Author Topic: Own Kickstarter - SubPos Ranger: Indoor Positioning System  (Read 2695 times)

Offline bleckersTopic starter

• Contributor
Own Kickstarter - SubPos Ranger: Indoor Positioning System
« on: July 09, 2016, 12:44:19 pm »
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd post an Aussie Kickstarter my wife and I have been developing, for some scrutiny, questions and/or suggestions (I'm a tech guy and write like one, so if you have some marketing advice that would be awesome too). It's based on the Atmel ATREB233SMAD-EK development platform and gives pretty accurate line of site positioning for hobbyists to play and experiment with. The boards we are releasing are a versatile 2.4GHz RF platform that not only measure distance and position between each other, they can even passively detect motion without any client hardware (see the updates for a demo video), or be used for a variety of other RF purposes (it uses the Atmel AT86RF233 chipset).

Anyway, here goes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subpos/subpos-ranger-indoor-positioning-system

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: Own Kickstarter - SubPos Ranger: Indoor Positioning System
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 01:14:28 pm »
Can't hear your voice over the music, so thanks for the subtitles.
I think this is an old person thing rather than a clarity issue as I've only recently noticed it, although a better microphone helps.

This has to work on a cat, all other applications are less interesting.

It's £31, for anyone in the UK (+shipping?)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:17:19 pm by bitslice »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 01:16:28 pm »
Oh really? Thanks for that! I'll play it back on a few devices and try to get the volume right and re-upload.

It will definitely work for cats too. I just need to borrow a cat to demo it :P

Edit: I've just adjusted it a bit, hopefully the background music doesn't drown out the voice now.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:41:32 pm by bleckers »

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 01:35:03 pm »
Apparently it's a degradation in temporal discrimination (the cocktail party effect) rather than a hearing loss
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/aaa/jaaa/2012/00000023/00000008/art00007

sorry for the tangent, just adding to my trivia collection

anyhoo, if you wanted to cover a larger area (say a Uni campus), would you just add more boards?
I've heard of less accurate systems that just use whatever wi-fi access points are in range.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 01:49:04 pm »
anyhoo, if you wanted to cover a larger area (say a Uni campus), would you just add more boards?
I've heard of less accurate systems that just use whatever wi-fi access points are in range.

You could definitely do it, however you do need the client to get the distance measurements. I have created a "dataless" Wi-Fi positioning system that the Ranger works with to support this sort of functionality (http://subpos.org/?q=details), but I don't think it would see wide support because of the hardware requirements.

Just using the Wi-Fi positioning system on its own however works with most smartphones that allow you to use the Wi-Fi scanning APIs (not Apple unfortunately). So if you don't mind the lower accuracy you get from distance measurements with RSSI, you could use that (it's all open-source).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf