Author Topic: Pattern/Component Library Tutorial  (Read 14279 times)

Offline harnonTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Is this thing on?
    • My Personal Website
Pattern/Component Library Tutorial
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:48:30 pm »
My first attempt at a video tutorial... more issues getting the software to work than I imagined and geez I move the mouse around a lot, but oh well its a start!

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
Re: Pattern/Component Library Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 12:26:57 am »
Very nice!  pace was perfect for me. I would rather backup to hear something I missed than fall asleep with a overly slow presentation.  do some more :)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 02:30:02 am »
Thank you , that is a really nice video you made there, looks like its time to build my own one, I feel motivated now. ;)

• Regular Contributor
  • Is this thing on?
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:24:28 pm »
Thanks guys.

Anything in particular you would like to see robrenz?

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:34:49 pm »
Thanks guys.

Anything in particular you would like to see robrenz?

I just downloaded Diptrace after watching your video.  It looks pretty intuitive and I was able to slog around after just watching thier overview video. It seems there is pretty good coverage of the basics on the tutorialsl available on the site. I would suggest something you know is not currently covered. I am new to pcb design and have fooled around with eagle but Diptrace is better for me.

Offline Fox

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronics Engineer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:04:05 pm »
Thanks great video for basic component creation.
How about a video covering  the more "advanced" stuff like multipart components?

I think component creation is one of the most critical elements in an PCB Layout package, because most of the time you have to, or want to build your own components just the way you prefer them.
If component creation is over complicated and unintuitive than that's IMHO a real deal breaker for a pcb package.
As you showed in Diptrace it is very easy to create components in comparison to other programs.
A closed Switch should have zero Ohms or less!

• Regular Contributor
  • Is this thing on?
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:18:25 pm »
Hey,
Thanks for the feedback. :D I'm going to do a quick one on hierarchical sheets next, then I was thinking something like multi-parts as I just figured that out the other day...

Its on my "whiteboard" to do list at home... but currently 19th in the list as its coursework season at uni :-\

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:49:19 am »
Excellent work, you are a natural.

I'd like to see some more on routing and board layout.

regards

SW
So long and thanks for all the fish

• Regular Contributor
  • Is this thing on?
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 05:04:22 pm »
Thanks Steve,
I wouldn't dare do a routing / board layout tutorial to be honest as I'm sure 99% of people on this forum know more about it than I do! Dave did a PDF tutorial which is useful, and I found his layout tutorials for the power supply quite good as well.  If you search EMI design or similar on this board there are quite a few hints / concepts mentioned for laying out low EMI boards which are a good start as well.

I've just finished cutting a second tutorial (in a study break :D) on hierarchy blocks.  Its 4 mins so a lot shorter...

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 01:11:49 am »
Excellent work,

I appreciate whatever you can do; it's good to see someone else doing it with sensible explanations as well. 

I was screaming connect the ground while I was watching, my missus told me to calm down or she wont let me blog for a week :-)

regards

Steve W

• Regular Contributor
  • Is this thing on?
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 01:33:34 am »
haha... yeah, wasn't really thinking about the circuit until I came back to it at the end, then it was kind of glaring at me :D

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 06:55:22 am »
Harmon,

I'm trying to make a pattern for a relay, the pin spacing is not regular, see the data sheet @ http://www.futurlec.com/Relays/HF115FP-012DC.shtml ; the problem I am having is how to make the pins space right.  any feedback would be good.

regards

SW

• Regular Contributor
  • Is this thing on?
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 07:24:23 am »
Hey Steve,
If they arent spaced regularly your best bet i just to calculate x and y Coord for each pad from the data sheet.  Use the "free" layout option and manually add the correct number of pads in roughly the right place. Then go in to each pad (right click >> pad properties) and set each x/y in the boxes.

Will

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 10:01:16 am »
Old saying when all else fail RTFM.

I did this and worked out a few things.  Once I went to free things got a whole lot easier.  I set the grid to .01 and was able to make all my dimensions accurately.  Is there a construction line or similar tool?

Note I am using an apple (this was not my decision) if anyone knows how to do a right mouse click on an apple please let me know.

regards

Steve w

• Regular Contributor
  • Is this thing on?
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 10:40:42 pm »
use the "free" layout option

:D

I personally type the co-ords in the text box as it doesn't matter what grid you have set, but of course whatever works for you!

My Mrs has an Apple and I have real difficulty right clicking.  I think you put one finger on the pad and then tap with another but I can never get it to work!!

Offline 2XL

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 12:04:24 am »
Harnon,

Very nice video tutorial.  What program are you using to capture your screen audio and video?

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 11:56:11 pm »
Hey harnon,

I get what you mean about typing the values in the text box now.  I am flying through now, thanks for the good advice.

regards

SW

• Regular Contributor
  • Is this thing on?
    • My Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 01:40:10 am »
Harnon,

Very nice video tutorial.  What program are you using to capture your screen audio and video?

I think it's called ActivePresenter or something similar. When you turn off all the featuresits quite good, but with all the extras on the videos it generates are terrible!

Offline bearman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 09:07:30 am »
For items without a spec sheet I will measure everthing myself with calipers and sketch it out so I have the info all ready to input into Diptrace. 

Then I use the grid to get my pad as close as possible to where it should be.   I will then change the pad to a larger size and enlarge the hole slightly to give some play in the finished board to allow easy insertion of my parts.  The footprint of the parts such as a realy cover the larger holes so its not  a deal breaker.

I presenlty am not sending boards out for mass production either though.  Yet!!!!   I don't see anything wrong with this method. 

B
Work is for people that don't know how to fish.

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 01:37:53 am »
Hey Bearman,

I am handicapped, I doing this on a Mac so I'm on a learning curve, I've never had a Mac before, they suck bigtime!! (I'll learn though :-))

I miss a lot cause the right click don't work on a Mac in the Wine environment, I just worked out what Harnon was describing using the grid, works a treat.  So I have had my calipers out just like you.  I would say I am at a similar stage in the learning circle.  I have a few designs that will shortly go to mass production. 

What I would like is better library management where I could pre pick all the components for my design and put them into a "project library" for the design.  This flipping between libraries sucks.  The way Diptrace did the Mac software was to bundle it up in something called Wine which is emulating a windows environment so I have all manner of problems figuring out the folder structure and when I make my own libraries they are hard navigate to. 

I will probably take it to the Windows PC in my workshop and start again. 

regards

Steve W

Offline bearman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 03:21:39 am »
Macs are supposed to be dynomite for graphical apps.   Unfortunately you are adapting windows software to work on a Mac.  Good luck.

B
Work is for people that don't know how to fish.

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 10:21:30 pm »
Thanks, you answered one or two questions I had about making a component. Off Topic but you accent doesn't sound British, not one of Dave's mob :D are you? ;D Any-who keep them coming. How about a rundown on board outlines especially internal apertures not having a lot of luck yet getting mine to work correctly.
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline steve_w

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 08:20:02 pm »
And after the board outline how about flood fill ?

regards

Steve W

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf