Author Topic: These Nichicon caps really holding up well  (Read 635 times)

Offline MathWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
These Nichicon caps really holding up well
« on: July 24, 2021, 10:54:50 am »
I've been poking at a troublesome 5 disc cd player for a months now. It's a Sony from the early 90's. And it's basically been plugged in to the wall since 1995, except for some years when it's been unplugged all winter. And the only power switch is for the 5V logic rail, the rest has been powered.

All the voltages are fine at least, but I went ahead and checked all the electro-caps, mostly nichicon, and Elna. And they are all still great compared to an average ESR chart, and they are fine for the dissipation factor in the datasheet too. I mean it's not like they're the age of Great Pyramids, but I figured they would have been a lot closer to borderline. So if I scrap this thing, there's some free caps at least.

There's lots of sub 1uF radial through-hole caps everywhere, ceramic's I guess. I hope they are holding up as well.

I've been chasing some intermittent door/sled problem, as well as jamming, or motor failing, or motor controller failing. I better pay closer attention to some of those small caps. Its not the 1 on the open/close button anyways.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 12:10:11 pm by MathWizard »

Offline wn1fju

• Frequent Contributor
Re: These Nichicon caps really holding up well
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 11:37:52 am »
Among the several hundred vintage pieces I've worked on over the years, I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen a Nichicon electrolytic fail.  Usually it is the (silver colored) Sprague capacitors that are toast.  And, of course, the no-name Chinese ones aren't much better. 

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: These Nichicon caps really holding up well
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 12:16:00 am »
Motherboards proudly proclaiming "all-Japanese capacitors" in their marketing materials are not doing that for no reason...

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf