General > General Technical Chat

What's this please? (Component Advice)

<< < (340/376) > >>

jogri:

--- Quote from: tsmith35 on October 24, 2021, 07:47:05 pm ---Does the meter carry any identifying information such as part number, model number, date, address or similar? Would it be possible to put a ruler in the photo to help determine size?

--- End quote ---

Sure, it's a Ferisol RM 210. There's not much documentation available (and i don't speak french), i only know that it's decent-ish (+/- 3%) and it's definitely a no-expense-spared instrument. The plug has an outside diameter of 16 mm (12 mm inside) and it's marked "DOS". Haven't looked for time stamps, but i'd say it's from the late 60s or 70s.

Nusa:
Ah, the larger picture answers my concern about input voltage, at least! Selectable. Which also suggests 60's.

vk6zgo:

--- Quote from: jogri on October 24, 2021, 08:25:18 pm ---
--- Quote from: tsmith35 on October 24, 2021, 07:47:05 pm ---Does the meter carry any identifying information such as part number, model number, date, address or similar? Would it be possible to put a ruler in the photo to help determine size?

--- End quote ---

Sure, it's a Ferisol RM 210. There's not much documentation available (and i don't speak french), i only know that it's decent-ish (+/- 3%) and it's definitely a no-expense-spared instrument. The plug has an outside diameter of 16 mm (12 mm inside) and it's marked "DOS". Haven't looked for time stamps, but i'd say it's from the late 60s or 70s.

--- End quote ---

Looking at these pix, that connector is definitely the one LGT used back in the late 1960s/early '70s.
It must have been a mainstream connector back then, most probably a French one.

I wonder if there are any trade magazines from that period on the Internet?

SeanB:

--- Quote from: booka on August 08, 2021, 07:18:23 pm ---Hi All, any idea on this one, it comes from a HAM radio operators collection, so guess would be a high voltage capacitor. Measurements done (in both directions) confirm this, 6.5pF, Infinity Ohms (no diode drop). The electrodes might be aluminum just based on visual impression, so the square plate connecting the electrodes might be a dialectric. Never seen such a constuction so I would be happy about more info.

Update: Might rather be some over voltage protection / spark gap...

--- End quote ---

Yes, spark gap for a balanced feedline, generally used to prevent large voltage differentials on the feedline. Normally placed with another 2 to the grounding bar, so that close by lightning strikes do not induce too high a voltage in the antenna wiring. Clip in, because it will fail for a large close strike, and short out, so easy to replace, though for large close strikes all you are likely to be left with is the end caps, the glass being blown apart by the plasma as the electrodes arc.

Not much use on modern equipment, as the input stages will not survive the let through voltage, and will blow up, but old hollow state front ends survive this without problem.

BMK:
Strange 0.25" faston connector, from an ancient John-Deere dashboard.

This gets mounted through hole on a single sided PCB,  with the faston tab poking out on the non-copper side to accept a .25" faston female crimp. On the copper side, the 2 little wings are soldered to the PCB. The 2 loops form a receptacle for a double sided PCB edge connector.

Im hoping this is a commodity part and still made by someone, somewhere...
Any help appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version