Electronics > PCB/EDA/CAD

Standard drill size?

(1/2) > >>

tppc:
Hi there,
I just finished the design of my first PCB on JLCPCB's website.
before placing the order, I was just wondering if there is a standard drill size for
- Through hole 0.25W resistors ?
- Through hole DIP8 sockets ?

what puzzles me, is that available footprints on EasyEDA use strange drill sizes like 0.711mm or 0.914 mm for example.
Does a 0.711 mm drill even exist?

What will happen if I order a PCB with 0.711 mm holes? Will they round it to the next standard size?
BTW, is there a list of standard / recommended hole sizes for classic through hole components?

Thanks for your help.
Kind Regards.

tppc:
Hi evb149,

Thank you very much for this very precise and detailed answer.  :-+

hey hey, I found the 0.711 mm & 0.914 mm drill bits from your wikipedia links  ;D

Again, thank you very much for your time.
I am already reading the information on the links you indicated.   ;D

As per the pdf drawing they suggest simply 1 mm holes.

In the case of my first PCB, hole sizes are not critical, I just wanted to use hole sizes that make sense.

Kind regards
 :-+

PlainName:
You might find this article useful:

https://www.pcb-3d.com/tutorials/how-to-calculate-pth-hole-and-pad-diameter-sizes-according-to-ipc-7251-ipc-2222-and-ipc-2221-standards/

asmi:
I don't think any pcb fab still use imperial drills, certainly none in China. They typically take the closest size up.

Feynman:
Many shops have drill bits in 0,05mm steps. Since your specification is considered "finished" by default the shop will pick a slightly bigger drill to account for plating thickness and your tolerances (if specified).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version