Author Topic: Studiospares 44900/Soundking EE 301 Mic 48v Phantom Power Supply  (Read 1747 times)

Offline TheBayTopic starter

• Supporter
Picked this up from a second hand shop today, never seen one with a mains input before and it felt heavy so thought great it's got a nice linear transformer rather than a SMPS that some come with.
Got it home and first thing I did was pop the cover off.

Yes that label does say 170v on the transformer secondary winding, I got a reading of 220v unloaded with a 240v input.
Who came up with the design for this? granted that PSU is rated at a low current but that's just not the point, the last thing you want is a Mic with 170v+ going up it if something goes wrong,
look how they are are dropping this voltage, bridge rectifier to DC and some caps and resistors!

Look a the X capacitor just held on with hot snot (It's actually come off!) and the connections are insulated with insulation tape!

I dread to think what the other AC input is for, I'm wondering if that's for 100-120v countries and they don't bother with a transformer  :-//

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:04:35 am by TheBay »

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
Re: Studiospares 44900/Soundking EE 301 Mic 48v Phantom Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 04:06:21 am »
Risk of visual shock, DO NOT OPEN! ;D

Don't worry it's "PPASS"ed it'll be fine right? ;) (Chinesium alert)

If the sockets are paralleled somehow then voltage should come out the other. That's probably the only reason for using an HV transformer.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
Re: Studiospares 44900/Soundking EE 301 Mic 48v Phantom Power Supply
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 10:51:56 am »
It is difficult to see, but might that cap be in **series** with the transformer primary?

This would kind of make sense if they were repurposing a transformer intended for a valve preamp or the like where a 220V secondary feels quite reasonable, still a nasty hack, but I can kind of see it.

Regards, Dan.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf