I just hate to see gross error stand unchallenged.
Oh, yes, and so do I. I feel exactly the same way. However, whilst being happy to engage in argument with anyone who peddles pseudoscience bullshit (indeed I feel it is a duty), I think arguing with an AI (including via a proxy, as now) is a different matter.
AI isn't "reasonable" or "rational", because those are human qualities. Crucially, it isn't
unreasonable or
irrational either, because again they are human qualities. I don't think you can assign those qualities to a machine. However, I have barely begun to explore this issue, and I could be wrong. I am pretty sure, though, that arguing with an AI is pretty fruitless because - although an AI will sometimes admit to making a mistake - it doesn't embrace and learn from being corrected. An AI will never say "You've changed the way I think; I've learned something from you today". (I guess it could be programmed to say that, but it would hardly be sincere. 😄)
Crucially, when the current session with the AI is closed, the conversation is discarded and it's like it never happened. And frankly, it's like you never existed. Nothing about the AI has changed. Obviously the user's client software keeps a record of each conversation, which can be used as context for a subsequent conversation, but that's as far as it goes.
I think I need to do a lot more thinking around this.
Back to Chet and his AI. If his posts are an incoherent word salad without discernible structure, it's him talking. If the sentences are grammatically correct and the text is structured, it's his AI talking. There's been a lot of that recently.