Author Topic: Wireless network SSID naming  (Read 8282 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Re: Wireless network SSID naming
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 12:58:15 am »
Usually as long as the access points are on the same subnet and ethernet broadcast domain, roaming between access points will work whether the SSIDs are the same or not.

Yes it's a quick and dirty way of doing it but involves more configuration. Why configure 3 access points on each client (or 6 if I want to use both bands) when I can just do one? It's also the reason why I'm going to ditch pre-shared keys for 802.1x authentication, that way I can simply set up a guest login which I can change (or even disable) at will, without then having to go around to every other device on the network and change the settings. The less configuration needed at the client end, the better.

I agree that is more convenient.  I do not think it is a big deal if you just have enough access points to cover a home.

I get that not everyone has a wireless controller and enterprise-grade access points, but if you do have that kind of gear (and let's be honest, you no longer have to fork out huge dollars to Cisco, Motorola or Aruba these days), then it's a much better solution.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 01:21:32 am »
I get that not everyone has a wireless controller and enterprise-grade access points, but if you do have that kind of gear (and let's be honest, you no longer have to fork out huge dollars to Cisco, Motorola or Aruba these days), then it's a much better solution.

I will settle for enterprise-grade or close to enterprise-grade access points like the Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco.  Unfortunately Ubiquiti has not upgraded them from 802.11n.  I am generally distrustful of anything which requires custom software for configuration.

My preferred setup is to place them on the perimeter facing inwards so the directional dual polarity patch antennas are facing away from outside transmitters.

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2017, 01:52:58 am »
You can also just put up a rude SSID and wait while innocence is lost around your neighborhood.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2017, 02:17:38 am »
iratus parum formica

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 04:43:09 am »

Probably an older couples' wifi.  The boobies are starting to sag.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 12:50:44 pm »
I came across...

"WellFlyForAWiFi"

recently. 

Quite like that.

Offline elecman14

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 02:00:12 pm »
If you are using WPA (type of encryption) having a common SSID can actually be harmful. Their are multiple ways an access point password can be cracked. One of the ways it is done is doing a lookup in a pre-computed "rainbow" table. The ssid is used as part of the password generation algorithm. The creators of these tables want them to be as useful as possible so they pre-compute them with the most common SSIDs. It would probably be best if you avoid any of the SSID from this list: (warning is zip file) https://www.renderlab.net/projects/WPA-tables/SSID.zip

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf