Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2300688 times)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #3050 on: December 02, 2017, 01:34:40 pm »
If going for wheels, and if you value the floor use nylon wheels, or polyurethane though these do degrade with time. Then use some levelling feet to take the load off the wheels in use, so the wheels do not get flat spots.  In not using levelling feet use locking wheels on at least the front, so it does not wander around if you knock it, or if the floor is not perfectly level. the wheels and levelling feet are cheap enough, and if using the levelling feet you can undersize the wheels as they will have less of a loading in static use.

You make a good point.  i should have mentioned that my office floor is unfinished concrete.  I am not worried about what the metal wheels will do to the floor.  I also chose the metal to avoid the flat spotting because that really is a pain in the ass.  I didn't bother using locking wheels.  This bench is heavy and doesn't move unless I put an effort into moving it.  The floor does have a slight slant because the room was a patio that the previous owners fully enclosed.  Thankfully it isn't enough to make the bench move or round parts rolling off the bench top.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3051 on: December 02, 2017, 02:12:29 pm »
You make a good point.  i should have mentioned that my office floor is unfinished concrete.  I am not worried about what the metal wheels will do to the floor.  I also chose the metal to avoid the flat spotting because that really is a pain in the ass.  I didn't bother using locking wheels.  This bench is heavy and doesn't move unless I put an effort into moving it.  The floor does have a slight slant because the room was a patio that the previous owners fully enclosed.  Thankfully it isn't enough to make the bench move or round parts rolling off the bench top.
Worst case, a couple of rubber door stops or similar as wheel chocks would be helpful if it did want to roll by gravity alone.

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3052 on: December 02, 2017, 02:41:14 pm »
You can always throw a beefy hand/spring clamp on 2 wheels

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3053 on: December 02, 2017, 06:15:44 pm »
Both good ideas, tablatronix and nanofrog.  The bench is heavy enough that even when I want it to move, I have to work at moving it.  It's not going anywhere, that's for sure. :phew:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3054 on: December 05, 2017, 04:06:13 pm »
ferdieCX, that kind of bench is very useful. your bench looks nice. Neat and compact.

Are you working on a home made integrated audio preamp/power amp there?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3055 on: December 05, 2017, 04:09:50 pm »
If you lived somewhere earthquakes were common, wheels could be problematic in one if there was a lot of ground motion. I've been through two big earthquakes. It's quite the experience.

(One of them was at night and there were bizarre green flashes of light in the sky).

Both good ideas, tablatronix and nanofrog.  The bench is heavy enough that even when I want it to move, I have to work at moving it.  It's not going anywhere, that's for sure. :phew:

Offline ferdieCX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3056 on: December 05, 2017, 05:08:59 pm »
ferdieCX, that kind of bench is very useful. your bench looks nice. Neat and compact.

Are you working on a home made integrated audio preamp/power amp there?
Yes. I was tired of having problems with the switches of an amplifier from a well known brand. >:(
So, I rescued from the storage the stereo amplifier that I built in 1974 when I was 16, and it worked perfectly except for some hum. ;D
I have dismantled and rebuilt it, replacing the PCBs, resistors and capacitors.
It is the quasy-complementary design from RCA, the preamps are Philips with BJTs.

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #3057 on: December 05, 2017, 05:33:31 pm »
Picked up a DMM7510, its nearly 17" long, the equipment rack is only 14" deep.  So picked up a small utility cabinet to set next to my workbench for it.  Not entirely happy with this arrangement yet.  Id prefer to have the 7510 closer to the DUT for shorter leads and less noise. 

It kind or works, its out of the way and the viewing angle is good.  Only other thing I can think of is to move the filtered power distribution block and to make some shelf under the parts bin but above the earth bar and build it where the meter would still be angled slightly.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 05:50:40 pm by kj7e »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3058 on: December 05, 2017, 05:48:28 pm »
If you lived somewhere earthquakes were common, wheels could be problematic in one if there was a lot of ground motion. I've been through two big earthquakes. It's quite the experience.

(One of them was at night and there were bizarre green flashes of light in the sky).

That is something I don't want to ever experience.  My wife lived in the SF bay area during the 1989 earthquake.  She said it was one of the scariest things she has ever been through, along with being chased by a tornado in Texas years ago and being at a convenience store 15 minutes before another tornado took it down to the concrete pad, also in Texas.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3059 on: December 05, 2017, 05:53:01 pm »
Glad I live in the UK. Nothing interesting like that happens here. The noisiest thing was a plane crashing half a mile away from my house in 1999 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Cargo_Flight_8509 ) and I didn't even notice that because I had some headphones on.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3060 on: December 05, 2017, 05:56:14 pm »
Picked up a DMM7510, its nearly 17" long, the equipment rack is only 14" deep. 

Congratulations!
Time to build deeper shelfs.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Online HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3061 on: December 05, 2017, 06:54:44 pm »
My main test station and workspace:

I do also have a scope, it is a pico scope and do not take any space.
This selection of equipment is based on what I use at this workspace.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3062 on: December 05, 2017, 07:52:18 pm »
"overload!"   :phew:

I do also have a scope, it is a pico scope and do not take any space.
This selection of equipment is based on what I use at this workspace.

Online HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3063 on: December 05, 2017, 08:01:02 pm »
"overload!"   :phew:

What you cannot see is that everything is connected to the computer and I control and log data from the computer with scripts. Most scripts use more than one piece of equipment, it is easy to use a power analyzer (or AC supply), a load or more and a few DMM's for a test.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3064 on: December 05, 2017, 08:09:44 pm »
I was in a cafe for that one, luckily it had very heavy tables in booths and as soon as I felt that unmistakable feeling I immediately got underneath mine where I sat watching the cakes and pastries one by one fall off he shelves onto the floor. The sign that all the specials, etc, was written on was attached by two huge hooks and it also was rocking so far back and forth that soon it too fell off. Everywhere , glass was breaking (and many buildings were falling off of foundations) The glass in countless windows was falling in pieces and sometimes in sheets, in some cases several stories onto the street. Miraculously, in the part of town I was in, the electrical power remained on for quite some time. (A least a half hour!) So did the telephone, long enough for me to walk around a half mile back home, and then call family members and tell them I was okay. Right afterward, the power went out everywhere.

Shortly after that the first of what was to become a huge flood of people appeared all walking home from work, a huge flood of tens of thousands of people all walking southwards and westward, completely filling Market Street.

We spent the night in Delores Park along with thousands of other people, afraid to go back indoors.

Some time later I learned that a friend had actually been on the Bay Bridge driving towards SF at the time the earthquake hit. Being in a car she did not feel it or see any shaking, however, she was alerted to the fact that things were very wrong by the fact that suddenly ahead of her cars were slowing, stopping AND THEN TURNING AROUND AND DRIVING BACK waving to her "go back go back"!!!

A that point she was close enough to see that a huge gap had opened up which a bus was precariously teetering over. Cars were stopped and turning around to drive back which she also did.

That is something I don't want to ever experience.  My wife lived in the SF bay area during the 1989 earthquake.  She said it was one of the scariest things she has ever been through, along with being chased by a tornado in Texas years ago and being at a convenience store 15 minutes before another tornado took it down to the concrete pad, also in Texas.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 08:15:56 pm by cdev »

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3065 on: December 05, 2017, 08:20:56 pm »
Picked up a DMM7510, its nearly 17" long, the equipment rack is only 14" deep.  So picked up a small utility cabinet to set next to my workbench for it.

It requires its own shrine and does not play well with sharing it with others.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #3066 on: December 05, 2017, 09:00:23 pm »

Do you have a website on battery testing?  If so it would be helpful if you include a link to it in your profile.  Glad to see a photo of part of your setup.  Keep up the good work.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Online HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #3067 on: December 05, 2017, 09:06:07 pm »
Do you have a website on battery testing?  If so it would be helpful if you include a link to it in your profile.

Yes I have a website with battery testing, battery charger testing, usb charger testing, DMM testing and also some other stuff.

http://lygte-info.dk/

I have included it in my profile now.

The following users thanked this post: HighVoltage, ez24, bitseeker

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3068 on: December 06, 2017, 07:43:35 am »
Picked up a DMM7510, its nearly 17" long, the equipment rack is only 14" deep.  So picked up a small utility cabinet to set next to my workbench for it.  Not entirely happy with this arrangement yet.  Id prefer to have the 7510 closer to the DUT for shorter leads and less noise. 

It kind or works, its out of the way and the viewing angle is good.  Only other thing I can think of is to move the filtered power distribution block and to make some shelf under the parts bin but above the earth bar and build it where the meter would still be angled slightly.

It must be cold in there if your power supply needs a blanket!  ::)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #3069 on: December 06, 2017, 11:52:09 am »
Yes I have a website with battery testing, battery charger testing, usb charger testing, DMM testing and also some other stuff.

Wow, now that is an understatement! What an impressive array of work you have there. That’s what I call a hobby done properly. [emoji3]

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #3070 on: December 06, 2017, 03:17:52 pm »

It must be cold in there if your power supply needs a blanket!  ::)

McBryce.

Haha, that's a battery powered ovenized LTZ1000A reference I built, doing tempco measurements, have some ice packs to cool down the entire box to 10deg C.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3071 on: December 06, 2017, 05:35:58 pm »

I had a similar problem when my "lab" was in a closet and I bought an old Tektronix 2247. I ended up hanging the scope from a shelf. Tilted, it doesn't stick out so far and it was easier to see when sitting at the table.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3072 on: December 06, 2017, 07:43:37 pm »
Ah, yes, I remember your hanging Tek. I like how you did that. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3073 on: December 06, 2017, 07:48:35 pm »
If that was my DIY skills I’d have a Tek shaped dent in my head within an hour of hanging it up :)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3074 on: December 06, 2017, 07:54:32 pm »
Oh my! :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf