Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2300004 times)

jord4231 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline frpeebles

Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2012, 08:31:37 pm »
From no lab at all to this mess in just a month.

Offline terabyte

• Contributor
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2012, 01:10:58 am »
ok i just got the study done a couple of weeks ago.  I temporarily set my bench top on two saw horses whilst i built this;

and well tonight i slid it all over ;D ;D ;D

Offline carloscuev

• Regular Contributor
    • Spanish Freescale Developers Forum
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2012, 08:23:28 pm »
Hell, here's my humble setting :) works nicely for me ! I think I'll always want more and more equipment !
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:25:40 pm by carloscuev »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2012, 09:59:34 pm »
ok i just got the study done a couple of weeks ago.  I temporarily set my bench top on two saw horses whilst i built this;
omg. it's a realy ikea jerker in the corner ! I wish they would make those again ! i have two of them they are so comfortable. you can assmeble them with the work surface at the height you awnt , top instrument shelves ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Kibi

• Supporter
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2012, 10:42:41 pm »
omg. it's a realy ikea jerker in the corner ! I wish they would make those again ! i have two of them they are so comfortable. you can assmeble them with the work surface at the height you awnt , top instrument shelves ...

I noticed that you had two. I also have two, they are fantastic. I check ebay every once in a while to see if any are up for sale in my area just so that I can have another one.
The beauty of them is even if you don't have the space at any point in time, it takes up no space at all once dismantled.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2012, 10:57:06 pm »
they fly by on craigslist once in a while too...
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline terabyte

• Contributor
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2012, 11:23:28 pm »
good catch guys.  yea I love that desk.  I'm not sure why they discontinued it. I ran to Criagslist to get one after I saw this picture;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aud1073ch/2263840941/#sizes/l/in/faves-thespeedphreak/

I thought about getting another 1 or 2 for my bench but I wanted something big and this was cheaper. I built my bench to be the same height as my Jerker station :)

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #157 on: May 11, 2012, 02:22:52 pm »
Since this is bumped up again and I am almost done with my bench after two months I think it is time to post here.
Still need to put some electric tools there and need to find a place for the wire reels I got, but other than that it is done.

Al my stuff was in a closet and I realized I got too much to put on the bench, on the photo you see 4 drawers under the bench, that was my bench with 4 closets under, it was pretty small and not workable, I am using that as storage now for things like sprays and chemical stuff.

I got green light from my wife to use more space in the room. New bench is 95cm high, 85cm deep and 185cm wide, the shelves are 50cm deep. Bench is made from an old closet made out HDF, the door is my work space and the side plates are the shelves, the white back plate where the shelves are on is the back of the closet.
All my hand tools like cutters but also mechanical tools are in my Gedore Adjudant tool trolley, it is fully loaded.

The bench is not big and I don’t have much equipment but it is more than enough for me.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #158 on: May 11, 2012, 02:26:44 pm »
Very nice! 

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #159 on: May 11, 2012, 03:05:41 pm »
Since this is bumped up again and I am almost done with my bench after two months I think it is time to post here.
Still need to put some electric tools there and need to find a place for the wire reels I got, but other than that it is done.
Man, i have always loved the look of your lab along with that many power supplies  8)

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #160 on: May 11, 2012, 10:29:20 pm »
Thanks guys :)

Unfortunately I don’t have new equipment like DSO or newer model function generator, but it is still good enough for me, I paused for very long time and that’s why  my equipment got stuck on 90’s early 00’s

Offline terabyte

• Contributor
« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2012, 05:31:01 pm »
Spawn that is BEAUTIFUL!

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2012, 05:59:24 pm »
i like the big fire extuinguisher on the top shelf :)

Offline Tube_Dude

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2012, 07:59:15 pm »
i like the big fire extuinguisher on the top shelf :)

He is a wise man...  8)
Jorge

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2012, 03:14:02 am »
Thanks again guys :)

free_electron, it is a 3 liter extinguisher but enough for a small room like this :)
Got a 2 liter version in my Grand Voyager, people underestimate how fast one liter extinguisher goes empty.

Tube_Dude, I would be even wiser man if I didn’t use a water and foam fire extinguisher on a electronics bench, but I don’t like the idea having a powder extinguisher blown on my equipment because the corrosion it makes after a while, with this water and foam I can cut the electricity then extinguish the fire and dry up the mess.
Let’s hope I never use it :D

Offline nick.sek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2012, 04:22:35 am »

here is my lab

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2012, 05:35:09 am »
But CO2 is better than dry powder, less mess to clean up in small accidents. Best is Halon, but that is no longer made.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2012, 06:12:40 am »
Real hobby labs have one of thos big red 'mushroom' pushbutton ona bog yellow box mounted on the wall. If you hit that the lights turn off , red spinning lights switch on ( those old rotating warning lights , not a simple flasher ) and bathe the room in an atmosphere of danger. Meanwhile a booming voice transmitted from a speaker proclaims "Warning : Halon Release imminent. Evacuate the room immediately" and then counts down 5 4 3 2 1 and then the blast doors fall out of the ceiling and then halon is released from the ceiling floodgates.

at least that's how i always imagine it when i set something on fire... typically my spraybottle of wate rto wet the soldering iron sponge does fine ....

if i ever get my hollowed-out-volcano lab i'll definatley need to get me one of those...

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2012, 06:13:34 am »
But CO2 is better than dry powder, less mess to clean up in small accidents. Best is Halon, but that is no longer made.

Yeah... Halon's not something you want to use on your hands ::)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #169 on: May 13, 2012, 06:18:40 am »
Halon is no worse than R22 or R134A, and at least will stay as liquid when neat room temperature. I still have a few halons that I can no longer get serviced, so they are in storage as there is no way to dispose of them other than releasing to atmosphere, and I would rather use them on a fire instead. No halon bank near me to take them ( and pay for the gas of course).

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2012, 06:22:06 am »
?!? halon is gas ... no need to worry to get it on your hands.. you need to worry not the breathe it .. it will kill you , and very quickly

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2012, 07:14:14 am »
Real hobby labs have one of thos big red 'mushroom' pushbutton ona bog yellow box mounted on the wall. If you hit that the lights turn off , red spinning lights switch on ( those old rotating warning lights , not a simple flasher ) and bathe the room in an atmosphere of danger.

This is to make it harder for our hero to find the exit.

and then the blast doors fall out of the ceiling and then halon is released from the ceiling floodgates.
At work we now have mostly Inergen systems. One is supposed to have a higher chance of surviving if one happens to end up at the wrong side of the pressure-tight doors when it is released. Still not something I intend to try any day.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2012, 07:30:57 am »
?!? halon is gas ... no need to worry to get it on your hands.. you need to worry not the breathe it .. it will kill you , and very quickly

That's a myth. Halon itself is fairly harmless (1301, 1211 is slightly toxic but is nearly never used in flood systems).

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2012, 11:19:00 am »

That's a myth. Halon itself is fairly harmless (1301, 1211 is slightly toxic but is nearly never used in flood systems).

I do not know, but i have been taught that Halon is harmless... sure i know now.
Certainly all train stations in my country use halon as an extinguisher ...

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2012, 11:26:24 am »

I do not know, but i have been taught that Halon is harmless... sure i know now.
Certainly all train stations in my country use halon as an extinguisher ...

1211 is apparently slightly toxic, 1301 has no permanent or damaging effects. It does, however, impair you somewhat. The danger comes from high temperature fires. Halon 1301 + high temperatures produces hydrogen fluoride and hydrogen bromide. Mixed with water (see: eyes, respitory tract) they become hydroflouric acid and hydrobromic acid. Continued exposure to that in the air in sufficient quantity will quickly become dangerous. Not, however, as quickly as a 60% CO2 flood system will kill you (about 30 seconds.).

Halon is much safer and more effective than CO2 in most situations. It's also, however, a CFC, and even at a low mix ratio (5-10% vs up to around 75% for CO2) that's a lot of gas. Hence the green nuts decided we should instead use CO2, which is fatal if you get stuck in the room with it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf