Author Topic: Aspiring electrical engineer!  (Read 5881 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Aspiring electrical engineer!
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:04:09 am »
This guy wants some dosh to get an oscilloscope.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aspiring-electrical-engineer
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:06:57 am by EEVblog »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: Aspiring electrical engineer!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:06:30 am »
What the fuck is this indigogo stuff.
 I try sending a message.
You need to signup first.
I sign up.
 Send message.
You can only send message to a user you are connected through a project..

So how do i do that. I hate these shit sites that make you jump through hoops for something simple.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 11:44:56 am »
Yes, I've heard Indiegogo sucks arse like that.
I think this is the guy on Twitter
http://twitter.com/AureliusR

Offline CanadianAvenger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 02:45:15 pm »
At least the kid is honest, and not trying to sell something that he couldn't possibly ever make.  Sadly, about a month ago I ended up tossing an old analog scope that would have gotten him started. I'll have to try and contact him to see if there is anything else he could use. He's up in Ottawa, which is not too far from me, so shipping a box of my old stuff to him wouldn't cost much. I'll also try and hook him up with a local hacker/maker space, which could be a great resource for him, bot for tools, and for learning.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 03:21:40 am »
I have a problem when people stick their hand out and say "poor me... someone please help me".

First, you can get a USB Oscilloscope for under $30 including shipping.  There is also an AVR based on for $35 with its own LED screen for $35, including shipping.  On his Twitter feed, he talks about going to this or that concert, and he's talking about buying various parts on eBay and such.  So he must have some source of $$.  If a 'scope is important enough to ask strangers for, it's important enough to sell some personal possessions for or ask family members for a small loan for.

And finally, if he is 25yrs old, does he have a job?  Why not take a second part time job to earn extra money?  Or go out and scare up a job.  When we were kids, we'd go around the neighborhood asking people if we could mow their lawn, or wash their car, or do any chores for a small amount of $$.  I bet there are some family members or friends that need some wood chopped, or a fence installed, or gardening done, or gutters cleaned, etc.

Sorry if I sound unsympathetic... but I got my first job delivering newspapers when I was 11 years old, and I've been constantly employed since then - with the only gap being 2 months of summer vacation when I finished high school but before university - and I had plenty of $$ in the bank to enjoy that summer and pay for all my books and college stuff.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 05:31:46 am »

I think he's here...

I just happened to stumble onto this forum after watching the EEVblog series on YouTube for a while...

I'm 24 years old (so I don't get as much sympathy as the 14-year-old, lol) but I am just getting back into electronics as I slowly pull my life back together. I won't go into details because I hate a pity party, suffice it to say my budget is extremely tight! I am desperate for an oscilloscope (among other things) because I need my projects to keep me busy during recovery! If I don't have something to do all day I go nuts!

Anyway, currently my projects are building an 8x8x8 LED cube (the parts are in the mail from China) and I'm also going to build a Z80 single-board computer (with any luck -- parts are also in the mail). As I'm sure most of you already know, if you're super broke like me, many companies (Atmel, Energy Micro, etc) will send you free samples.

So if that oscilloscope is still up for grabs, I'd love to somehow work something out to pay for it and have it shipped to me in Canada. Maybe I can pay in installments? I'll be keeping everyone updated through my YouTube channel as I build all these projects! I'm so excited for everything to show up so I can start building!

Anyway, I have a feeling I'm going to be on these forums a LOT! Seems like there's lots of nice people and lots of knowledge here.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 05:51:41 am »

I think he's here...

I just happened to stumble onto this forum after watching the EEVblog series on YouTube for a while...

I'm 24 years old (so I don't get as much sympathy as the 14-year-old, lol) but I am just getting back into electronics as I slowly pull my life back together. I won't go into details because I hate a pity party, suffice it to say my budget is extremely tight! I am desperate for an oscilloscope (among other things) because I need my projects to keep me busy during recovery! If I don't have something to do all day I go nuts!

Anyway, currently my projects are building an 8x8x8 LED cube (the parts are in the mail from China) and I'm also going to build a Z80 single-board computer (with any luck -- parts are also in the mail). As I'm sure most of you already know, if you're super broke like me, many companies (Atmel, Energy Micro, etc) will send you free samples.

So if that oscilloscope is still up for grabs, I'd love to somehow work something out to pay for it and have it shipped to me in Canada. Maybe I can pay in installments? I'll be keeping everyone updated through my YouTube channel as I build all these projects! I'm so excited for everything to show up so I can start building!

Anyway, I have a feeling I'm going to be on these forums a LOT! Seems like there's lots of nice people and lots of knowledge here.

He is here... he says so on his Twitter account.  Although I did not see that he replied to my post to that other kid looking for the 'scope.

I expect he'll come over to this thread soon :)

I realize my point may sound quite acidic, but I really don't mean it to be a "f-you!  I got mine so you can go get yours on your own", but rather... one of THE most important lessons in life is to utilize all your resources to get ahead.  Looking for free stuff from strangers really shouldn't be one of those resources.  Almost every business owner I know has a ton of respect for someone who's willing to hustle in order to make things happen.

This guy can have a 'scope no problem - just needs more hustle.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 06:02:33 am »
I realize my point may sound quite acidic, but I really don't mean it to be a "f-you!  I got mine so you can go get yours on your own", but rather... one of THE most important lessons in life is to utilize all your resources to get ahead.  Looking for free stuff from strangers really shouldn't be one of those resources.

And that is your opinion of course, but others may disagree.
One could easily this as just another resource available in today's world to be utilised.

Almost every business owner I know has a ton of respect for someone who's willing to hustle in order to make things happen.
This guy can have a 'scope no problem - just needs more hustle.

I think creating a crowd source campaign to get it shows at least a bit of hustle.
Yeah, sure, you can do it old school by hanging around outside university and big business dumpsters every day, or mass mailing (letter and stamp) companies or individuals you read about in a magazine (yes, I've had those letters), but it this way inherently much different?

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 07:23:17 am »
And that is your opinion of course, but others may disagree.
One could easily this as just another resource available in today's world to be utilised.

There are countless IGG campaigns where people ask for $$ because they need something.  They never succeed.  Most don't get a single contribution.  It's no different than the people who approach me constantly for sponsorship of their <insert their dream here>.  I can always tell the ones who do it right, because they have a brochure telling about impressions, what the $$ will be used for, their success to date, etc.  The rest say "Umm, if you give us $$, you will get sooooo much business because, like, EVERYONE will see it and be totally, like, blown away!". 

I think creating a crowd source campaign to get it shows at least a bit of hustle.
Yeah, sure, you can do it old school by hanging around outside university and big business dumpsters every day, or mass mailing (letter and stamp) companies or individuals you read about in a magazine (yes, I've had those letters), but it this way inherently much different?

I think the difference is one way means you actually have to go out and do something whereas this way entails simply sitting at a computer  :-DD  I rank it as a similar level of hustle to "Dad, can I have some money?" instead of "Dad, I need some money, anything I can do around the house to earn some $$?"  >:D

It's like anything else... where there is no risk, there is no reward.  Effort can be substituted for risk.  I used to troll local computer leasing companies for their broken computers back when I was 14yrs old.  I'd build a couple of decent machines a month from the broken parts and sold them for big money (this was near 25 years ago).  If someone isn't the hustling type, there are at least a dozen pay-for-work jobs posted on the Ottawa Craigslist site each day - everything from people needing help loading a truck, to lots of temp work in Calgary for the floods they've had. 

Just gotta hustle :)

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 07:23:38 pm »
I think I'm with Coropoate666 on this one.  Creating a crowd source campaign might even show less hustle.  Sitting in front of your computer and clicking a few buttons is pretty easy these days.  It's like sending your generic resume to 1000 random companies by email, vs actually going to an office of a company you think you can add some value to and hand delivering a resume.  That would show some hustle.  Plus there was no way I could watch all 12 minutes of that rambling video. 

And I didn't know having an oscilloscope and a full rework station were the prerequisites for getting into college these days.  The admissions department must be really cracking down.  When I went to college I didn't have an oscilloscope, and I'm pretty sure I had that same radio shack soldering iron.  At least when I was there they had these buildings that have "lab" written above the door and they have a bunch of oscilloscopes and other equipment that the students can use.  So this dude can't save up $100USD but he expects to be able to pay for college (even with financial aid, I'm pretty sure you have expenses related to school)?  Or is the idea that once he has an oscilloscope and a soldering iron then he can use them to earn college money by making LED cubes?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf