was always consistent.  On some of the algebraic calculators doing functions like nth roots and so on it isn't as obvious what normal algebraic entry means.  With newer calculators it doesn't matter much because the display shows clearly what the calculator did and you can easily correct before actually calculating.  The deep stack and display also reduces some of the other RPN advantages.

Back when calculator wars were a thing, Consumer Reports did one of their comparisons between HP and TI calculators (if I remember correctly it was the HP-45 and TI-59 being compared).  One factor that stood out to me was their conclusion that the TI calculators were more reliable.  This was based on their durability test which simulated being accidently knocked off of a file cabinet or desk onto a concrete floor.  The much lighter TI-59 did far better in this test than the HP-45.  At the plant where I worked there were literally hundreds of engineers, split fairly evenly between TI and HP.  In actual use the TIs failed more frequently due to the lower quality of the keypads.  (No one dropped their calculators, they cost too much to treat roughly, particularly the HPs which cost about a sixth of what a new car cost).  Consumer reports had honestly tried to create a test for reliability in an office environment and dutifully reported the results.  This comparison was a lesson for me.  It is easy to be correct, but not right.  So I read Consumer Reports with a grain of salt, and maintain a lot of caution about whether I am right, or merely correct.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 12:09:42 am »
It is many years since I ever pushed a button on a calculator. They are, for the most part, a relic from a bygone age. I spend my working day in front of a computer and there is nothing I want to calculate that I can't do better on my computer screen. If I were out and about I would probably look for a phone app before I reached for a calculator.

I use a physical calculator every day. Nothing beats having something right there that you can carry with you, always works instantly, is never out of battery, never locks up, never updating some crap etc.
Computer calculator are horrible to use, and the only phone calculators that are any good are the ones that ones that emulate the look and feel on real calculator. There is a reason for that...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 12:11:06 am »
A brilliant calculator for your portable telephone is RealCalc. Check out the free version. It is so good, I bought it for a few $ to reward the author design and to get some extra features.

I've use RealCalc on my phone  :-+
(but only when I don't have access to a real calculator)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 12:12:19 am »
That's what I found to be valuable: reliability, simplicity and fungibility. Unlike HP. Unlike TI. Casio you won for me.

I hates Casio's move to VPAM, and still greatly prefer the pre-VPAM calcs.

Offline ECEdesign

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 01:43:30 am »
I use a TI n-spire calculator it is really nice.  It has a touchpad which is handy for graphing.  You can visually find max and min points as well as integrate by dragging between two endpoints.  The math calculation is very visual so you can make sure the calculator is calculating things how you think they are and are not lost in parenthesis.  For example fractions actually use a fraction bar so you see the numerator and denominator instead of everything on a single line.  There is also a CAS version if you're into that kind of thing.  It is a very powerful calculator but takes a little getting used to.  I wouldn't want to go back to an 83 for sure after this experience.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 01:54:52 am »
I remember drooling when I saw my first HP45 - but it was out of my reach.  I had to settle for a HP25 purely on the cost factor.  It wasn't as elegant a design as the HP45 (or the mouth-watering HP65), but it did have a programming capability.

These days, most of the time when I need calculator functions I'm sitting in front of my computer and I just fire up Excel.  It allows me to set out several values which can be easily checked and changed ... and to have a couple of variations if I want to do comparative calculations or 'what if' stuff.  It's developed into a habit - so now that's my first choice even for simple calcs.  As for a separate calculator - I just don't do enough to warrant having one on my desk, besides there's enough crap floating around as it is.

There's always the calculator on my phone (S4) - but it takes longer to get it out, unlock and fire it up than it does to get Excel going.  I will use it, though, when away from my computer.  Occasionally, I will do some basic calcs by hand and sometimes actually try doing some in my head - just to keep the brain cells from seizing up.

Also - came across one of my old slides rule the other day .... one of these:

I used to be able to pull 4 or 5 digits from the lower end of the scale on a good day....  but now the thought of using it makes me feel tired.

Funny thing - I was the first in my year at high school to get a slide rule (this looks like it:
- but I don't know where it is now.)
and worked out how to use it pretty quickly.  One day we had a maths class with a substitute teacher who found out I knew how to use one, so she sent me up to the maths staff room to collect a 4ft wooden one ... and then stand out in front of the class and teach them the basics.  I also got invited to a special meeting with a group from the teaching staff and the P&C to assess a "programmable calculator".  It was the size of two loaves of bread and programming was by punching out tabs from a card which was rather thick and stiff.  IIRC, it was interesting, but didn't offer much in the way of real value.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:56:44 am by Brumby »

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 02:06:36 am »
I'm now old - I've completely transcended calculator envy, and now just wait till the sales are on and pick up 'junkers' to leave lying around (at work, in the car, on the bedside table...)

My current favorite junker is a "H+O Casio FX clone"  http://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/product/B217529.html, which I sometimes grab for half price (about US$5)

It is quite liberating to think no more of a co-worker 'borrowing' a calculator than I would of them borrowing a pen. "Yeah - just take it... you can buy me a coffee sometime".
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 02:09:50 am »
Ti won all because of marketing.  They beat HP because they were 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost, you can buy a lot of beer with that.  They beat the rest by working with the schools and textbook publishers to get their calculators in as the examples. 
Back when HP was still Hewitt Packard they were ahead of everyone else and you paid for that.  Many other classmates told me I was dumb for wasting the $ on the more expensive HP.  But Hewitt Packard stuff was built better and could do so much more.  I remember getting compilers and could run the same code we ran in class on PC's on my HP48.  Its a shame Hewitt Packard became HP and turned into just another pc builder.  I still keep my stuff from the old Hewitt Packard days, have a 48SX, CapShare and just added a 200LX (though it has a bad screen).

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 02:09:50 am »
  8)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 02:48:39 am »
For those who can't find their slide rules:

http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/n909es/virtual-n909-es.html

or

http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/virtual-slide-rule.html

This looks a lot like my old Pickett metal rule.  I never liked it much as it never moved as smoothly as the wooden, bamboo or even plastic slide rules.   The simulation is far nicer to use than that rule ever was.  I still like my Post log-log dupli trig best.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:51:22 am by CatalinaWOW »

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 03:25:47 am »
Also - came across one of my old slides rule the other day .... one of these:

I used to be able to pull 4 or 5 digits from the lower end of the scale on a good day....  but now the thought of using it makes me feel tired.

That's a beautiful slide rule. I bought one from the factory NOS a couple years ago.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 04:01:13 am »
  8)

I am already so used to the long ass stack on the HP50G that the hp48G's stack is looking small, nevermind a two tall stack.

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 04:06:37 am »

I use a physical calculator every day. Nothing beats having something right there that you can carry with you, always works instantly, is never out of battery, never locks up, never updating some crap etc.
Computer calculator are horrible to use, and the only phone calculators that are any good are the ones that ones that emulate the look and feel on real calculator. There is a reason for that...

My point exactly. Having a nice calculator that you can use faster then anyone could using a computer and that is ready to go in a second flat (I'm looking at you HP50G with your 6 second startup time)
is awesome. I am a student and I will admit I will be using it more as a student, but plans to go into EE and Computer Science means that I might very well be using a calculator for a while more.

Also all the talk about HP calculators being more expensive WAS true, but the calculators are as much or even cheaper then Ti's (I got my hp50G brand new for 50 dollars).
Not only that you ACTUALLY get what you pay for. Instead of a 5 dollar Z80 based computer from the 1980s you get a modern ARM based (Or saturn) calculator that runs like a cheetah on crack.
The newer Ti calculators (And even the 68k ones which I would pick up just to mess about with) are fast like the HPs, but they are expensive and not used by a who lot of people.

My moral of the story is that while Ti might have made sense before, HP is made better, programmed better, and now they cost less then Ti.
We just need to all beg and hope that the HP Prime isn't the last one they make (If this has been proven, sorry I am very late to the party)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf