Author Topic: What's this please? (Component Advice)  (Read 1217269 times)

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What's this please? (Component Advice)
« Reply #350 on: August 23, 2013, 12:52:37 am »
I found this component on power supply board of some sort. Have no idea what it can be - large flat, yellow square with few markings on it.

Online oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
« Reply #351 on: August 23, 2013, 01:00:38 am »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #352 on: August 24, 2013, 02:19:17 pm »
2400mA one if I remember correctly the ratings table. Will not trip at that current until it is at 100C, and then will have to have to cool. Max ratings typically are 30V for breaking. They will not trip if the current is under 2x the rated, and if the voltage is under 5V then they are not likely to trip at all unless there is a dead short.

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #353 on: August 24, 2013, 07:11:56 pm »
2400mA one if I remember correctly the ratings table. Will not trip at that current until it is at 100C, and then will have to have to cool. Max ratings typically are 30V for breaking. They will not trip if the current is under 2x the rated, and if the voltage is under 5V then they are not likely to trip at all unless there is a dead short.
Thanks, it make sense. I tried to connect it in series with 8 ohm power resistor and then applied 30V - nothing happened, resistor got very hot and that is it. I don't think I have power supply that can trip it . I touched it with the tip of soldering iron and I think it worked as expected.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #354 on: August 24, 2013, 08:36:51 pm »
Often the rating used is more a requirement of the on resistance of the device than the circuit current. the internal resistance can vary with temperature below trip, and can get quite high even at current below trip. As well they have a limited number of trip cycles before they fail, either by cracking and going open or worse by quietly going short circuit.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #355 on: August 26, 2013, 01:23:21 pm »
These are telephone line transient suppressors, formed (I think) by a short spark gap sealed inside.
But I can't find the manufacturer or the data for them.

I have a box full of them, and want to use some on cables connecting two buildings together. But it would be nice to know the breakdown voltage. The only HV power supply I have handy only goes to 350V, and these don't breakdown at that.

Can anyone point me to a data sheet for these?

The numbers are "35087" and "10A"
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #356 on: August 26, 2013, 07:39:39 pm »
Those are gas discharge tubes, generally Siemens and littlefuse made those for phone systems.

http://www.littelfuse.com/products/gas-discharge-tubes.aspx

Offline TriNitroTolueen

« Reply #357 on: September 03, 2013, 02:14:55 pm »
Hi guys,

My computers' power supply released some of his magic blue smoke today. I found the blown component but I can't read the part number because a piece of it is missing. It was mounted to a huge heat sink so it might be some kind of voltage regulator...

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #358 on: September 03, 2013, 02:27:22 pm »
My computers' power supply released some of his magic blue smoke today. I found the blown component but I can't read the part number because a piece of it is missing. It was mounted to a huge heat sink so it might be some kind of voltage regulator...

I'd guess it's some transistor 2SCxx27 (TO126 package, 1A perhaps).

Offline TriNitroTolueen

« Reply #359 on: September 03, 2013, 03:13:28 pm »

I'd guess it's some transistor 2SCxx27 (TO126 package, 1A perhaps).

Yeah that could be possible, its a switching power supply and this component is pretty close to the mains rectifier diodes.

Thanks!

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #360 on: September 04, 2013, 12:25:34 pm »
help ident this strange chip I found some where no clue where anymore.

Offline orbiterTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • -0 Resistance is Futile
« Reply #361 on: September 04, 2013, 12:38:18 pm »
Looks like an optocoupler

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline firehopper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #363 on: September 04, 2013, 12:57:18 pm »
if it is its only 1/2 of one, those are 4 photo sensors of sometype.. output .5 volt each in direct sunlight. and theres 4 sensors..
its some sort of sensor device. but not a optocoupler.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #365 on: September 04, 2013, 06:19:57 pm »
Linear optosensor. Used to either detect position of a light source or of a flag to make a very precise switch. A large version of the line scanner used in a multifunction machine, digital copier or fax machine.

Offline Alexei.Polkhanov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #366 on: September 04, 2013, 09:34:44 pm »
if it is its only 1/2 of one, those are 4 photo sensors of sometype.. output .5 volt each in direct sunlight. and theres 4 sensors..
its some sort of sensor device. but not a optocoupler.
Haha, yes very funny Ebay listing - "Opto" - opto-what? sensor? Isolator?  Looks to me like some sort of sensor hence the transparent body. Yes it could be some sort of linear opto-sensor but with only 4 segments ... hmmmm strange.

Color sensor?

Offline MatCat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #367 on: September 05, 2013, 05:23:30 am »
I am thinking it's a regulator, part that says GGRTW which I can't find on google.

Offline adnewhouse

• Contributor
« Reply #368 on: September 06, 2013, 02:41:58 am »
Anyone know what this is? I took a picture of the die because it had a window. The only markings were "c51a". My guess is a laser somthing.

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #369 on: September 14, 2013, 12:32:41 pm »
Does anybody have a datasheet - or know an equivalent - for an Intersil ITS80008, please?

It is a DIP40 and almost certainly some form of digital volt/multimeter, complete with 4x 7 segment LED drivers. I have come across one in a nice, little panel meter from the late seventies, and wouldn't mind knowing how not to blow out the inputs. The meter is (probably) a type 713 from IMC, Tucson, AZ, US of A.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #370 on: September 14, 2013, 01:54:48 pm »
Quote from: adnewhouse
Anyone know what this is? I took a picture of the die because it had a window. The only markings were "c51a". My guess is a laser somthing.
Where did it come out of?

Does anybody have a datasheet - or know an equivalent - for an Intersil ITS80008, please?

It is a DIP40 and almost certainly some form of digital volt/multimeter, complete with 4x 7 segment LED drivers. I have come across one in a nice, little panel meter from the late seventies, and wouldn't mind knowing how not to blow out the inputs. The meter is (probably) a type 713 from IMC, Tucson, AZ, US of A.
RE the schematic and see, does it look anything like the ICL7106? http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/documents/fn30/fn3082.jpg

Offline ElectroIrradiator

• Frequent Contributor
  • More analog than digital.
« Reply #371 on: September 14, 2013, 02:22:01 pm »
RE the schematic and see, does it look anything like the ICL7106? http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/documents/fn30/fn3082.jpg
Unfortunately the chip doesn't appear to be an exact equivalent of the ICL7106. First, the pinout of the ITS80008 is nearly - yet not quite - a mirror reverse(!) of the ICL7106. Yet there are maddening differences, like the '08 taking +5V power on pin 40, and ground on pin 20, while the '7106 runs on +9V between pin 1 and 26.

The ICL7106 may be a good starting point for a full RE though. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

The meter is an IMC type 513A, by the way. Previous number provided is not correct.

Edit: The chip may be an ICL7107R, which is the LED driver equivalent of the '06 (intended for driving LCDs). They have different pinouts, and the '07R runs on +5V on the pins mentioned. :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:25:58 pm by ElectroIrradiator »

Offline JeanF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #372 on: September 15, 2013, 10:32:33 am »
Hello there,

Does anyone know what sort of pressure sensor this is ? It comes from a digital barometer sold for sailing. The instrument itself is sold at a high price but the construction quality is incredibly poor : not waterproof, paper pcb, single sided board, loose wires, a single miniature incandescent bulb for lcd backlight...

On the board there was only a single, custom barometer chip which is of no interest, and this. I guess this must be the pressure sensor. There is a hole in the PCB just underneath, as you can see from the back.

The manufacturer/seller of the instrument ("Vion") did not even develop the product, as we can see the PCB is labeled "alpes deis" which seems to be a very small French electronics development company. I won't even try to contact them, they won't answer at all since they know I represent zero profit for them  ^-^

thanks !  8)

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:15:58 am by fluxcapacitor »

Offline JeanF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #374 on: September 16, 2013, 08:04:34 am »
Awesome ! Thank you very much !  :-+ :-+

It looks like an interesting device, with some nice features, at first glance  ^-^

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf