Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2793227 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8700 on: August 22, 2019, 08:10:10 pm »
I know... it's no fun like the good old days with ear-grinding scratchies & sparks & burning speaker paper... the damned protection circuitry just goes into shutdown the millisecond it detects a shorted coil , and you're done.  >:(  If you're lucky, you hear a little *~POP!!!~* before it does.  ::)

Worse yet, nowadays they can detect the sudden increase in reactance from a speaker bottoming out... so you don't even get THAT.  :(

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:14:20 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8701 on: August 22, 2019, 08:55:28 pm »
Speaker protection has come a long way.  In the early days when all we had was overvoltage/current detection (which would shut the amp down but not handle the kickback from the speaker), it was scary noises and/or possible destruction every time something misbehaved.  Then people started being smarter about the protection circuitry, to the point that other than deliberately driving the speaker beyond its ratings it's now hard to fry something.  Allegedly, the Crowns will take inductive current spikes from the speaker and "recycle" them without tripping the protection.  And their peak limiters don't seem to affect the sound in any way at reasonable levels - though I don't deliberately try to push the amps. 

I did take my 500W 4Ω load and verify that the amp meets its power spec across the audio band - briefly.   8)  I've become quite fond of the new Crown amps - 3 year full warranty (transferable), and still designed here in Indiana.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8702 on: August 23, 2019, 01:19:17 am »
I'll stick with my prehistoric Peavy PV500. It's loud enough to make my teeth ache, and I haven't been able to kill it yet.  :-DD

mnem
*conservatively rated*
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 04:03:48 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8703 on: August 23, 2019, 07:53:30 am »
Just got Version 9 that just came out!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8704 on: August 23, 2019, 04:00:14 pm »
I sure hope they've spent some time on their physics engines since 7. Their small FBL helis & acro quads were totes out to lunch; even the big ones felt like flying a brick.  :palm:

And still no wireless dongle, for the price they charge...? SERIOUSLY?!?  :wtf:

mnem
*flip!*
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 04:01:58 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8705 on: August 24, 2019, 08:11:26 pm »
818991-0    Ordered the 18th.     818985-1   Arrived today.

Sold as "New Other", appear to be "lightly used" & repaired; found a scarred screw like somebody replaced an earpiece. 100% functional!  :-+

First impressions: SDE MUCH improved over DK2 & Rift CE. Barely noticeable, & rotated 45° like the CE, but higher res and better contrast greatly reduce perceived fuzziness compared to the CE. I am actually typing this while viewing my browser through the WMR home portal, something I could NEVER stand to do with either of my previous HMDs. Same wearability complaints as other users; lenses too close, need extra-thick forehead pad to get focal distance right & overhead strap to eliminate excess nose pressure. Still better than most FPV goggles.  :-+

I almost bought a few months ago when the full kit was reduced to $299, but I was just overextended due to recent Ryzen 3700X build. ~$150 is, I feel, a reasonable price for "lightly used" headset only, especially considering I really want to do the Valve Knuckles controllers anyways.

mnem
*Virtual-ily*
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:25:58 pm by mnementh »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8706 on: August 24, 2019, 08:21:48 pm »
Just got Version 9 that just came out!

I'm still using RF4.5 - living in the past!
It is really only for additional helicopter practice in the winter though. With the nice weather I try to get in 20-60 minutes of real flying per day with my micro heli fleet.
VE7FM

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8707 on: August 24, 2019, 08:26:47 pm »
  ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

4.5...?!? You fly micros and practice on 4.5? How can you STAND IT? The physics on RF6-7 are simply ATROCIOUS; nothing at all like a real FBL micro. Pretty sure 4.5 has to be worse yet.  :palm: That shit will teach you to fly WRONG man.

mnem
Spew and a half...!!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:30:59 pm by mnementh »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8708 on: August 24, 2019, 08:46:38 pm »
Hah, I don't fly any of the micro stuff on 4.5. I often fly a 90 sized heli inside a building. It has quite a realistic feel to it and the walls come up pretty quick. I can already fly around my yard no problem with the real helicopters. The sim is more for inverted practice and some basic stunts etc.

edit - started years ago with a Blade CP, had a trex 450 and trex 600 but didn't fly them much. Then went to micro's with the Walkera 4#3 and was a part of the brushless conversion rage(was very active on rcgroups.com). Then got out of heli's for a few years, but recently got back in with a Nano S2, Blade 130S and a Fusion 180. It helps I now have a backyard that is big enough I can fly at home.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:52:16 pm by TheSteve »
VE7FM

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8709 on: August 24, 2019, 09:01:58 pm »
Same here. Mostly Genius CP, Mini CP, Axe100 (9 Eagles rebrand) and 450-500 size CCPM/FBL. Even their 500 size feel like they're mired in molasses to me; trying to do funnels and tick-tocks in RF 6-6.5 nearly broke my brain.  :palm:

EDIT: Too bad you're all the way over by Vancouver... I'm moving to Toronto in a few weeks, and I have a couple Fusuno FUC-1071 (For Fusion 50) canopies left over from modding my 500 that need a new home. They're not worth the cost of postage, tho...

mnem

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 09:08:50 pm by mnementh »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8710 on: August 25, 2019, 08:47:42 am »
Bought a DLP printer to make these:

VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Nominal Animal

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8711 on: August 25, 2019, 10:17:08 am »

What are those?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8712 on: August 25, 2019, 12:16:45 pm »
They look suspiciously like wave guides.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #8713 on: August 26, 2019, 01:22:25 am »

Nice. Anything special about the resin for those?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8714 on: August 26, 2019, 02:05:22 am »
They are RF horns(antennas), lowest freq(biggest horn) is for 18-26.5 GHz. The smallest ones are 110 GHz. They are of course just for show at the moment until they have some metal plating on the inside.
It is standard Elegoo resin.
VE7FM

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8715 on: August 26, 2019, 02:14:07 am »
Tempted to pull the trigger on a DLP but as the usage would be sporadic pouring and storing open and used containers of resins keeps stopping me before you get to the messy cleanup and post curing. Shame the results are just so good  :palm:

I have been playing with epoxy and poly resins for 30+ years btw so it's not a lack of knowledge just an understanding of some of the downsides of the technology.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8716 on: August 26, 2019, 02:41:26 am »
Printed a little something for my wife as well.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8717 on: August 26, 2019, 03:10:04 am »
Watching a random eevblog2 video today on modding a commercial smoke extractor while unpacking some carbon impregnated filter material for another job. eBay auction: #143251038585 Quick rummage into the fan collection and out with the shears.

Works a treat even without a shroud, 12V 120mm fan running 7-8V  @ .2A  (for less noise and it works well enough) I have only been using a little fan on an arm over soldering jobs in the past but maybe a DIY enclosure and extractor project coming up. Laser cut ply/acrylic or 3DP for the body is the question :-//

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 04:23:37 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8718 on: August 26, 2019, 03:27:19 am »
They are RF horns(antennas), lowest freq(biggest horn) is for 18-26.5 GHz. The smallest ones are 110 GHz. They are of course just for show at the moment until they have some metal plating on the inside.
Which printer did you buy? Is it the Elegoo Mars?

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8719 on: August 26, 2019, 04:05:59 am »
Which printer did you buy? Is it the Elegoo Mars?

It is the original Anycubic Photon - the cheapest of the cheap, but it is impressing me constantly.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8720 on: August 26, 2019, 04:15:14 am »
Yeah, I've seen them as cheap as $199 a few months ago. I almost pulled the trigger, but was overextended already. Wouldn't have bought the Odyssey+ but for the price just being too good.

@bean - Nice knock-together. I used plastic pop fasteners to hold the filter in place on mine.  :-+ If you're going to make a frame, you should 3DP it with hinge flanges like a GoPro mount so you can attach it easily to an articulating arm. One of those things that's been on my DSIGD list for like a year...  :-DD

mnem
 :o
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 04:17:03 am by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8721 on: August 26, 2019, 12:56:18 pm »
Yeah, I've seen them as cheap as $199 a few months ago. I almost pulled the trigger, but was overextended already. Wouldn't have bought the Odyssey+ but for the price just being too good.

@bean - Nice knock-together. I used plastic pop fasteners to hold the filter in place on mine.  :-+ If you're going to make a frame, you should 3DP it with hinge flanges like a GoPro mount so you can attach it easily to an articulating arm. One of those things that's been on my DSIGD list for like a year...  :-DD

mnem
 :o

Decided on 12V flop it on the bench option. Laser cut ply or acrylic with three frames, two at the front to sandwich the filter (fairly stiff) between them. Offset from the fan a little so all of the surface will pull air and not be hindered by the motor as much. 150mm on the base front to back for a little more stability. Simple PWM ESC and a jack mounted back there too.

Gave me an excuse to model a rough 120mm Fan to add to the collection too.

Still a WIP  ;)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8722 on: August 26, 2019, 12:59:26 pm »
Bean, Defpom printed one:
https://youtu.be/z1r5QduH_Qg
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8723 on: August 26, 2019, 01:16:33 pm »
Bean, Defpom printed one:
https://youtu.be/z1r5QduH_Qg

I hadn't seen that one. Ian Johnson did a tube mod for the Hakko here I had seen https://youtu.be/25oSsyMBpj0

None of them appeal to me as I deal with ducting on Coffee Roasters and would rather not for flexabilty on the bench.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8724 on: August 26, 2019, 04:14:10 pm »
It is the original Anycubic Photon - the cheapest of the cheap, but it is impressing me constantly.
I've been looking at these printers but the small build volume has been putting me off.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf