Author Topic: Where'd Mornsun go?  (Read 7908 times)

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Where'd Mornsun go?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2024, 11:50:28 pm »
ISTR seeing a Mornsun PSU in a Bambu Lab A1 printer in a vid recently..

Hard to see how any restrictions on parts being used within other products would be practical - where do you stop - the PSU, the components inside the PSU...

Though if you did happen to be importing a product with a Mornsun PSU, maybe it would be prudent to slap your own internal part number stickers over the original manufacturer's labels...

My understanding is that these kind of sanctions target organisations/individuals and not products specifically. This would include freezing their assets (potentially including items stocked at distributers) and prohibiting US-based individuals and companies from doing business with them. Importing goods containing their products into the US shouldn't be illegal per se but might be depending on the specific circumstances.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 11:23:24 am by switchabl »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2024, 05:34:58 pm »
Next week, the Biden administration is said to be imposing new tariffs on many chinese goods.
Relevant to us EE's - semiconductor exports including older legacy IC's are on the list (and EV's, solar cells, batteries).
Means the trade war is also being upped, as well as this Morsun sanction. Sigh. It just makes our work harder.

https://www.reuters.com/business/us-set-impose-tariffs-china-evs-certain-strategic-sectors-bloomberg-reports-2024-05-10/
OP Ed https://asia.nikkei.com/Opinion/Next-U.S.-China-chip-battle-will-require-more-than-export-controls

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2024, 12:53:42 pm »
MORNSUN GUANGZHOU SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY CO LTD (MORNSUN) is a PRC-based supplier of Tier 1 and Tier 3.A items on the BIS Common High Priority List to Russia-based end users. Items MORNSUN has supplied include electronic integral monolithic circuits. One of the Russia-based companies that received components from MORNSUN was identified as a supplier to a Russia-based entity that specializes in the production and marketing of airborne equipment for military aircraft, such as airborne weapons control radars for Russian fighter aircraft.
Which could just mean "Some Mornsun devices were found inside a crashed Russian drone. Alongside parts from a who's-who of US manufacturers, but we'll pretend we didn't see those".

Kinda scary how a well-known manufacturer can be made an unperson almost overnight on a random whim.  I've got several systems here with Mornsun parts, I wonder what'll happen if any of them need replacing?

The following users thanked this post: boB

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2024, 02:17:08 pm »
  I've got several systems here with Mornsun parts, I wonder what'll happen if any of them need replacing?
Buy them from LCSC
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2024, 12:01:11 am »
[...] Items MORNSUN has supplied include electronic integral monolithic circuits. [...]
Seems to say Mornsun is leaking out IC's to russia. Unless there is confusion about a module not being an IC.
edit: NO. Apparently Mornsun makes IC's as well, I had no idea.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 12:06:32 am by floobydust »

Offline tjlusco

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2024, 02:12:42 am »
Oh boy this is annoying. DC-DC modules are about to get a lot harder to get again. Mornsun is the OEM for about half of the "western" power module brands. Hopefully another non-US stockist takes over distribution.

If you have a product that contains Mornsun components and you export to US, are you in the clear? EO14024 seems to only affect a listed person's ability to do business with any US person.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2024, 11:58:58 am »
In China, there is an analogue of Mornsun - TP Power, it has the same product line completely similar with the replacement of the body-body.
And sorry for my English.

Offline Jasmeetgh87

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2024, 07:51:12 am »
They got sanctioned by the Govt. I have contacted X-ON Electronics and got the equivalent of Mornsun Parts. I tested myself for electrical of the new brand was exactly same as the mornsun parts.

Anyone need replacement should contact them @ www.xonelec.com

Offline daisizhou

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2024, 08:18:51 am »
Sometimes they look the same, but they are not actually the same :-DD

mornsun is different from other switching power supplies in the field of audio amplifiers.

I estimate that many friends in the United States cannot buy high-quality power supplies, or they need to spend more money to do so. :-//

daisizhou#sina.com #=@

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2024, 08:26:26 am »
Sometimes they look the same, but they are not actually the same :-DD
Yes, there is no guarantee.

I have a little experience using TP Power - about 2 years of continuous operation, the quantity is about 18 pcs.
There were no problems, but it seems that they heat up more, but this is my subjective feeling, there are no measurements and slightly different DC-DC, previously used 18-36->3.3, now 36-72->3.3 migrate to PoE power.

Yes, one more thing: the black paint is washed off.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2024, 01:04:59 pm »
Just received this from Digikey
Hello,

On May 1, 2024, Mornsun was placed on a United States sanctions list. DigiKey is committed to complying with all applicable laws and regulations, and has taken appropriate action.

We have suspended all dealings with Mornsun, and immediately blocked all shipments of Mornsun product to customers while continuing to assess the situation. As our customer, we value your partnership and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Please know we will continue to support our customers with thousands of cross references and a broad range of power supply products from leading brands such as RECOM, Murata Power Solutions, MEAN WELL, and more. We encourage you to use our Cross Reference Tool or contact our Customer Support team today to help find other options for your needs:
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2024, 01:31:45 pm »
Are you remember how very popular parts disappeared from the market?
It wasn't sanctions or an economic war.
There is always a risk of losing the availability of a part.
Design work includes forecasting available on the market, but sometimes it happens unexpectedly...  :-//

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2024, 04:24:35 pm »
would it not still be OK to clear existing stock?

Probably not.  It says somewhere at the end of the gov document linked:
SANCTIONS IMPLICATIONS

As a result of today’s sanctions-related actions, and in accordance with E.O. 14024, as amended, all property and interests in property of the sanctioned persons described above that are in the United States or in possession or control of U.S. persons are blocked and must be reported to the Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC). Additionally, all individuals or entities that have ownership, either directly or indirectly, 50 percent or more by one or more blocked persons are also blocked.

All transactions by U.S. persons or within (or transiting) the United States that involve any property or interests in property of designated or otherwise blocked persons are prohibited unless authorized by a general or specific license issued by OFAC or exempt. These prohibitions include the making of any contribution or provision of funds, goods, or services by, to, or for the benefit of any blocked person and the receipt of any contribution or provision of funds, goods, or services from any such person.
Quoted from https://ru.usembassy.gov/imposing-new-measures-on-russia-for-its-full-scale-war-and-use-of-chemical-weapons-against-ukraine/

My understanding is that all goods related with the enumerated entities were blocked.  That would include any already existing inventory/components in stock at 3rd party resellers.
IANAL, but I would interpret that to mean that anything owned by the embargoed company cannot be traded. But if it was already sold to a distributor, it is no longer the property of the embargoed company. So it really depends on whether the distributor purchased and paid for goods (i.e. distributor has full ownership) or whether they have the goods on consignment (manufacturer has ownership).

Offline winfieldhill

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2024, 09:14:48 pm »
The Mornsun parts I've been buying from LCSC and JLCPCB have disappeared without a trace.  The LCSC part number, C411281, has disappeared, although you can see a history of it on Google.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2024, 09:18:57 pm »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2024, 10:04:27 pm »
The Mornsun parts I've been buying from LCSC and JLCPCB have disappeared without a trace.  The LCSC part number, C411281, has disappeared, although you can see a history of it on Google.

So much for Canada and other countries not being affected. Looks like LCSC wants to keep completely clean too.
Still on jlc as unavailable: https://jlcpcb.com/partdetail/MORNSUN_Guangzhou_S_T-SCM1201ATA/C411281
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline daisizhou

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2024, 10:13:22 pm »
daisizhou#sina.com #=@

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, SiliconWizard

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2024, 10:30:56 pm »
Translation:

statement
Guangzhou Jinshengyang Technology Co., Ltd.

Recently, we noticed that Guangzhou Jinshengyang Technology Co., Ltd. was included in the SDN list by OFAC, the U.S. Department of the Treasury. Our company attaches great importance to this and actively responds to it under the guidance of a professional team. Our company will continue to pay attention to the subsequent development, communicate with all relevant parties, and do a good job in various tasks.

May 10, 2024
Address: No. 8, Nanyun 4th Road, Huangpu District, Guangzhou (510670)
ADD: No.8 Nanyun 4th Road, Huangpu District, Guangzhou, China
Tel: +86(20/38601850 Fax:
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2024, 07:35:52 pm »
MORNSUN GUANGZHOU SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY CO LTD (MORNSUN) is a PRC-based supplier of Tier 1 and Tier 3.A items on the BIS Common High Priority List to Russia-based end users. Items MORNSUN has supplied include electronic integral monolithic circuits. One of the Russia-based companies that received components from MORNSUN was identified as a supplier to a Russia-based entity that specializes in the production and marketing of airborne equipment for military aircraft, such as airborne weapons control radars for Russian fighter aircraft.
Which could just mean "Some Mornsun devices were found inside a crashed Russian drone. Alongside parts from a who's-who of US manufacturers, but we'll pretend we didn't see those".

US companies are legally required to at least make an effort to prevent their exports from ending up in hands they aren't supposed to, and they will keep a paper trail to demonstrate compliance with those requirements.  Hence the threads you occasionally see here complaining about Digikey or Mouser requiring additional paperwork from, or even denying sales outright to people in other countries.  So it's a lot easier for them to at least make the argument that they did their best, and they have plenty of properly-completed forms to prove it.  I doubt that Mornsun is in the same position. 

[quote snipped]
IANAL, but I would interpret that to mean that anything owned by the embargoed company cannot be traded. But if it was already sold to a distributor, it is no longer the property of the embargoed company. So it really depends on whether the distributor purchased and paid for goods (i.e. distributor has full ownership) or whether they have the goods on consignment (manufacturer has ownership).

IANAL either, but this is my interpretation as well.  The target is the assets of the sanctioned entity, not their products.  One of the hints here is that the sanctions are administered by the Office of Foreign Asset Control, not the Department of Commerce (which administers general commercial import/export controls) or Department of State (which administers import/export controls for 'munitions', which really means anything with military implications).

One of our overseas suppliers recently started using Mornsun PSUs in an assembly they produce for us.  We'll ask them to use a different supplier going forward to be on the safe side, but it's not clear to me if that's even necessary, since they're no longer Mornsun's "property" once they get to us.  I've asked a federal contact who's helped us navigate export controls in the past for guidance, will hopefully hear back on Monday. 

As an aside for anyone in the US who's having trouble navigating export requirements: get in touch with your local US Commercial Service office, they have teams of people who are paid to help you deal with those things, and if they don't know the answer they can connect you to the people who do. 

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf