Author Topic: WiGL - another infeasible wireless power nonsense  (Read 3593 times)

Online madiresTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
WiGL - another infeasible wireless power nonsense
« on: July 17, 2021, 02:43:17 pm »
Dave's brief video:
https://odysee.com/@eevblog2:4/beware-the-asterisk!:1

The long story:
https://www.startengine.com/wigl

BTW, the 2.4 GHz ISM band is limited to 100 mW in most countries. Happy wireless charging! >:D

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: WiGL - another infeasible wireless power nonsense
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 06:31:24 pm »
Ahah, that's fun. The frickin project raised almost $5M too. What a bunch of idiots. We should definitely start projects on crowd funding platforms I guess. We are missing out on the cash cow? :-DD

Oh, "touchless, wireless power". It's not just wireless, it's touchless too! Don't f*cking touch meeeeeeee! :-DD

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 08:03:25 pm »
BTW, the 2.4 GHz ISM band is limited to 100 mW in most countries.

Probably some company in China makes it, and doesn't even bother to get it FCC certified. I wouldn't doubt that it actually uses more power than is legal for charging. I wouldn't assume its output was only 100mW. You can buy Chinese FM transmitters that output 10 WATTS of power, only legal if you have at least an LPFM (low power FM) license. By the way an LPFM license is something MOST people don't have, and can't get (you can only apply to the FCC for this license during an application window, and the last application window was like 10 years ago, and FCC seems to have no plans to open a new application window). So unless you already have a license for such an FM transmitter, who's output power goes WELL ABOVE the FCC Part 15 limit, it's illegal to use. Yet you can buy these ILLEGAL FM transmitters on Amazon, an American company, that should be following American laws.

So no, I don't doubt that this wireless charger operates at illegal power levels to charge effectively, because the fact is illegal stuff like that gets sold even on Amazon, the most trusted online store on all of the internet. And unless the FCC actually cracks down (and from what I've seen, they don't, unless they actually get a complaint from somebody about RF interference), people are probably going to keep making and selling illegal RF products, because only enforcement of the law is what will stop them from doing so.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 08:29:34 pm »

Probably some company in China makes it, and doesn't even bother to get it FCC certified. I wouldn't doubt that it actually uses more power than is legal for charging. I wouldn't assume its output was only 100mW. You can buy Chinese FM transmitters that output 10 WATTS of power, only legal if you have at least an LPFM (low power FM) license. By the way an LPFM license is something MOST people don't have, and can't get (you can only apply to the FCC for this license during an application window, and the last application window was like 10 years ago, and FCC seems to have no plans to open a new application window). So unless you already have a license for such an FM transmitter, who's output power goes WELL ABOVE the FCC Part 15 limit, it's illegal to use. Yet you can buy these ILLEGAL FM transmitters on Amazon, an American company, that should be following American laws.

So no, I don't doubt that this wireless charger operates at illegal power levels to charge effectively, because the fact is illegal stuff like that gets sold even on Amazon, the most trusted online store on all of the internet. And unless the FCC actually cracks down (and from what I've seen, they don't, unless they actually get a complaint from somebody about RF interference), people are probably going to keep making and selling illegal RF products, because only enforcement of the law is what will stop them from doing so.

According to them the transmitter power is 1W, using a standard RF amp.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 08:39:31 pm »
Designed by 100% disabled Veteran

Means the guy was ... dead when he "designed" it  :-//
Even Steven Hawkins was not "100% disabled" .
Trying to appeal to your patriotic self  :bullshit:
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 08:50:52 pm »
Designed by 100% disabled Veteran

Means the guy was ... dead when he "designed" it  :-//
Even Steven Hawkins was not "100% disabled" .
Trying to appeal to your patriotic self  :bullshit:

No, it does not mean that.

In the US, the VA will use a percentage disability (and other factors) to determine compensation level https://www.va.gov/disability/compensation-rates/veteran-rates/

The determination of the percentage is complicated and depends on the disability. To give you an idea, here is some text on the determination of the percentage in the case of "Mental Disorders". edit: forgot to add a link e.g., for PTSD https://www.hillandponton.com/part4-rating-ptsd/

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:16:23 pm by DrG »
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 04:39:08 am »
Ok, the inventor indeed fits 100% mental disorder diagnosis, given the invention. :box:

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 04:57:49 pm »
Dave showed they were just using off-the-shelf dev kits for RF detection. The rest, IMHO, is of no interest. Trying to possibly figure out what they used as RF amplifiers - frankly who cares? It's rather clearly a pile of bullshit. Even their demos may not even be real. But if they are, they are clearly neither practical nor even legal. I thought it was fun seeing this plastic storage case used for the receiving side. They didn't even bother using a decent enclosure. It's a detail, but frankly, apart from the silliness of the approach, showing that you have so little means for prototyping your idea and still being able to raise $5M doesn't make any sense.

Offline Ultrawipf

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 06:38:06 pm »
That one demo charging the iPhone does not even look like there is any wireless element present.
Did they just split the output from the amplifier into the harvesting boards directly?  :palm:

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 09:08:39 pm »
When asked by a commenter to make the engineers understand better whilst being challenged by Dave they start talking about trade secrets/pulling down video's to blur bits out of it.

The video has already been seen what difference is it going to make now.

It just sound bullshit to me and it seems to getting sillier.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 09:21:39 pm »
Dave showed they were just using off-the-shelf dev kits for RF detection. The rest, IMHO, is of no interest. Trying to possibly figure out what they used as RF amplifiers - frankly who cares? It's rather clearly a pile of bullshit. Even their demos may not even be real. But if they are, they are clearly neither practical nor even legal. I thought it was fun seeing this plastic storage case used for the receiving side. They didn't even bother using a decent enclosure. It's a detail, but frankly, apart from the silliness of the approach, showing that you have so little means for prototyping your idea and still being able to raise $5M doesn't make any sense.

afaict they don't really want to make or develop anything, they just want to be a patent troll parasite that gets a cut any time someone uses wireless
power in case someone breaks the laws of physics and makes it work

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 05:54:36 am »
When asked by a commenter to make the engineers understand better whilst being challenged by Dave they start talking about trade secrets/pulling down video's to blur bits out of it.

Are they really? :palm: :-DD Morons! Bet they are gonna turn off ratings and comments now too. Hell, maybe they'd even try to copyright claim against Dave because that's what idiots on YT do. ::)
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 03:45:09 pm »

afaict they don't really want to make or develop anything, they just want to be a patent troll parasite that gets a cut any time someone uses wireless
power in case someone breaks the laws of physics and makes it work

DO they hold any patent? I didn't check.
But anyway, just getting several millions of $ is worth making a few fake videos and buying a few dev kits. Oftentimes those guys are serial startupers who just live off funding.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 04:23:05 pm »
But anyway, just getting several millions of $ is worth making a few fake videos and buying a few dev kits

...and having right connections  :)

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 08:38:56 pm »

Are they really? :palm: :-DD Morons! Bet they are gonna turn off ratings and comments now too. Hell, maybe they'd even try to copyright claim against Dave because that's what idiots on YT do. ::)

I think they might try the DMCA thing with their footage in the debunking video.

https://www.startengine.com/wigl  (comments at the bottom of the page)

FIU - July 2021 WiGL Demo removed.
Check footage between 37:05 - 38:02 EEVblog 1408 - $5M WiGL Wireless Charging BUSTED!     

31,000 views it so doesn't matter whether they pulled it down to blur stuff out.
https://youtu.be/lDdRVtka0Jg?t=2223

In the other thread six second video containing "trade secrets" and this how daft that doctor is getting:

Just look at the VT video, it's 5 seconds of some professor pushing the cart. No opinion, no commentary, no other info.

LOL, the July 2021 demo at the university has been REMOVED!

That 5 second video of a guy wheeling a cart contained "trade secrets"! :-DD
The exact same hardware which can be seen in the live stread video in much closer detail and also with tech specs and a technical explanation from the WiGL guy.

The waffle doesn't stop with this guy  :=\

LOL that that it contains trade secret stuff they haven't published yet.

I'll say it again I think Dave should give the doctor the bullshit of the year award.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:12:30 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 11:06:22 pm »

According to them the transmitter power is 1W, using a standard RF amp.

Sounds like it is illegally powerful, just like I expected. At 1 watt of transmitter power, it should be possible to charge the phone quite rapidly in the near-field induction zone (and a bit slower in the far-field radio receiver zone).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf