Author Topic: Remember batteries with a quality meter on their side ?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline MathWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Remember batteries with a quality meter on their side ?
« on: November 29, 2022, 04:27:49 pm »
Remember back when a lot of AA and similar batteries, had some strip on the side of them, that would change color, when pressed, to indicate the batteries charge/usefulness ?

So how did they actually work, and how much power did it use ? Did it drain the batteries much to check them ?? I'm guessing it was some chemically doped strip that responded to a voltage and/or current, with some color change.

Was it a bit of a scam ? (not everyone has a DMM) Especially knowing kids like me would be trying to check batteries for no reason ?

Offline xmris

• Contributor
Re: Remember batteries with a quality meter on their side ?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 04:49:01 pm »
its the duracell powercheck, not sure what was the name for other brands, I am not expert on those, thermo-chromic  element/indicator.
READY.

Offline kjr18

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 04:49:43 pm »
They were using material that changes colour depending on temperature, and small heater under it. With fresh battery you could achieve bigger temperature, with depleted battery only a little. For measuring if battery still has some useful energy, you need to test it under load. Not really a scam, but I think there was some other reason why they don't use this anymore.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 05:03:59 pm »
The ones I remember had the problem that you had to squeeze them to turn on the measurement strip. However some battery holders could do the same thing, so the battery drained.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 05:12:10 pm »
The colour strip was a liquid crystal thermally sensitive display, much like those stick-on aquarium thermometers. As kjr18 says, it has a resistive heating element underneath it, and sucks a fair bit of current, shortening the life of the battery, particularly if you use it a lot.
I can imagine if the battery compartment is tight, it could activate and drain the cells in pretty short order, which might be why they stopped making them.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: MathWizard

Offline MathWizardTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 07:26:34 am »
Ok I'm not surprised they went away then. My main memory of them is pressing the strip/button just to see if the color would actually change. And it didn't seem to work great, so I'd press the button even more...

It reminds me of ice cream that has stuff mixed with it, like chocolate chips. It so easy it just keep eating until you find another chocolate chip. And then you have to buy more.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 07:30:43 am by MathWizard »

Offline Vincent

• Regular Contributor
  • May or may not be a Tektronix fanboy
    • The Vince Electric Laboratory
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 02:28:29 am »
It was a toy, both metaphorically AND literally.

I liked pressing those as a kid. I was always like "lolol it changes colour!"  :popcorn:

...yup, that was a time before social media and smartphones!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf