Author Topic: PCB layout help  (Read 1515 times)

Offline B JTopic starter

• Contributor
PCB layout help
« on: July 16, 2019, 07:16:32 pm »
Please bare with me on this.  I know it has been covered many times, but I am still confused and looking.    ---   Looking for a basic program where I can layout a board and print it out on my printer.  Don't want schematic capture, auto routing or anything like that.  Just want to layout a simple board and print it off.  Several years ago I used a program that was very simple to use.  Can't find any simple ones now.  Tried to download a couple but no success.  My computer is old, slow, and it says that I can't download what I tried.      -----    Suggestions of where to get a very basic layout tool?  What works with a minimum computer, effort and time on my part?   TNX

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: PCB layout help
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 07:50:35 pm »
MS Paint ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ttelectronic

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 07:54:35 pm »
I'm not 100% sure, I think big clive uses sprint layout may be worth a try, I have never used it, so I cannot comment. But I think he liked that you could quickly make a board with it.

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 11:18:53 pm »
DipTrace  has the capability to print a PCB layout to a printer, PDF, BMP, etc.

I found it easy to learn and in just a few hours had my first PCB.

Offline DerekG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 05:34:34 am »
I found (DipTrace) easy to learn and in just a few hours had my first PCB.

Fully agree. The OP says he only does simple boards so he can probably use the demo cut down version for free.
I also sat between Elvis & Bigfoot on the UFO.

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 12:14:35 pm »
I found (DipTrace) easy to learn and in just a few hours had my first PCB.

Fully agree. The OP says he only does simple boards so he can probably use the demo cut down version for free.

You can get the FREE for Non-profit license which enables you to do 2 layer PCBs with 500 pins.  Any PCB size.
Just ask with a few sentences saying what you are using it for.  They emailed my license the next day. 

I have yet to need more for personal PCBs I've done.  My most complex PCB had 18 ICs (5 28-pin, 10 8-pin and 3 16-pin), 20 resistors and 2 30-pin headers.

I also heavily rely on the 3D view as my last check of dimensions.  I have even created some of my own 3D models with FreeCAD.

Offline nigelwright7557

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronic controls
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 10:16:33 pm »
 I sell pcbcad software and still get the odd "pad and track" people who want to make a pcb simply with no schematic etc.
This is fine for small pcb's.
However, for larger pcb's you really need a schematic which is error checked as a basis for a pcb.
Then once the pcb is laid out lots of error checking needs doing for continuity and clearance etc.

With the onset of very cheap $2 batches of pcb's from China, there is little excuse to go the home made route any more.
In that case a nice solder resist pcb with nice text and neat tracks etc is the way to go.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:18:16 pm by nigelwright7557 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf