Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2300379 times)

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1075 on: March 19, 2015, 12:10:08 pm »
I'm still getting my feet with in electronics though so not yet sure how far I'll go as far I'll get into it.  Already invested in a scope so at this point may as well go all the way.
It seems you've officially become an electronics addict like the rest of us.  :palm:

And do be careful with the bolded part of your last statement. Not only does it have the ability to piss off SWMBO, it's rather expensive as well (more specialized gear, more parts, .... more, more, more). So you might want to rethink going down every possible tunnel in the rabbit hole.  ;)  :-DD

Best solution however, is to simply turn back now if at all possible!    :o  ;D

It might be too late, I already have a Hakko soldering station on the way.     I needed a new tip for my Radio Shack fire stick but could not find any.  End up buying a whole new temperature controlled soldering station instead.   :-DD 

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #1076 on: March 19, 2015, 04:41:36 pm »
Just follow the basic rule. Ask your partner/mother/best friend if you really need it. You will end up buying it anyways but the guilt and nagging will make you think twice next time.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1077 on: March 19, 2015, 05:00:48 pm »
I'm single, that's even more dangerous because I have nobody to tell me no.   >:D

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1078 on: March 19, 2015, 05:06:01 pm »
Just follow the basic rule. Ask your partner/mother/best friend if you really need it. You will end up buying it anyways but the guilt and nagging will make you think twice next time.

That only works if you've the right (or maybe wrong) type of partner/mother/best friend. My partner is much, much better off than me so trying to get her not to put her hand in her pocket for my toys/tools is hard work, my best mate is a (rather good) mechanic so doesn't see a problem with spending money on tools, and my mother is of the view that if it makes me happy f*%k worrying and buy it.

I'm single, that's even more dangerous because I have nobody to tell me no.   >:D

I'd say the best bet would be to check your current account balance. If you have to cut back on anything else for the month or have to go into your "rainy day" savings you can't afford it so don't get it...

...this month...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:08:45 pm by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline George_Race

• Regular Contributor
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #1079 on: March 19, 2015, 08:14:15 pm »
It's always fun to share pictures of a test bench.  I call mine simple & functional.  I work on a lot of different equipment ranging in frequency from DC to 1 GHz plus.  Attached are a couple of pictures of the test bench.

Here is the list of all the equipment, that  I think is necessary to troubleshoot and repair just about anything!

Left side of bench, first picture.
HP-8568A Spectrum Analyzer, on top is an HP-8447D Amplifier and along side of that an HP-355D 120 DB Attenuator.
Next are two Tektronix Scopes.  On top TEK-2445B Analog, bottom TEK-2440 Digital
Next to them  is my Primary Frequency Standard, a Trimble 10MHz feeding a 6 output Video Amp for distribution of the 10 MHz signals to equipment.  On the very top is a laptop running Lady Heather to display the functions of the Trimble.  On the right side you can see there are 8 satellites locked in unison.

On the right side of the bench, 2nd picture, first is an HP-6227B Dual Power Supply.
Next to that on top is an HP-3406A RF wide band voltmeter.  Under that is an HP-3314A Function Generator.
Next on top of the pile is an HP-3466A Multimeter.  Under that is an HP-5335A Frequency Counter - 1300MHz
On the bottom is an HP-8567A Signal Generator - 1040MHz

All of the equipment is calibrated to factory standards.  The Spectrum Analyzer, Frequency Counter, and Signal Generator are all being driven by my 10MHz Trimble Satellite Primary Standard.

I have a wide selection of outdoor tower mounted antennas and long wires that I feed into the Spectrum analyzer for off air frequency measurements.  It also has a nice wide band audio amplifier, setting on top in the back, that allows me to listen to any frequency and any type of modulation.  And when you punch in the center frequency like on 15MHz WWV you are able to measure it to +- 1 Hz accuracy.  It is really neat to put the signal generator carrier on 15MHz and have it zero beat for hours, without any change.

I can feed audio from the Spectrum Analyzer to a computer running Spectrum Laboratory.  Makes a very nice off the air way to measure frequencies extremely close.

There you have my modest test equipment setup, that will do just about anything that I want to do.  Happy to answer any questions you may have about any of the equipment.  Almost all of it was purchased on eBay, repaired,re-calibrated and put into service on my test bench.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:20:00 pm by George_Race »

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1080 on: March 19, 2015, 08:26:09 pm »
That is rather orderly. The one thing I wish I could find is the plastic window for the led display. Mine does not exist.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline economist

• Contributor
« Reply #1081 on: March 28, 2015, 07:39:19 pm »
Cleaned up the bench today and decided to take a pic. It's always evolving.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #1082 on: March 28, 2015, 07:52:17 pm »

Awesome test gear!

I just snapped an actual working photo of my bench. Hand assembling a new PCB design. it has about 200 components with about 60 unique part numbers. It is very hard to keep everything organized.

On top of the bench, I keep the soldering base station, hot air system, pneumatic paste dispenser, chemicals, probes, etc. The monitors keep references up and visible while I am using the microscope.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1083 on: March 28, 2015, 10:21:06 pm »
Now posting this in the right area ...

Mine's changed since I last posted pics. Got a few DMMs off Ebay you can see on the second shelf. The workbench is something they sell from Harbor Freight. It's pretty nice and a pretty good deal

On the first shelf presently fixing a GW Instek GFG-8216A. Was listed as "for parts or not working. The frequency pot had been knocked hard by something and was cracked. Got the part on order now. It's mainly good as new and working OK.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1084 on: March 29, 2015, 09:16:45 am »

Small work area - but nice clean set up.  I like! 

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #1085 on: April 06, 2015, 06:18:19 pm »

Small work area - but nice clean set up.  I like!

Woah. Those Keithleys alone are worth more than the entire rest of my setup! and I have a pretty big well equipped bench. Also those Agilents look good too.  :clap:
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline LektroiD

• Frequent Contributor
  • If it didn't explode, I'm happy.
    • Music here
Analogue clearout time...
« Reply #1086 on: April 09, 2015, 11:15:52 pm »
The tiny workspace I have was getting really messy fast and often, so I cleared a few analogue pieces I wasn't really using. To be honest, I don't think it's made all that much difference...

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
Re: Analogue clearout time...
« Reply #1087 on: April 09, 2015, 11:26:52 pm »
The tiny workspace I have was getting really messy fast and often, so I cleared a few analogue pieces I wasn't really using. To be honest, I don't think it's made all that much difference...

You could benefit from a cheap shelf/riser. 3 pieces of wood is all it takes.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline LektroiD

• Frequent Contributor
  • If it didn't explode, I'm happy.
    • Music here
Re: Analogue clearout time...
« Reply #1088 on: April 09, 2015, 11:35:44 pm »

You could benefit from a cheap shelf/riser. 3 pieces of wood is all it takes.  :)

I have thought about this, but behind the closed curtains on the windowsill are a load of regularly used tools, which a riser would block acces to...

The rest of the room is filled with component cabinets, there's literally no space anywhere... I need Dave's lab!

I've had another reshuffle; better, but still not brilliant...

Offline WattsUp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1089 on: April 10, 2015, 01:08:55 am »
Is there any way for you to move the storage containers off the bench (if they are there permanently), I found moving my parts storage off my tiny 120x50cm bench/school desk/bedside table very helpful, allowing me space for an analogue scope, laptop, small PSU, multimeter and laptop, with some space for working. Also, I would recommend moving the big (deep) PSU to the end, where it is less intrusive to your work area. These are just ideas, and I suggest constantly changing the setup for the task at hand, as it takes five minutes, but improves productivity tenfold. Just a thought.

EDIT: sorry, didn't see the posts after your OP, maybe try moving the small test gear (multimeters etc) to the side so you have a central workspace? Anyway, don't sweat it, your working space is 5 times more than mine! I'm curious, what do you (and others) do about test, USB leads and cables?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:13:27 am by WattsUp »
I'm trying out something new. Perspective Reviews. Comments and suggestions are appreciated over PM.

Offline batboard

« Reply #1090 on: April 10, 2015, 08:21:21 am »
Just starting out, built a little desk(already needs to be bigger)for a couple bucks, 2x4 and plywood. The iron was given too me, as was the computer. I was going to recap a PC that had bad caps, but after replacement still didn't work so I throw the HDD in the other PC, sweet, the guy was trying to get me to take a lot of stuff, i guess its cheaper for people to take it than it is to haul it off to the dump. Still use my RS learning lab for breadboarding, until I can get a good PS.....Am about to add (order) the DS1052E to the desk. I screwed in a eye hook on the side to hang the mouse and keyboard so it won't take up space, and just set it on top when I need it. Have my color organ set up for a little light show while music plays, and yes, Thats the extech 330.....I buy what dave recommends....Im thinking of making a backing for it, 2x4 going up the back side and across the top to hang a over head light and some hooks to hang stuff on....eh, but I don't think its too bad for about 220$ all in all.

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1091 on: April 10, 2015, 08:25:23 am »
I'd post mine but it looks like Jim Williams' and the camera is under all the crap :)

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #1092 on: April 10, 2015, 12:27:57 pm »
Just post it! Much more interesting to see habits and tools than an empty ikea shelf :o.

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1093 on: April 10, 2015, 12:46:33 pm »
Just post it! Much more interesting to see habits and tools than an empty ikea shelf :o.

Will do tomorrow - stuck at in-laws today. At least I've got the laptop and LTSpice to keep me amused :)

Offline nixfu

• Supporter
« Reply #1094 on: April 10, 2015, 01:26:34 pm »
I love this thread. 

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #1095 on: April 11, 2015, 09:23:12 am »
Another day, another Keithley 2001 under repair...

YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1096 on: April 11, 2015, 09:45:13 am »
The workbench is something they sell from Harbor Freight. It's pretty nice and a pretty good deal

That shelf under the desk would block your legs. It looks like the worst ergonomics ever. I would do my back in reaching.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1097 on: April 11, 2015, 10:21:46 am »
@TiN, I like that desk! You still have some room to expand up! :-+
I have also used those grabbers (like the ones from logic kits) for 'investigation' , I like the fact they hang on like crazy and are small enough to catch onto fine pitch IC legs. 8)
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1098 on: April 11, 2015, 10:23:30 am »
That shelf under the desk would block your legs.

Uh, no, it doesn't block my legs.

It looks like the worst ergonomics ever. I would do my back in reaching.

Well looks can be deceiving can't they?

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #1099 on: April 11, 2015, 10:28:08 am »
It's all messed up and jammed. Will build proper system table somewhen next months.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf