Author Topic: Automotive Ethernet and GVIF2 Passthrough PCB Design Discussion  (Read 2758 times)

Offline UnsanityTopic starter

• Contributor
Automotive Ethernet and GVIF2 Passthrough PCB Design Discussion
« on: December 27, 2023, 05:21:13 am »
Hello,

I am designing a passthrough PCB for Automotive Ethernet and GVIF2 communication lines. The reason why is because the wire-to-wire connectors are not available right now. So, I am making a PCB to connect two harnesses together. The wires of the harness are STP (Shielded Twist Pair), and I would like to continue the continuity of the shield between the harnesses. I assume the cable has an impedance of 100 ohm, but I do not have any specification to back that up.

Each wire has its own shield. I decided to keep each shield plane separate to help prevent noise from traveling between shields. I have stitched the top and bottom layers together to create a cage around the signal traces. No idea if this will actually help, just felt good to do.

If there are general comments, please feel free to share too. I am far from an expert  :P
Sorry if I missed to add any important information needed for an informed discussion.

Question
Is it OK to stitch the top and bottom layer shields together?

Layer Info
Layer 1: Shield
Layer 2: Signal
Layer 3: -
Layer 4: Shield

Stackup Info
See attached images
Inner Copper: 0.5oz
Outer Copper: 1oz
Prepreg Type: 7628
Prepreg Dielectric Constant: 4.4

Differential Pair Design Info
See attached images
ZDiff: 100 ohm (Ethernet and LVDS)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Automotive Ethernet and GVIF2 Passthrough PCB Design Discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2023, 02:31:02 am »
I'd crimp RJ45s on the cable and used a shielded RJ45 to RJ45 coupler.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf