Author Topic: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005  (Read 154257 times)

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
Re: EEZ Bench Box 3 - Sequel to EEZ H24005
« Reply #550 on: January 01, 2021, 08:36:57 am »
We finished 2020 at the last minute with 2^8 backers! I would like to thank everyone once again for their support, understanding and patience. The real challenge is just ahead of us: 2021 in which we should somehow get 2^10 sales to survive. We'll see if this time the mission impossible will be really impossible (maybe it's time to invite some Tom Cruise into the game). I wish you all the best in the New Year, to endure what is yet to happen.

The following users thanked this post: AlanS, Andrew McNamara

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #551 on: January 01, 2021, 10:41:19 am »
Excellent news, and thank you for creating an excellent tool  :-+

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #552 on: January 01, 2021, 11:50:18 pm »
Well done. We're all looking forward to what comes next.

Offline Moragor

« Reply #553 on: January 08, 2021, 04:28:49 pm »
Does someone know what's up with shipping? My order was supposed to be shipped on December 11, but is still being processed. I contacted the creator via the form on Crowdsupply on Monday, didn't get an answer.
There's no update about shipping delays, no email notification, nothing. Did anyone receive their order that was placed after the first (original backer) Units were shipped?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #554 on: January 08, 2021, 04:47:23 pm »
Hi Moragor, unfortunately I have not control over shipping process, but I was opened a new issue in their internal tracker instantly, but didn't see any action so far. As many already learned in one or another way is that everything with CS takes time (actually ages if comparison with other companies in so-called digital age). Why is that I don't know, perhaps lack of resources. Regarding estimated Dec, 11th shipping date: a new batch arrived on the US soil at Dec, 3rd and due to lack of response from CS (or Mouser), DHL finalize delivery at Dec, 18th. But, that shipment is still not officially entered Mouser warehouse, at least didn't two days ago!!! One thing is for sure, when it become available in Mouser warehouse system, you can expect delivery within 2-3 days.

Offline Moragor

« Reply #555 on: January 08, 2021, 04:53:53 pm »
Thanks for clarifying.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline victorhooi

• Contributor
« Reply #556 on: January 15, 2021, 05:03:13 am »
@prasimix - I did receive my unit - thank you!

There was a couple of small issues I noticed during assembly though.

Firstly - for one of the modules, there is a capacitors missing from the top-right corner:

I assume it was damaged in handling or in shipping?

And secondly, for the protective earth cable - one of the terminal ends was missing:

Finally - the earth connector on the AC board is slightly bent - but I assume that's not a big deal?

Do you know how to sort out the faulty module or earth cable though?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 05:57:31 am by victorhooi »

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #557 on: January 15, 2021, 07:19:42 am »
Hi, the elco on the dcp405 module definitely fell off during transport. This is not the first reported case: this is Bolek & Lolek quality :(. Please just solder it back.

The Earth cable requires the addition of a Quick Disconnects 4.8 mm terminal. If you can't do it yourself send me the shipping address to PM and I'll send you a new cable.

Offline victorhooi

• Contributor
« Reply #558 on: January 15, 2021, 07:29:03 am »
Hi Prasimix,

OK, let me see if I can solder it back carefully. Sorry to hear it's not the first reported case  |O

I will let you know how it goes.

If the capacitor was also damaged (beyond just being knocked off), there's no risk to the rest of the unit, right?

Let me see if I can find that missing terminal locally - otherwise I may need you to send a replacement.

For now, if I don't connect that terminal to the second module - is it a major issue?

Finally, I was able to update firmware from version 1.0 (what it shipped with) to version 1.5 (latest on Github).

I do note the boot0 switch is a little tricky to press - I actually had to take off the top cover, and watch as I pushed the pin in

I also tried to use EEZ Studio to update the module firmware from my macOS machine.

However, it didn't give me an option to update the firmware, and it lists the firmware as version "0.0".

Is that normal? Or is there some way to update the DP405 firmware?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #559 on: January 15, 2021, 07:43:29 am »
If the capacitor was also damaged (beyond just being knocked off), there's no risk to the rest of the unit, right?

Right, just don't source more then e.g. 3 A

Let me see if I can find that missing terminal locally - otherwise I may need you to send a replacement.

For now, if I don't connect that terminal to the second module - is it a major issue?

No

I do note the boot0 switch is a little tricky to press - I actually had to take off the top cover, and watch as I pushed the pin in

I'd like to suggest usage of DMM probe tip, no need to remove top cover :)

I also tried to use EEZ Studio to update the module firmware from my macOS machine.

However, it didn't give me an option to update the firmware, and it lists the firmware as version "0.0".
Is that normal? Or is there some way to update the DP405 firmware?

Ok, I got the point: 0.0 looks confusing, we'll remove numbering for module that doesn't have an on-board MCU (as DCP), therefore no firmware is available for it. I'll report that on GitHub.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #560 on: January 15, 2021, 07:49:37 am »
Misleading info about firmware version for DCP module is reported as #96.

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline Moragor

« Reply #561 on: January 18, 2021, 11:46:02 am »
Update: My unit arrived today. :D

Offline victorhooi

• Contributor
« Reply #562 on: January 26, 2021, 01:51:42 am »
@prasimix - OK, I tried resoldering the capacitor back onto the faulty board. However, the capacitance measured appears completely different to the other (working) board.

Is there some way I can simply send back the faulty board to replace with an intact board, considering it arrived to me damaged?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #563 on: January 26, 2021, 08:17:22 am »
@prasimix - OK, I tried resoldering the capacitor back onto the faulty board. However, the capacitance measured appears completely different to the other (working) board.

Is there some way I can simply send back the faulty board to replace with an intact board, considering it arrived to me damaged?

How did you measured capacitance by removing them from both boards? If they are connected with the rest of the circuit you can expect anything but accurate measurement. Still, you can send me back that module if you consider it faulty and doesn't work as expected (i.e. cannot deliver all 5 A).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:41:54 am by prasimix »

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #564 on: January 26, 2021, 04:26:14 pm »
Today we finished a series of EMC tests. It remains to pass safety testing according to EN 61010-1. Keep your finger crossed!

The following users thanked this post: exe, AlanS, Andrew McNamara, gorignak, elekorsi

Offline victorhooi

• Contributor
« Reply #565 on: January 27, 2021, 06:46:38 pm »
@prasimix - Yes, I did remove the board to measure the values. (Gave it some time to discharge, just in case).

Do you know what address I should send the faulty board back to? (Feel free to PM me if easier, or post here - whichever you prefer).

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #566 on: February 04, 2021, 02:27:55 pm »
Dear all, I just got information from the lab that the CE testing is over! We have certified BB3 with DCP405 and DCM224 modules.

The following users thanked this post: fuzzoli, PlainName, Kean, exe, AlanS, Andrew McNamara, elekorsi

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #567 on: February 05, 2021, 12:33:44 am »
Dear all, I just got information from the lab that the CE testing is over! We have certified BB3 with DCP405 and DCM224 modules.

Cool!

What does this practically mean to users? As I understand, this required new aux-psu and mcu boards?

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #568 on: February 05, 2021, 07:56:01 am »
Practically for existing users this means they have a configuration that cannot pass all CE tests.

This should show to existing and future users our commitment to try to do things right and to try to push the boundaries of seeing open hardware as trivial and questionable solutions (i.e. untested and uncertified). We will continue with CE testing for new modules: SMX46, PREL6, MIO168 and MUX14D.

Even if the configuration that was offered through the crowdfunding campaign could pass the CE tests I think as long as it is offered in the kit version it can't get CE marking but if anyone would like to have a configuration that is compliant it should replace (in this order):
  • Mean well LRS-150F-48 with EPP-150-48
  • AUX-PS with r3B4 version
  • MCU with r3B3
  • DCP405 with r3B3 and
  • DCM220 with DCM224
I will soon be posting on Github a design of modules that has passed CE testing (DCM224 is actually already available).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 07:57:59 am by prasimix »

The following users thanked this post: Kean, AlanS, Andrew McNamara

Offline AlanS

• Supporter
« Reply #569 on: February 07, 2021, 10:27:01 pm »
But those of us who were early supporters at least can regale in the joy of knowing we helped to get a great concept to a good place - and have a platform that has real growth potential.   :clap:

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
EEZ BB3 firmware v1.6
« Reply #570 on: February 16, 2021, 09:18:06 am »
Firmware v1.6 has been released. Once again we would like to thank everyone who continued to support our effort with donations to our Liberapay account.

Link: https://github.com/eez-open/modular-psu-firmware/releases/tag/1.6

The following users thanked this post: exe, Andrew McNamara

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #571 on: February 16, 2021, 10:35:45 am »
Thank you  :-+

Ummm... I have a feature I would like implemented (or to implement) but I am not sure of the best way to suggest it: whether to file a feature request or set about writing a plug-in.

The feature I have in mind, unsurprisingly perhaps, is with the encoder adjusting voltage or current. Sometimes I want to waggle it up and down the see how the circuit reacts, but when I am looking at a scope trace I don't know what I am setting the output to, and it can easily (very very easily) go over or under the desired limits.

So, the feature is to add high and low limits to adjustment. This is not the same as setting the max output values (which would typically be higher than the allowed wiggling values, and don't have lower limits either). One might set the 5V rail to a normal 5.6V crowbar, but want to waggle between 3.3V and 4.8V.

I find this so useful that I did actually make a remote pendant for my HP 6632B, which had the added advantage that the output display (and control) was there right next to what I am looking at. I am wondering if I should redo that for the BB3, write a plug-in instead, or just slap it on the feature request list...

Edit: picture worth a thousand words:

The attached show current and volt outputs on the left, adjusting current to 50mA, range on the right from 30-70mA.
1175342-0

Setting the amp range. All adjustment is done via the pot with the push buttons controlling edit field. Green button turns output on and off, yellow switches between set and user.
1175346-1

Adjusting volts, currently (ha ha) at 5.1V, range 4.98V to 5.14V. Current fixed at 70mA.
1175350-2

For completeness, voltage range setting.
1175354-3

The following users thanked this post: Kean, prasimix

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #572 on: February 16, 2021, 10:39:05 am »
Feel free to add a new issue on GitHub, we'll follow up, sounds like useful feature.

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
« Reply #573 on: February 16, 2021, 04:18:24 pm »
BTW, danielbriggs reported the third option on the latest firmware at first start: :-DD ... so cute!

The following users thanked this post: Kean, exe, AlanS, Andrew McNamara

Offline prasimix

• Supporter
    • EEZ
NLnet donation
« Reply #574 on: February 17, 2021, 02:17:19 pm »
Breaking news! We have signed a MoU with NLnet on funding our project from the NGI0 PET fund. This is a great recognition for our efforts in developing the open source software and hardware T&M solution. I believe this will help us a lot on our path to self-sustainability.

https://nlnet.nl/project/EEZ-DIB/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf