Author Topic: Glue wood to pcb  (Read 3614 times)

Offline gorlockTopic starter

Glue wood to pcb
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:16:07 pm »
Hi Guys,

I need to glue a piece of wood to a PCB.  Like in the picture attached.  Is there a proper adhesive to do this?  What do you guys recommend?

Thank you in advance!
Best regards,
RS

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
Re: Glue wood to pcb
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 09:18:41 pm »
Well, since you don't give any idea how durable it must be, I'd use Anchor double backed tape.  It is kind of like masking tape ,but double sided sticky.  I use it all the time.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 09:33:15 pm »
Hi jpanhalt,

Thank you for the quick reply.  It has to be kind of resilient.  First it will stay on a vertical position, and it will be blocking cartridges of entering the slot in the wrong way.  So it will be bumped frequently.

Thanks again.
Regards,
RS

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:09:20 pm »
By the looks of PCB, you could drill holes in unpoulated area and attach it with screws.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 10:20:12 pm »
By the looks of PCB, you could drill holes in unpoulated area and attach it with screws.

Wow, clever.   What size holes should he drill?

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 10:34:48 pm »
If possible drill the PCB and use nuts recessed in the wood and through bolt it. 

For a permanent glued attachment, coat kiln-dried wood with lamintating epoxy, then, while at 'green' cure stage, sand face to roughen, wash then rinse with IPA to remove any amine blush, then glue to previosly roughhened PCB using epoxy. (Laminating epoxy mixed with glue powder is suitable.)

However its probably adequate to seal the wood with shellac or lacquer then stick it to the PCB with 3M VHB tape.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:37:07 pm by Ian.M »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 01:02:09 am »
Wow, clever.   What size holes should he drill?

Slightly larger than the diameter of the screw I would suspect.

Please note:
This is opinion only and not based on fact.
I am not a professionally qualified screw hole estimator.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 03:19:21 pm »
Thank you all for the ideas.  Will consider the options.

All the best!
Regards,
RS

Offline ehughes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 05:06:51 pm »
I have used gorilla do to something very similar.   You will tear the fiberglass weaving apart before that glue bond breaks.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 05:41:04 pm »
Hot snot all the way!
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 05:42:28 pm »
Hot snot all the way!
If you don't care if it will fall away in a year.

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 05:48:07 pm »
Hot snot all the way!
If you don't care if it will fall away in a year.

Depends a little on the type of glue stick. I am using some industrial grade stuff that did not let me down (yet). Only viable if you have a hot glue gun though.
For permanent mounting (apart from drilling holes) the only other glue I would deem usable is two component epoxy. Of course gluing always requires properly cleaned and prepared surfaces. :)
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 06:01:58 pm »
I have used gorilla do to something very similar.   You will tear the fiberglass weaving apart before that glue bond breaks.

What kind did you use? The Original, Superglue, The one for wood?

Thanks.

Offline ehughes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 01:53:54 pm »
The original gorilla glue.     Not the wood or super glue variants.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 08:36:09 am »
Depends a little on the type of glue stick. I am using some industrial grade stuff that did not let me down (yet). Only viable if you have a hot glue gun though.
For permanent mounting (apart from drilling holes) the only other glue I would deem usable is two component epoxy. Of course gluing always requires properly cleaned and prepared surfaces. :)

+1. If you don't have a glue stick that sticks to FR4 and soldermask, yet, you need to keep looking. There are lots of things that are hard to stick with hot glue, but unfinished wood and soldermask do not fall into that category. Even if it fell off, it is easy to remove and redo. Just brush with alcohol.

There is a huge difference between different brands of glue. I used some Stanley brand sticks that fell off of everything. I think they would be good for making molds, maybe. 

I have hot snotted several PCB's in lieu of making proper enclosures and standoffs for decades. One and done. The main point of failure I have come across in electronical things is when gluing certain plastics. There's a bit of an art to it, though. Clean surfaces and preheating where necessary. Many of us will use alcohol and hot air guns for other things in electronical work, anyway. And the hot snot for myriad things including tacking wires and mocking up prototypes. So it would be second nature to reach for the glue gun.

By the looks of whatever OP is making, it might very well be in a junk bin, receiving upgrades or modification, or needing repairs before a good hot snotting initially falls. :)

Fun fact: the screens on your smart phone are attached to the glass with hot snot.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:14:28 am by KL27x »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf