Author Topic: 100KW wireless EV charging at 96% efficient using polyphase electromag coupling?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
I noticed something interesting over the years. Its usually heaters that catch on fire.

Err, no.
A refrigirator in a carport caught fire and burned down a house like 75m away from our house (last year).
A chimney caught fire and burned down a house right next to my brothers house (couple of weeks ago).

Luckily no one was hurt, but both houses (though being stone houses) need to be torn down.
Lesson learned: There is a reason, why one should have a good insurance.

Offline mtwieg

• Regular Contributor
Overall I'm certain the claims in this article are BS (it's possible the article is misrepresenting things though).

Wireless power transfer efficiency is bottlenecked by the size of the coils relative to the gap between them. The article says the devices (including the coils) are only 14 inches, and a 5 inch gap between them is large enough that 96% efficiency isn't plausible, even if just considering passive losses in the coils. Especially when considering all the proximity effects you'd get from the surrounding conductive components of the car.

And the use of the term "polyphase" is highly suspect. Splitting the coupling circuits into multiple coils/inverters/rectifiers makes no sense at all. Sounds like the term was just added to sound cool.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
Momentum Dynamics/InductEV seems to operate at about 75kW per charging plate which is about the same size. Can't afford much losses at that power.

There is something to be said for solid state, a couple percentage loss vs having to deal with maintenance on connectors and cables.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 03:14:10 pm by Marco »

Offline Haenk

• Super Contributor
There is something to be said for solid state, a couple percentage loss vs having to deal with maintenance on connectors and cables.

There ought to be some numbers now - as EVs have been a thing for a couple of years now.
I never heard manufacturers or customers complaining about broken cables of plugs - is this a thing?
(Broken charging stations, yes, but I guess those are mainly down due to connections issues.)
I have my EV now for pretty exactly 3 years, charging 5 days a week - so that's running up to 1k "plugs" now, and I don't notice any wear. However, I treat my equipment well, public equipment might suffer lot more...

Offline twospoons

• Regular Contributor
Copper thieves are the real driver for wireless public EV charging.

The following users thanked this post: racemaniac

Offline racemaniac

• Contributor
Copper thieves are the real driver for wireless public EV charging.
Indeed, i was thinking the same. Everyone here is looking at it from the technical perspective, where it's worse than a cable, but to combat cable theft, it might make sense.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf