Author Topic: Will Apple drop the 3.5mm Jack?  (Read 20741 times)

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Will Apple drop the 3.5mm Jack?
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2016, 05:51:52 am »
back on topic...
what do you think is happening in the iphone7?
the adapter is just a "dumb" cable that connects two different plugs and the lightning connector is used to carry analog data on requests? (as usb c 3.1 could, in theory, with the sideband pins)
or is it an interesting piece of engineering like this one?
https://www.chipworks.com/about-chipworks/overview/blog/inside-apple-lightning-30-pin-adapter
The 30 pin adapter does have a DAC so most likely the Lightning standard does not support analog audio. If the standard is extended to add support, it would cause compatibility issues with older devices.

One problem with analog headphones is that they're single ended. That's significant for mobile since the headphone outputs must either be capacitor coupled or a DC/DC converter must be used to provide a negative rail. By integrating the DAC into the headphones, the transducers can be driven BTL in order to allow operation from a single rail without coupling capacitors. Maybe even have the DAC double as a class D amplifier and reduce power requirements. (Mostly indirectly by removing analog circuits, since even -10dBm into headphones is very loud.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2016, 07:44:23 am »
on an interesting note, some guys, in some products, in order to save on the -very tiny- bom, they drive analog outputs with PWM and a series resistor only, relying on bus capacitance to smooth out the signal.
>99,9996% not what happening here but i had this fun thought for a nanosecond :)

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2016, 08:22:56 am »
no heaphone adapter though.

but look at it. that is how small a computer can get, supposedly as powerful as a 2013 macbook retina (got a notification before, didn't bother to read though).
makes you think huh?

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2016, 08:44:35 am »
The 3.5mm jack had to go to make way to the replaceable battery and the standard USB jack. Which is mandatory in the EU, so you can use standard equipment to charge it, and manufacturers dont charge (pun intended) you extra money for their proprietary stuff.
I wonder why it did not come with embedded sim card, that way you can charge people in the apple store if they want to change their phone number. I actually am surprised that they were able to disassemble it at iFixit. This would mean that people can actually repair it. Though they will need a triagonal screwdriver (I'm sure there was a reason to use that). I'm almost sure the next one will be just welded shut. For waterproofing.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2016, 09:08:01 am »
no heaphone adapter though.

but look at it. that is how small a computer can get, supposedly as powerful as a 2013 macbook retina (got a notification before, didn't bother to read though).
makes you think huh?
In progress. Ifixit tend to be very careful about taking stuff apart some it wouldn't surprise me if the adaptors require being very light without damaging anything inside.

I found it funny they x-rayed the haptic Taptic Engine. Wonder if Mike inspired them to do that...

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2016, 10:25:03 am »
same :)

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2016, 12:26:38 pm »
The 3.5mm jack had to go to make way to the replaceable battery and the standard USB jack. Which is mandatory in the EU, so you can use standard equipment to charge it, and manufacturers dont charge (pun intended) you extra money for their proprietary stuff.
I wonder why it did not come with embedded sim card, that way you can charge people in the apple store if they want to change their phone number. I actually am surprised that they were able to disassemble it at iFixit. This would mean that people can actually repair it. Though they will need a triagonal screwdriver (I'm sure there was a reason to use that). I'm almost sure the next one will be just welded shut. For waterproofing.

Not in the US. I bet you the battery can't be replaced and no way in hell is Apple using USB Micro B or USB C over here.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2016, 12:45:34 pm »

Not in the US. I bet you the battery can't be replaced and no way in hell is Apple using USB Micro B or USB C over here.

or in the EU, unless something changed recently it is not required that phone has USB connector for charging, just that you can plug in to a USB charger

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2016, 12:54:56 pm »
(the jack adapter is priced at 9$ on the apple store. an all time low for an accessory.. do they want to save the day with low margin or is it really two connectors and a cable?)

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2016, 12:55:58 pm »
While they do include an adapter to use 3.5 mm headphones, they are pushing their new wireless headphones. Bluetooth. With lossy compression. Thanks, but no thanks.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 02:09:57 pm by macboy »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2016, 01:09:44 pm »
Is it technically difficult two have the two wireless ear buds playing at exactly same phase? I presume communication is digital with packets, buffering and such.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2016, 01:12:12 pm »
While they do include an adapter to use 3.5 mm headphones, they are pushing their new wireless headphones. Blueooth. With lossy compression. Thanks, but no thanks.

Apple's earphones have always been the worst. You pay hundreds for an amazing iPhone

and get two lumps of crap.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2016, 01:12:39 pm »
Of course, Apple drops the headphones jack. They own the larget manufacturer of Bluetooth headphones. And the wireless headphones got fixed batteries which wear out. Every few years the Apple user has to buy new expensive Bluetooth headphones. Apple has to keep the revenue up. Why do people ask such stupid questions?  >:D

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2016, 01:14:47 pm »
At the distance they should be from each other, you'd probably not notice a difference. The problem I had and why I stopped using the Jaybird Freedoms was that the Bluetooth dropped out momentarily with the motion of walking. And it's another device I had to remember to charge and no matter how long the batteries last it's never enough.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2016, 01:24:03 pm »
While they do include an adapter to use 3.5 mm headphones, they are pushing their new wireless headphones. Blueooth. With lossy compression. Thanks, but no thanks.

How large is the audio delay for Bluetooth headphones? This is something which could drive any musician crazy and would render any related app useless.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2016, 02:03:50 pm »

How large is the audio delay for Bluetooth headphones? This is something which could drive any musician crazy and would render any related app useless.
It's enough that makes ADD users go mad because of lip sync. It annoys me majorly.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2016, 04:18:58 pm »
A computer magazine has done some measurements on the Lightning headphones adapter and found that it creates a loss of 4.5dB(A). Source (German): https://heise.de/-3325971

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2016, 04:23:50 pm »
A computer magazine has done some measurements on the Lightning headphones adapter and found that it creates a loss of 4.5dB(A). Source (German): https://heise.de/-3325971

Ha! Apple probably gimped it on purpose to sell their stupid headphones.

This whole thing is a load of nonsense, nothing wrong with a 3.5mm jack connector. Served us fine and is the de facto standard, pointless marketing nonsense and a cash cow for Crapple.

Offline Aodhan145

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2016, 04:45:25 pm »

Apple's earphones have always been the worst. You pay hundreds for an amazing iPhone

I rather like the ear pods. They are comfortable and actually look good and dont stick way out of your ears like others.

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2016, 05:03:17 pm »

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2016, 05:36:21 pm »

This whole thing is a load of nonsense, nothing wrong with a 3.5mm jack connector. Served us fine and is the de facto standard, pointless marketing nonsense and a cash cow for Crapple.
i wore out or broke the mini jack on on various musical instruments..
i wore out the mini jack on at least three phones (which guess what, have had for more than one year. the mini jack is mechanically very weak compared to other standards... and how many times the mp3/phone slipped out of the pocket and dropped because the damn cable detached)
i don't care if it goes to the hell it deserves while i can use a better plug for the same thing.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2016, 05:45:30 pm »

I rather like the ear pods. They are comfortable and actually look good and dont stick way out of your ears like others.

Ear buds are pretty shite. Either they fall out or require a hydraulic press to insert. I don't know I am doing it wrong, but my ears always push my inner ear buds out, and they are as far in as they can go.

I use large Logitech G930s Which have caused me to consider suicide over the crap they put me through. They sound EXCELLENT and the 7.1 Surround emulation works GREAT, and the wireless feature is nice. One problem. They constantly disconnect and reconnect with a *Cut out* *BEEEEP* *Cut in*. Some examples are worse than others. I have two (As they were gifts, not of my own idea) and the first one lost connection and gained connection every 5 seconds, charged or not. And when the replaceable battery died, I installed a replacement, and it flat out didn't work. The battery did not hold any life, and at that point I was gifted another headset (Of course gift someone another bad headset). Whatever, this one is better.

Rant over.  :rant:

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2016, 05:58:10 pm »

i wore out or broke the mini jack on on various musical instruments..
i wore out the mini jack on at least three phones (which guess what, have had for more than one year. the mini jack is mechanically very weak compared to other standards... and how many times the mp3/phone slipped out of the pocket and dropped because the damn cable detached)
i don't care if it goes to the hell it deserves while i can use a better plug for the same thing.

Might help if you were more careful with your devices, a plug isn't meant to support the weight of a device falling out of your pocket.
I can probably count on one hand the issues I've had with 3.5mm and TRRS, I've been using these in excess of 30 years.
Those times they were broken were due to my own fault, caught on a chair, vacuum cleaner or tripped over a wire. Just like any cable/connector would get damaged.

Mine and most of your examples will wear out any connector (within reason), my musical instruments use the large size jack which are pretty much indestructible 6.35mm

As for Micro USB, that's a pet hate of mine at the moment, hope USB C is more durable.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2016, 06:34:10 pm »

Having a 3.5mm connector didn't exclude wireless ear phones or water tightness.

It's a false dilemma.

Apple has a history of setting design trends. Will be interesting to see what will happen with this one. Personally I like the 3.5mm connector and earphones that don't require charging.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf