Author Topic: Unusual design of a free-flow hydropower station  (Read 18087 times)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Re: Unusual design of a free-flow hydropower station
« Reply #200 on: February 05, 2024, 07:34:25 pm »
Yes, I don't understand what exactly is so bad about having lighting, refrigeration, computers and a few other things running 24/7 for free :-//

It's irrelevant, because you are not going to get any of that from whatever nonsense is being presented in this thread  :-//

No, but if we wanted to start a circus we now know where to find a clown  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2024, 07:50:41 pm »
Yes, I don't understand what exactly is so bad about having lighting, refrigeration, computers and a few other things running 24/7 for free :-//

And how is it for free if you have to, at first buy the contraption and then replace the blades every so often, and what other maintenance is needed. Nothing is for free these days.

Just as the lures for switching over to for instance a heat pump. It pays it self back in so many years they state. No it does not. After so many years you most likely have spent just as much money as you would have when you kept running your gas system. And after that so called payback period the system might need replacement because it wore out.

As it happens we are looking into another solution for heating our house, because the hassle with fire wood is becoming to much for me. For the wife it is also a bother and she finds the smell very irritating, so a solution with fuel oil or pellets is not an option. Fuel oil is also phased out, but both would be cheaper to install. Running cost would be on par with the fire wood we use now or in case of the pellets somewhat higher.

An air to water heat pomp is very uneconomical in this region due to the fact that it needs resistive heating to cope with low outside temperatures. Geo thermal is much better in performance but costs an arm and a leg to install.

We are waiting for the quotations from some companies to see the differences. We did get some insight in running cost for both types. Air to water would cost us about 2200 euro per year in electricity were as ground to water would do 970 euro per year.

Any way you turn it the comfort is going to cost us.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2024, 07:57:26 pm »
I'm not insisting that anything presented in this thread is practical ;) but I objected to the notion that continuous 3kW isn't worth bothering with. Yes, it won't power peak loads and you will need other sources or very restrictive scheduling, but I wouldn't be surprised if actually most consumption at most households is by loads of less than 3kW over long time.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 08:01:28 pm by magic »

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: February 05, 2024, 08:00:47 pm »
   Not to rain on your picnic, there,....but;
   I'm wondering about regulatory stuff, boring and often unfair or unclear rules and all.

Going into middle of stream might cause stresses on animal life nearby, like perhaps river otters, that sort of thing (that people often express that they care about.)
Pesky questions like this often get waved off.  But you could at least state that there aren't any regulatory concerns, for river beds and immediate surrounding property (even private lands).
   So, what is the waterway 'build-out' option, maybe for private lands and creeks ?   What about roads and ramps, or other access
points ?  I mean, is it simply "that's private land...don't worry." ?
   Oh yeah, (now that I got started), what about any occupational safety requirements ?  Any folks to be hired, to maintain the plant ?
Even drowning risks are taken into account when employees have to go wading, in a dynamic and possibly changing setting (seasonal rain overflows).

I don't think a rational business and insurance person would feel 'safe and cozy' (with that 'energy' plant), without some defensive approach.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #204 on: February 05, 2024, 08:16:14 pm »
Yes, very good points.

And what about if a tree branch gets into the water and blocks the device. By by power.

Or like the, by RJSV mentioned, seasonal effect of a sudden rain flood taking your "power plant" away because the shoring's were not good enough.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: February 05, 2024, 08:46:05 pm »
A couple of non-technical facts. Follow the money...
  • Otherwise, ERGroup does not have a lot to show for a company that has been in business for so long. But they will make it big "real soon now"TM, with an innovative energy technology to be launched later this year: https://www.ergroup.asia/
  • We still don't know who that mysterious "professor from Michigan" is, whose analysis Hydro has shared three times (and who just happens to publish in Serbian according to Hydro, so we only get censored English excerpts from his work).
And we still don't know how "Hydro" is related to this merry bunch, and what his interests are in all of this. Honi soit qui mal y pense...

The following users thanked this post: Someone, PlainName

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #206 on: February 05, 2024, 09:54:06 pm »
And we still don't know how "Hydro" is related to this merry bunch, and what his interests are in all of this. Honi soit qui mal y pense...
One thing that should be evident, Mr. Hydro lacks a certain amount of basic math, engineering, and science background.  I'm estimating Grade 10 level math & science.

The following users thanked this post: RJSV

Offline HydroTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #207 on: February 06, 2024, 05:19:20 am »
One thing that should be evident, Mr. Hydro lacks a certain amount of basic math, engineering, and science background.  I'm estimating Grade 10 level math & science.

Relax, guy !

I'm a businessman. I have no academic background. Only technical courses.
When I need it, I hire academics, engineers, programmers.

But it seems that you all don’t even have a technical education, so I definitely won’t hire you.

First does not understand that in order to stop a pulley by hand, you need to know not only the torque, but also the diameter of the pulley.

Another one managed to multiply 3 kW per millisecond and is proud of it.
Hey dude ! Try multiplying it by a nanosecond! You will get 0.000..... 0000952778KWh.
Your wife will be proud of you!

The third already from the first page of the topic threatens to find errors in the formulas.
It would seem that if you see them there, show them to everyone and prove to everyone that this is all bullshit.
But he doesn't do it!
Because there are no errors and therefore he cannot find them!

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2024, 05:34:30 am »

Absolutely right!
These technologies are not intended so much for Europeans, Canadians or Australians (although for them too).
But to a large extent for farmers in Pakistan, India, China, Africa, and South America.

As we say:
ਚੰਗੇ ਇਰਾਦੇ ਅੱਧੀ ਲੜਾਈ ਹਨ

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2024, 07:12:39 am »
@Hydro, do you even understand how much energy is 1J/s which is 1W?

According to the table you posted, such a hydropower station of 1m depth produces 3430 Joule per second. This is 3430W and boils down to 0,000952778KWh. Good luck in powering your house with it.

:-DD :-DD   |O

Another factor.
3 kW at with a depth of 1 m (turbine height) is being actively discussed and no longer seems to raise doubts.

A conventional free-flow turbine (Darier turbine or Savonius rotor) under such conditions according to the Betz limit can theoretically produce only 0.5 kW * 0.59 = 0.295 kW

However, as can be seen from the table, increasing the vertical size of the turbine (depth) increases the turbine power in a cubic dependence.

Thus, by increasing the vertical size to 1.5 m, we will increase the turbine power by 1.5^3 = 3.375
That is, up to 11 kW
And daily energy production is 275 kWh!

Is this not enough for anyone else’s home?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2024, 07:14:55 am »
Another factor.
3 kW at with a depth of 1 m (turbine height) is being actively discussed and no longer seems to raise doubts.

A conventional free-flow turbine (Darier turbine or Savonius rotor) under such conditions according to the Betz limit can theoretically produce only 0.5 kW * 0.59 = 0.295 kW

However, as can be seen from the table, increasing the vertical size of the turbine (depth) increases the turbine power in a cubic dependence.

Thus, by increasing the vertical size to 1.5 m, we will increase the turbine power by 1.5^3 = 3.375
That is, up to 11 kW
And daily energy production is 275 kWh!

Is this not enough for anyone else’s home?

There is no such power because all the numbers quoted are fiction and no such device can operate in the manner described.

• Regular Contributor
  • !

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2024, 08:00:09 am »
Another one managed to multiply 3 kW per millisecond and is proud of it.
Hey dude ! Try multiplying it by a nanosecond! You will get 0.000..... 0000952778KWh.
Your wife will be proud of you!

Get your own facts straight. The number I stated is per second. Multiply it by 3600 and you get the alleged 3.4KWh. There is nothing wrong with the math I used there. Converting energy expressed in Joules to KWh means simply divide by 3600000. Look it up on the internet.

And I owned up to the fact that I overlooked the continuous nature of the alleged 3430J/s.

I say alleged because what is on paper is yet to be proven to be correct in real live, and the first video does not show it, no matter the size of that pulley.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2024, 09:29:03 am »
  • We still don't know who that mysterious "professor from Michigan" is, whose analysis Hydro has shared three times (and who just happens to publish in Serbian according to Hydro, so we only get censored English excerpts from his work).

Shared even three times ??  ;D
Did you count?
Commendable!

What attention the topic has attracted!
And you say it's not interesting...  ;D

For me it is defined as Serbian.
And you ?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: February 06, 2024, 10:12:28 am »
I get it that you have no scientific background, man. But could you please learn to adhere to just the minimum of a proper scientific discourse, by disclosing your full sources? No screenshots of partial documents, no blanked-out names, but actual links to the source? It is not difficult.

On a more general note, I don't get your approach to this thread. You seem to look for validation of the technology. (In an electronics forum, which is not the best place to start with, by the way.) But if technical validation is what you want -- why don't you give us the full information? And why do you push back so heavily if someone criticizes the technology? Isn't criticism exactly what you came for?

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: February 06, 2024, 10:26:23 am »
You seem to look for validation.
Isn't criticism exactly what you came for?
Another clown :D

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #216 on: February 06, 2024, 11:20:38 am »
You seem to look for validation.
Isn't criticism exactly what you came for?
Criticize.
You have everything for this.

You had 9 pages of discussion for this.

And if you want to criticize the authors.
Write to the authors or to the journal.
All the details are there.

Go ahead !

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #217 on: February 06, 2024, 11:21:13 am »
I get it that you have no scientific background, man. But could you please learn to adhere to just the minimum of a proper scientific discourse, by disclosing your full sources? No screenshots of partial documents, no blanked-out names, but actual links to the source? It is not difficult.

So what about that Serbian paper from Michigan? Source?

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #218 on: February 06, 2024, 11:27:00 am »
I gave the sources.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/unusual-design-of-a-free-flow-hydropower-station/msg5317741/#msg5317741

Are you blind?
Get over it for now.
When you do, I'll give you more.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2024, 11:42:02 am »
I gave the sources.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/unusual-design-of-a-free-flow-hydropower-station/msg5317741/#msg5317741

Are you blind?
Get over it for now.
When you do, I'll give you more.

Those links are obviously not the sources for the scan you showed here and multiple times as a Google translation. The one from the "professor from Michigan", you know?

I was beginning to consider that your interest might be sincere, but you have conviced my otherwise again. You are either trying to troll us or to con someone.

Let's get back to chocolate chip cookies, that was by far the most rewarding discussion in this thread yet.

Offline eutectique

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #220 on: February 06, 2024, 12:22:31 pm »

Shouting expletives in a crowded place with pants down would attract the same sort of attention and would be equally embarrassing.

For me it is defined as Serbian.

:palm: Yet another fail. This is Russian.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: February 06, 2024, 04:55:30 pm »
Let's get back to chocolate chip cookies

Gets my vote  :-+

As it happens, I am expecting to receive a batch of the previously posted recipe in the next day or two.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #222 on: February 07, 2024, 09:21:15 am »

Shouting expletives in a crowded place with pants down would attract the same sort of attention and would be equally embarrassing.

This is clearly not our case.
For example, when I see something like this, I just avoid it. And if it’s shown on TV, then I switch the program.
All intelligent and smart people do this.

I'm sure everyone here is like that.
Or not ?

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #223 on: February 07, 2024, 09:22:13 am »
I'm sorry.
Urgent business matters have arisen. I'm very busy right now.

I found out everything I wanted in this topic.

You can close it or you can continue to discuss anything here.
At least cookies.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #224 on: February 07, 2024, 09:44:55 am »
I'm sorry.
Urgent business matters have arisen. I'm very busy right now.

I found out everything I wanted in this topic.

You can close it or you can continue to discuss anything here.
At least cookies.

Yeah. Right.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf