Author Topic: Tricks of the Trade - knowledge for every day life  (Read 19729 times)

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Tricks of the Trade - knowledge for every day life
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2020, 03:35:18 pm »
You can buy expensive tools for removing circular pins from connector shells. Like this:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/insertion-extraction-tools/1811460/

Often you can use a bootlace ferrule to do the same job for free.

The following users thanked this post: Berni

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2020, 03:52:36 pm »
bicarbonate of soda/baking soda and super glue make an instant drying hole  filler

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2020, 04:35:36 pm »
bicarbonate of soda/baking soda and super glue make an instant drying hole  filler

Put the powder in the hole first, then drip superglue on, don't try and make a paste and push the paste in, it sets in seconds. Also it gets HOT!.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline KasperTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2020, 04:48:06 pm »
You can buy expensive tools for removing circular pins from connector shells. Like this:

Brings me back to the 'good old days' when I worked in avionic comms and spent a few days leaning into an ESS chamber replacing connectors.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2020, 06:14:27 pm »

Nice one.

I need to try that on molex MiniFit connectors sometime.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2020, 06:49:33 pm »

Nice one.

Something that might be worth trying for small pins are the desoldering tools sold as cheap kits in all the usual places. Basically hollow stainless steel tubes with handles.

Like these:
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2020, 09:51:24 pm »
PS: Rule No.1 of laser safety: If you can see the laser, you done f**ed up.

Rule #4: Do not look into laser with remaining eye.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Refrigerator

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2020, 10:50:03 pm »

Or for a couple bucks get a kit like this. Super handy.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/18x-CAR-Terminal-Removal-Tool-Kit-Wiring-connector-Pin-Release-Extractor-Puller/254255930284?hash=item3b32d59bac:g:7W4AAOSwxeVc-LGL

The following users thanked this post: Berni, duckduck

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2020, 12:20:57 am »

Nice one.

won't work, you need two thin narrow blades. I've bend and ground a piece of stainless TIG wire in pinch, but afair the real thing isn't that expensive but it is a bit fragile

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2020, 01:49:23 am »
Where did you get those facts? Do you mean that it is eye safe because the output is less than 5 mW when it reaches the eye? that number is only valid for IR filtered 532nm green lasers, a 5 mW 405 is a class 3 laser... You can't just assume that just because the output is lower than x mW it has to be safe... The rating heavily depends on the wavelength:

It depends on what you call "eye safe."  If you aim a sketchy Chinese laser pointer directly into your unprotected eye, you're probably signing up for the white-cane brigade.  I don't know anyone who would do that on purpose.  So don't look directly into a 405-nm laser pointer, whether from China or otherwise.  Based on actual measurements, I consider sunglasses to be adequate protection for short-term indirect viewing at 405 nm. 

How do you know that?

There are millions of laser pointers out there, many of them with completely-bogus specifications.  If indirect exposure were a widespread problem, we'd know by now.

I know a couple of guys with permanent eye damage from a laser, the damage also depends on the wavelength... It can either fry your lens or retina, the guys i know screwed around with 500 mW lasers and got a couple of dark spots in their vision. You only notice that sort of thing when you are staring at a white paper.

With a 405-nm pointer, the main hazard is not to the retina unless you look directly into the laser aperture, which we've already agreed to refrain from doing.  The human eye doesn't focus well at that wavelength, and the lens is going to absorb a lot of the energy.  As a result, longer-term exposure can be expected to cause cataracts.  So don't do that, either.  Dry your glue and move on.

And what IR line (your post has no pics)? A 405 nm diode laser shouldn't have a 808 nm line, those kind of diodes are only used in green laser pointers to excite the NdYAG crystal that emit at 1064.

There are thumbnails in my earlier post from yesterday showing the spectra of both the LED that comes with the adhesive kit and the laser.  Are they not showing up?

I didn't know the IR line was there myself until your post prompted me to measure it, so thanks for that. :)  I was ass-u-ming that the pointers used fundamental-mode diodes made with GaN or some other wide-bandgap material.  Wikipedia says that they can be built with GaAs IR diodes at 808 nm that are frequency-doubled to 404 nm, and that indeed appears to be how these pointers work. 

Unfiltered 532-nm pointers are considered especially hazardous because of their invisible IR emission.  At 532 nm the beam is easy to see and avoid, but at 405 nm the apparent brightness is way down, making IR exposure more likely.  It's a valid concern, given the combination of out-of-spec power output and inadequate or nonexistent IR filtering, and one I wasn't aware of.

Anyway, Cerberus is right, this is both off-topic for the thread and interesting enough for its own thread.  I won't post any further to this one, but if it's possible for a mod to move the messages to their own thread, that would be great.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2020, 05:35:47 am »
When dismantling a small gadget with possibly springy things inside, like spring, small screws or nuts that may jump/shoot across the room and probably gone forever.  :'(

I used a medium sized clear transparent plastic bag, cut two holes that big enough but not too loose for my two hands to slip in quite snugly, and enough space for some small hand tools inside the plastic to do the tear down work.

That container will catch all tiny parts inside, rather than cursing and crawling on the floor hunting down for the tiny parts, really hate that.  >:(

The following users thanked this post: DenzilPenberthy, duckduck

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2020, 06:06:09 am »
To clean up silicone matting or objects? (Those things can collect dust and grot!)

Use hand sanitiser - the alcoholic type - rub it all over the surface and rinse off in water.
It works really well on some silicone workbench mats I have here.

A good COVID19 'by-process'. :-)
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2020, 06:13:15 am »
When dismantling a small gadget with possibly springy things inside, like spring, small screws or nuts that may jump/shoot across the room and probably gone forever.  :'(

I used a medium sized clear transparent plastic bag, cut two holes that big enough but not too loose for my two hands to slip in quite snugly, and enough space for some small hand tools inside the plastic to do the tear down work.

That container will catch all tiny parts inside, rather than cursing and crawling on the floor hunting down for the tiny parts, really hate that.  >:(

Nice trick

Tho its more of a problem that i don't know when to use it. Often i have no idea what is inside whatever i am taking apart, so the moment when something goes sproiiiing and flies off god knows where is a surprise moment, only then realizing i should have been a lot more careful with how i take it apart. I just try to clean up the workbench area a bit before taking apart more delicate things to avoid tiny parts getting lost in the other crap.

Related to taking stuff apart, my tip is to keep screws and parts in sorting boxes like these:

When taking the thing apart i put screws into compartments in the left to right order. That way when i am putting it back together i start taking screws from boxes in reverse order, making it easier to keep track of what screw goes where, avoid digging trough screws to find the same ones and makes more easily to see if i missed a screw.
It also helps keep the screws from getting lost on longer term repairs where a piece of test gear might sit on the bench in parts while i wait for some replacement part to arrive or is waiting for my patience to recharge in order put in more futile hours of banging my head while trying to get the damn thing working.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:14:55 am by Berni »

The following users thanked this post: Vovk_Z

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2020, 06:45:17 am »

Bottles, for lubricant.

As SWMBO sometimes does dying her hair  ::) , the hair dye bottle is actually really soft, squishy and presumably "chemically inert", at least for synthetic oil that I use.

The one in photo probably more than a decade old and doesn't show any deformation or affected chemically.  :-+

As it has cap (red one in picture), that is really handy in stopping the "oil from crawling out" (google for it) that prevents the bottle outer surface becomes oily and slippery, that will tainted the finger/hand that was holding it.

Also small solder flux dispenser bottle as it has tiny metal tip, really handy for precision lubrication, as we can pin point accurately and lubricate at the tiny area, like at the tip of small nut or tiny hinge and etc.

As the bigger one will definitely spill the lubricant all over the place as its harder to control the flow, even as slow as tiny sipping action, as sometimes, even a single drop is too much.  :scared:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:52:30 am by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2021, 07:56:44 pm »
Had a chance to test this one the other day.

Broke a knob off of a keyboard leg (broken on the left, the good one in the center, and a binder clip on the right).

Removed the two 'arms' of a binder clip - they easily come out. Replaced each keyboard leg with the binder clip arms.

So far, this works really well!
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, tooki, Exosia

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2021, 04:33:06 am »
Our mini computer lab had a cluster of older model terminals (screen and keyboard with discrete local processor). With arrival, of an in-house SERVICE ENGINEER, the software person watched:
  The service guy proceeded, soberly, to CLOBBER THE HELL out of the terminal side sheet metal. Man those 1972 vintage units used, like 1 cm thick steel, so the SERVICE PRO guy had to really wallop a couple smacks.
   As expected, I watched in amusement as the watching PROGRAMMER started to 'titter', then a full on belly-laugh.
   Felt kinda like watching a RODEO cow wrangler.

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2021, 06:13:11 am »
Hi Everyone, thought it'd be fun to share some tricks of the trade.  What random things have you learned about electronics that help in every day life?

Found something recently.

While removing some old thermal paste from a graphics card, the Arctic Clean (1 & 2) I was using also removed some permanent marker (Sharpie) lines. These were lines I'd drawn on a heat sink as an alignment aid.

Next time I need to remove "permanent" marker from metalwork, I'll try the Arctic Clean again.

Offline Melt-O-Tronic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Brilliant with a slaughtering iron in my hand!
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2021, 03:33:00 pm »
The carrier solvent in most permanent marker inks is acetone.  Therefore, an acetone rub is usually the most effective means of removing these marks.  Just consider the base material that you're cleaning when choosing.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2021, 03:54:25 am »
The carrier solvent in most permanent marker inks is acetone.  Therefore, an acetone rub is usually the most effective means of removing these marks.  Just consider the base material that you're cleaning when choosing.

Yep, I used to use ferric chloride to etch the date back on a certain type of US 5C. The dates were at a high point for wear and "dateless" nickels of this type were common. You could, however, etch the date using ferric chloride. To keep the ferric chloride right around the date area, I would use a permanent marker to make a border. After the date was revealed, acetone would remove the marker.

Now, an etched date was certainly detectable and not as valuable as one that had the normal visible date, but they were still collectible.

Not sure this counts as "tools of the trade" though :)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 04:46:42 pm by DrG »

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2021, 04:35:31 pm »
[... avoid charging cold batteries...]  Especially applies to battery packs with a permanent low capacity lockout - like Makita ones, where if the battery fails to accept 'sufficient' charge three times the battery management chip permanently marks the battery 'bad' and disables it.

That kind of technology is evil...   I prefer to be the judge of when the battery is no longer "good enough", not some dumb chip...

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2021, 04:38:45 pm »
Hi Everyone, thought it'd be fun to share some tricks of the trade.  What random things have you learned about electronics that help in every day life?

Found something recently.

While removing some old thermal paste from a graphics card, the Arctic Clean (1 & 2) I was using also removed some permanent marker (Sharpie) lines. These were lines I'd drawn on a heat sink as an alignment aid.

Next time I need to remove "permanent" marker from metalwork, I'll try the Arctic Clean again.

A product called "Goof Off" is pretty good for this - it is formulated pretty cleverly, strong enough to dissolve stuff, but mild enough to not be too destructive.  I reach for it when IPA is just not working...

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2021, 11:00:37 pm »
I was thinking about heat shrink tubing today....here are two ways I use it without a heat gun.

1. Ever reach into the drawer (or manicure bag) and stab yourself with surgical scissors? I little bit of heat shrink tubing keeps the scissors safely closed until you want to open them.

2. I have a couple of those third hand thingies. On one, the alligator clip ends close very tightly...more than they need to when I am holding a piece of wire with softer insulation, for example. Sliding a couple of pieces of shrink tubing over the ends fixes this nicely. Still grips well, but not with the sharp points. I cut the tubing longer than needed so that they have handles for easy removal.

No need to mess with electrical tape.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:03:32 pm by DrG »

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2021, 12:18:58 am »
1.) When you drop a small component on the floor, use a flashlight to find said part by lying the flashlight/torch so that the beam is horizontal to the floor. if you place the flashlight directly on the floor in this manner, it causes large shadows that will allow easier spotting of any irregularities on the floor.

This method, of course only works with smooth floors, and not for carpeted floors.

2.) This may be elementary to most experienced solderers, but always add a blob of fresh clean solder to your tip when done soldering. this keeps the tip from tarnishing and leaves a nice tinned coating to protect the tip.
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: Exosia, Vovk_Z

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2021, 12:28:04 am »
1.) When you drop a small component on the floor, use a flashlight to find said part by lying the flashlight/torch so that the beam is horizontal to the floor. if you place the flashlight directly on the floor in this manner, it causes large shadows that will allow easier spotting of any irregularities on the floor.

This method, of course only works with smooth floors, and not for carpeted floors.

I am reasonably certain that the carpet around my work area has a number of micro worm holes with an affinity to any smt components in the area. The vacuum cleaner, on the other hand, has the astounding capability to reverse the micro black holes, retrieve the part, only to have it disappear once again into a dust dimension. I believe that further investigation is warranted.

The following users thanked this post: Sredni

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2021, 12:37:27 am »

I am reasonably certain that the carpet around my work area has a number of micro worm holes with an affinity to any smt components in the area. The vacuum cleaner, on the other hand, has the astounding capability to reverse the micro black holes, retrieve the part, only to have it disappear once again into a dust dimension. I believe that further investigation is warranted.

I also had my workbench in a carpeted bedroom and can attest to this observation to be true, however, not to be thwarted, I found a thick vinyl mat and placed my work area and bench on said mat. However, the impact of said small components with the mat would also send the parts into a blackhole, never to be seen again...
PEACE===>T

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf