Edit: you reworded your post, while I was writing my reply 
Yes, I noticed that I had written my response with the simplest example in mind which could invite people to say "it doesn't apply to the general case". Oh dear. Well ... it does!
There are all sorts of algorithms to do such an interpolation. Does not have to be linear.
Well, what I tried to explain is that this exact statement has nothing to do with the problem at hand, that's the whole point. Linear or not, when talking about interpolation we are talking about
statistical methods. For those to apply, you need to
data points which we don't have on a non-audio CD.
Furthermore it was about reading the audio tracks on a computer. The question was about if the computer makes a distinction when reading it as digital data.
When the audio CD data is treated as non-audio, you already have given the answer yourself. In this case, the hardware cannot apply any kind of interpolation since
there are no data points to interpolate. If non-audio data cannot be read, this is called an I/O error. Hardware that says "oh my, I can't read those bits! but never mind, I'll just make some up real quick" would be useless.
However, AFAIK the hardware can be configured to ignore read errors and continue reading.