Author Topic: What is it with this Rossmann guy? (also, YouTube)  (Read 25035 times)

Offline Fire Doger

• Regular Contributor
  • Stefanos
Re: What is it with this Rossmann guy? (also, YouTube)
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2017, 12:20:34 pm »
I watched his hot air stations teardown and was amazed of how clean was the chat. I remember early lives with a ton of spamming and his words "the cancer on chat", whatever he does it works.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 01:00:28 pm »

[crickets]
I guess Sprok has left the building. :(
Well, maybe not. I've seen a new thread appear on the General Chat section asking "how do I delete my account?"  :-DD

Odd. I don't see that thread. Maybe it was deleted.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2017, 01:26:10 pm »
I understand that principle - and I have tried to explain it to a few people in situations I have encountered ... but I have to ask you this:

What is better for your restaurant: Having a drunk whinge and whine, annoying others trying to enjoy their meal or kicking him out so everyone else can eat in peace?

Even worse, get tossed out of restaurant "A" (Louis R's) for being drunk and obnoxious, then go down the street enters restaurant "B" (EEVBlog) and then whines about being tossed out of "A". Then can't understand why nobody takes his side. Clueless.
Retired - Formerly: Navy ET, University of Buffalo Electronic Tech, Field Engineer and former laptop repair business owner

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2017, 01:37:43 pm »
I understand that principle - and I have tried to explain it to a few people in situations I have encountered ... but I have to ask you this:

What is better for your restaurant: Having a drunk whinge and whine, annoying others trying to enjoy their meal or kicking him out so everyone else can eat in peace?
Who says anything about whinge and whine? It just seems people keep their objections to themselves often, leading to no net improvement at all. If you tell people about the problem you're having, they may very well rectify it. If you just keep it to yourself, there is no chance of improvement. It doesn't help future guests either.

I've seen it often enough. You go out to correct or improve on something and then people suddenly comment they've had that problem for months or even years. If they would have come to me right away, it probably would have been fixed rather quickly. Somehow it seems to surprise people I'm not omnipotent.

As I said ... "I understand that principle" - and that is certainly valid in many situations.

However, I do not believe it is appropriate in this case.  The OP has given no details about what he said, let alone provide any compelling case to back it up.  He has admitted to doing something when drunk - and the specific lack of detail indicates to me that he didn't think it had much, if any, merit.  Either that, or he was so out of it, he could not remember.  Either way, it does not shape up as something worth listening to.

More particularly, the restaurant analogy is not appropriate, since the feedback issue you refer to is directly related to the purpose of the restaurant - to serve customers and make a profit.  Louis Rossmann makes his money by repairing hardware and only produces Youtube content as a sideline.  If Louis has any feedback he needs to pay heed to, it will be from a customer on the other side of his counter.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2017, 01:39:53 pm »

Even worse, get tossed out of restaurant "A" (Louis R's) for being drunk and obnoxious, then go down the street enters restaurant "B" (EEVBlog) and then whines about being tossed out of "A". Then can't understand why nobody takes his side. Clueless.

When you put it that way.....

;D

So ... should we take some feedback on board....?

I don't think so.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2017, 05:33:03 pm »

[crickets]
I guess Sprok has left the building. :(
Well, maybe not. I've seen a new thread appear on the General Chat section asking "how do I delete my account?"  :-DD
Odd. I don't see that thread. Maybe it was deleted.
Odd, I could almost swear I typed something else but perhaps my mind is playing Jedi tricks on myself. I really meant to say jokingly "Well, maybe not. I expect to see a new thread appear... "
Sorry.
(edit) and I wasn't drunk! :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:06:26 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 05:58:34 pm »
He bans people left and right. So much so that his channel has taken a serious hit.

No, it hasn't, he's doing great:
https://socialblade.com/youtube/user/rossmanngroup/monthly
Not a single day with negative subscribers, and views have been consistent for more than a year.

You are totally missing perspective here.

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2017, 10:41:52 pm »
He bans people left and right. So much so that his channel has taken a serious hit.

Not a single day with negative subscribers, and views have been consistent for more than a year.

Interesting how total subscribers gained spiked dramatically on 5/28/17.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2017, 11:18:16 pm »

Interesting how total subscribers gained spiked dramatically on 5/28/17.
"Don't blow a load on your MacBook".
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 01:18:34 am »
It's the whole thing of being a fan and supporter then they step on your face for no reason

There will be a reason.  The fact that you don't know what that was, is something you will have to live with.  Not being able to recall exactly what you said and the context in which it was said just adds to the mystery.  It does not add any validity to your complaint.

By seeing you return to this thread with a more considered approach, I would like to think better of you - but, unfortunately, I have seen enough in my time to be, at best, sceptical.  The truth is, I have seen nothing that would make me contemplate recanting a single word from my post #39.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2017, 01:40:31 am »

And what perspective would that be?

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2017, 01:48:42 am »
Yeah, this happened like 6 months to a year ago.

That is somewhat of an admission at this point of the discussion.  Omitting that from the original story is hardly a trivial oversight.  It's the sort of thing I would expect from a troll.

And as far as "pushing buttons" is concerned - that is your interpretation, not my intent.  Deride me if you must, but I have seen enough to not be swayed by such emotional claims.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2017, 02:48:04 am »
There is nothing you or I need to "hash out" about Louis Rossmann.  In fact, you could remove him from this thread and what I posted still stands.

You have your opinion.  I have mine - and at this point in time, I have no interest in revisiting that.  I certainly am not interested in you wanting to "turn me around" - and I have an overwhelming feeling that I could not influence you ... even if I was inclined to try (which I'm not).

Further, if I take your reference to "a pint" in its typical usage, it is clear you have not really read what I have posted.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2017, 02:49:12 am »
It's mentally unhealthy to bear a grudge for something so trivial so long ago.

It's not nice to use an electronics forum to attack someone about behavior that has absolutely nothing to do with electronics.

Those are a couple of my strong opinions.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2017, 02:52:13 am »
I won't recant anything I've stated because it's all true and I will say flat out that Rossmann is an unintelligent ass with a trigger-happy ban finger.

If there is one thing he's not, it's unintelligent. Look up the meaning of the word intelligence and you'll find he's a textbook example of the definition.

The following users thanked this post: Psi, sprok, Jono427

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 03:21:05 am »
He is mighty happy with that ban button though.
It's the whole thing of being a fan and supporter then they step on your face for no reason, that kind of pisses you off.

I can't speak on behalf of Louis, but I can certainly speak as a content producer with a large audience.
You were not banned for "no reason" and surely you must know that (and IIRC you've admitted you know that).
When you get literally thousands of people per day commenting about your every word, or often things you didn't say or didn't imply, much of it constructive feedback, but because it's Youtube, much of it just flat out abuse and trolling and what-not, it is almost impossible not the start banning people who ruin your daily experience.
It takes a very special and rare content prouder to be able to mentally survive the relentless onslaught of comments without having to resort to banning.
Now you can argue over the "trigger level" for banning all you want, but to do so is a mistake and failing to understand the position content producers are in every day they chose to read the comments and interact with their audience.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2017, 03:44:58 am »
OK this is where I'm delving in to dangerous territory because I'm a dumbass here as well. Come on, he doesn't even know how the most basic circuits function and can barely use an oscilloscope.

:palm:

It seems I'm going to have to explain the definition of the word intelligence to you.
1) The ability to comprehend; to understand and profit from experience.
2) The ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.
3) Capacity for understanding; aptitude in grasping thruths, facts, meaning.

In case you haven't noticed, one of the primary reason for the popularity of his channel is because espouses the virtues of and explains how do these things and demonstrates these things with his own business success.
You are simply demonstrably wrong that's he's in any way unintelligent.

The following users thanked this post: zzattack, Mickster, Cubdriver

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2017, 03:46:59 am »
Yeah, when I make a comment about "Louis for President" and get banned, then I consider that "no reason" and trust me he has banned people for far less. I've watched it happen in the live feed.

So you've gone from saying you don't remember what you said because you were drunk, to now having full memory of the incident and exactly what you said that got you banned?
Sorry, not buying it.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2017, 04:06:21 am »
God, how did I get here.

You already told us, but I fear you will never understand yourself.

As far as Admin is concerned - that is not an attack.  It is clarification of understanding and pointing out inconsistencies.  However, since you came here looking for sympathy, rather than objective discussion, I can see how that would be construed as an "attack" from your perspective.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2017, 04:19:06 am »
As I said, it was a long time ago. I made some cryptic notes about the incident but that's it. I never said anything about not remembering what I said.

Yes you did, in your first post:
I'm banned as well. I'm not sure why, probably some asinine comment I posted while drunk, as practically everyone does on a bad day.

NOW this is starting to seem like a personal attack.

It's not. When you post contradictory things on a forum then you can expect to get called out on that.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2017, 04:28:01 am »
I am surprised that this pointless drivel has been allowed to continue.

Dave, this is not like you IMHO. This thread should have been closed almost at the start.

The following users thanked this post: sprok

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2017, 04:48:50 am »
There is nothing in this thread that is reason enough for deletion - other than your own embarrassment for expecting people to fall in behind you.  I would like to think you may have begun to understand just how much of yourself you have revealed by the content and presentation - but I doubt it.

I can see you are unhappy about where this thread has gone.  You have tried to engender support - and failed.  You have tried to save face - and failed, so all that is left is to claim Admin abuse and make an indignant departure.  So be it.

The unfortunate thing is that I have little doubt you will continue in the same direction as you have in the past.  The only hope I can hold is that the next time you travel down this path - you share your thoughts somewhere else.

Dave ... locking this thread is not a bad idea.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2017, 09:06:19 am »
As I said, when admins start attacking, for any reason whatsoever. That is definitely the the end.

Calling you out on factual errors in your statement is not a personal attack.
You don't have to agree with that and you are welcome to leave at any time.
And this is a not a off-topic thread, it's on an on-topic discussion of a fellow electronic video blogger and youtube and content creators in general.

Offline Old Don

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2017, 11:03:24 am »
Classic example of  --->>      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Snowflake
Retired - Formerly: Navy ET, University of Buffalo Electronic Tech, Field Engineer and former laptop repair business owner

The following users thanked this post: JoeO, Richard Crowley, medical-nerd, Rbastler, Mickster

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2017, 11:16:10 am »

And what perspective would that be?

Cuz, you know, Elvis has left the building...  :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf