Author Topic: Suspicious changes in price from PCBway (resolved!)  (Read 1772 times)

Offline getafixxTopic starter

Suspicious changes in price from PCBway (resolved!)
« on: July 28, 2022, 07:09:32 pm »
Hi all,

I wanted to bring this to attention here, as it's something I've noticed happen a few times to me over the last few orders from PCBway. At first I thought I was just mistaken, but this time I took screenshots!

Basically, what's happening is there is the price shown when you're checking out, with shipping + Paypal fees included (pic1). But once I click on "Place order", the next page shows a price that is over $20 higher, and I get charged PayPal fees AGAIN on the new price (pic2). That seems like robbery, to me. I've been using PCBway for several years, but I've only recently noticed this happening.

I've emailed PCBway support but have yet to receive a response.

** Edit: this has been resolved. See last post. **
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 03:16:22 pm by getafixx »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Suspicious changes in price from PCBway
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 08:08:58 pm »
Is there no charges breakdown in the second screenshot?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 08:25:33 pm »
To PartialDischarge, why the immediate hostility? This is the same order. What would I possibly have to gain by lying about this? I'm not pushing a different manufacturer, or otherwise advertising anything. Geez.

To thm_w, there is no breakdown on the second page. Just the inflated order cost, and then the extra PayPal fee.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 12:37:26 pm »
I suspect it's currency conversion. Although both screenies show USD, according to OpenCalc 85USD is 109CAD, which is remarkably close.

Re: Suspicious changes in price from PCBway (resolved!)
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 03:22:54 pm »
For anyone interested, PCBway has gotten back to me this morning with what is happening.

Due to my location (not in a major city), there is an extra charge from DHL on top of the initial shipping charge. It just doesn't state that anywhere. But they gave me the price breakdown for the shipping, and the numbers add up, and the "extra" PayPal fee I was seeing is actually just a recalculation of the initial fee due to the higher cost.

So there is nothing shady going on after all, just a lack of information on the site as to what the extra charges were.

This topic can be closed or deleted, whatever the mods want.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Zoli

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 08:23:19 pm »
DHL doesn't deliver to many small towns in canada at all, often only Canada Post. Fedex will quote some absurd price ($100), and may just end up handing it off.

Maybe look at their other shipping options.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 06:59:23 pm »
Not surprised! PCBWAY are very honest and professional. Been using them for a decade!
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2022, 10:26:32 pm »
DHL in canada is a bit weird and non-transparent. I have had LCSC.com shipments come straight to the house no problem and then on the next had to change my shipping address postal code to the adjacent postal code area just to get past their refusal. ( on a shipment of boards from PCBway.) No real logic to it. After falsifying the postal code that also shipped no problems.

I am semi-rural Vancouver Island but close to a town so  :-//
I would add I am about 16 km away from a small regional DHL office=transshipment depot.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 10:29:57 pm by chickenHeadKnob »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 06:24:31 pm »
I've also had more problems with DHL than with any other shipping service.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf