Author Topic: [ORCAD] Design Outline vs Outline  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Pack34Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
[ORCAD] Design Outline vs Outline
« on: September 07, 2021, 01:37:57 pm »
I've received warnings when using the films and views from older projects about using DESIGN_OUTLINE and CUTOUT instead of OUTLINE. I made the changes to get rid of the warnings, but does anyone know why this is a thing? Is this just to be certain that internal cutouts are always properly generated since the one class is split into two?

Offline Uky

• Regular Contributor
Re: [ORCAD] Design Outline vs Outline
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 03:41:02 pm »
I do not know why Cadence made the choice to change it and I have seen this too.
The thing to watch up for is that - if I remember correctly - it is not possible to change graphic elements
subclass from one to another since one is a shape and the other should be "line(s)" but there are more
or less cumbersome ways to do this.

Anyway, generating gerbers from a design with warnings should always IMO be followed by a free (non-Cadence) viewer
to verify the results after generation.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 07:20:03 pm »
I do not know why Cadence made the choice to change it and I have seen this too.
The thing to watch up for is that - if I remember correctly - it is not possible to change graphic elements
subclass from one to another since one is a shape and the other should be "line(s)" but there are more
or less cumbersome ways to do this.

Anyway, generating gerbers from a design with warnings should always IMO be followed by a free (non-Cadence) viewer
to verify the results after generation.

I noticed that, ended up redrawing the outlines.

I always double check with GerbV but probably need to switch. For some reason it's incredibly slow when trying to read files over a network. What do you use?

Offline Uky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 06:06:54 am »
I use Pentalogix "ViewMate"

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 06:40:14 am »
I use gerbv and have never had any issue with using it to view files over a network. Are any other network operations unusually slow too?

I recently replaced my old Qnap NAS with a new model because it was weirdly slow with anything that involved a lot of file accesses. Raw data throughput with big files was fine, but the number of discrete operations/sec was severely limited.

The latest versions of OrCad PCB were particularly badly affected. They'd load and save .brd files quickly enough, but trying to open a folder containing a large number of files (eg. my symbol library) could easily take a minute or so, populating the file browser a few file names at a time.

Offline Uky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 03:45:08 pm »
I have not seen any latencies in my installation.

I am using an HP Proliant G8 server, Procurve network switches, all obtained on the surplus market.

I trust older professional hardware that businesses scraps when the 3 year warranty expires.

Cannot let still useable hardware go to metal scavengers...  :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 03:46:11 pm »
I use gerbv and have never had any issue with using it to view files over a network. Are any other network operations unusually slow too?

I recently replaced my old Qnap NAS with a new model because it was weirdly slow with anything that involved a lot of file accesses. Raw data throughput with big files was fine, but the number of discrete operations/sec was severely limited.

The latest versions of OrCad PCB were particularly badly affected. They'd load and save .brd files quickly enough, but trying to open a folder containing a large number of files (eg. my symbol library) could easily take a minute or so, populating the file browser a few file names at a time.

The network in general is a dog. VPN. I wish it was setup better with a git setup where you can pull-down version controlled files from a server to work locally. Would work a lot better. But with component libraries you'd need to be sure to keep the local copies in sync. It would need to be automated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf