Author Topic: Coaxial cable (which is not a PCB transmission line)  (Read 2806 times)

Offline joniengr081Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Coaxial cable (which is not a PCB transmission line)
« on: November 22, 2023, 09:44:48 am »
I have read  "coaxial cable (which is not a PCB transmission line)". Does this means that the coaxial cable is different then PCB transmission lines. But coaxial cable is not a transmission line at all ? Can someone please explain this a bit further. Thanks in advance.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Coaxial cable (which is not a PCB transmission line)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 01:38:37 pm »
A little more context would be helpful. What else is said around it?  Are you asking purely from a language perspective?

If the latter, I would bracket it as:
"[coaxial cable] which is not [a PCB transmission line]"
[coaxial cable] subset of [transmission line]
[PCB transmission line] subset of [transmission line]

Without context, I have no idea why it's relevant to contrast these, nor why it was said this way, instead of a more compact term that either implies its nature, or specifies it as such: "PCB traces" (implied: consistent width, and height over a GND plane), "microstrip" (defined as same); or a more direct difference ("unshielded traces which can radiate"), etc.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline joniengr081Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 05:36:13 pm »
I guess the term transmission line is referring to the transmission line effect for example cross talk, attenuation of high frequency components, increasing the rise time of the signal. We know that PCB traces if they are longer then 1/10th of the wavelength of the highest frequency content, usually approximated as 5th harmonics are turned into transmission line on outer and inner layers.

Referring to "Coaxial cable (which is not a PCB transmission line)" does it means that the transmission line effects will no longer be applicable to the coaxial cable ?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 07:16:51 pm »
I guess the term transmission line is referring to the transmission line effect for example cross talk, attenuation of high frequency components, increasing the rise time of the signal. We know that PCB traces if they are longer then 1/10th of the wavelength of the highest frequency content, usually approximated as 5th harmonics are turned into transmission line on outer and inner layers.

The highest frequency content depends only on the risetime. The period is completely irrelevant.

For a little theory and some practical measurements, see https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/digital-signal-integrity-and-bandwidth-signals-risetime-is-important-period-is-irrelevant/

Alternatively, consult any textbook or application note on transmission lines.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 11:54:11 pm »

Referring to "Coaxial cable (which is not a PCB transmission line)" does it means that the transmission line effects will no longer be applicable to the coaxial cable ?

I have no idea. Again, you'll have to provide the context around this phrase to better understand its role in the passage.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf