Author Topic: Introducing: Raspberry Pi 5!  (Read 11485 times)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Introducing: Raspberry Pi 5!
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2023, 10:53:00 pm »
It's been out of stock for a while now (let me know if you can buy one right now though), everything went very fast due to the massive preordering and the hype around the Pi5. Good for them, but not sure how sustainable the supply will ever be.

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2023, 08:23:07 pm »
So it seems that the camera and screen connectors are a different size on the 5 than they were on the 4.

Anyone know whether converter cables are a thing?

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2023, 01:30:01 am »
So it seems that the camera and screen connectors are a different size on the 5 than they were on the 4.

Anyone know whether converter cables are a thing?

yes, I believe they are the same as for the CM4 dev-board and they are different for the cam and display

The following users thanked this post: Microdoser

Offline 50ShadesOfDirt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2024, 06:21:16 pm »
3 months or so later since I ordered some on Sparkfun ... keep getting messages once/month that some have come in, but not enough. Implication is that I'm still way down on the list to receive some. Apparently, demand now exceeds supply before these beasts even start shipping.

Bummer ...

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2024, 06:27:45 pm »
Raspberry Pi need to decide who their customers are and cater for them. I am just starting to take my baby steps in using a single board computer, and yes I say SBC, any SBC, even though I am practicing with a P400 for simplicity I will not use a single feature that is Pi specific as I know it would be a waste of time.

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2024, 06:30:14 pm »
3 months or so later since I ordered some on Sparkfun ... keep getting messages once/month that some have come in, but not enough. Implication is that I'm still way down on the list to receive some. Apparently, demand now exceeds supply before these beasts even start shipping.

Bummer ...

look around, here there's several shops with pi5 in stock, I just got one

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2024, 07:40:56 pm »
look around, here there's several shops with pi5 in stock, I just got one

This. I've had several opportunities to buy the Pi 5 recently, but passed (I have too many Pi's and other SBCs to keep me busy right now). I can usually find at least one model in stock somewhere between Pishop, Pimoroni, DigiKey, etc. They'll go OOS but are pretty quick to come back. Just hit all those places and signup for their stock notifications.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2024, 11:56:56 pm »

I ordered one from Pimoroni (UK) on 29/9 and it shipped on 25/11 and was delivered in NZ on 7/12.

I haven't had time/need to play with it yet, but it's sitting ready when I do.

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2024, 04:11:32 am »
A reliable and long lasting solution is SLC SDCards. I use such cards for almost 10 years now and they are more reliable than the Pi's they run on.

How to check which sdcard type I have? Unfortunately there is no any mention if it SLC or something else...

Offline KarelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2024, 07:26:16 am »
A reliable and long lasting solution is SLC SDCards. I use such cards for almost 10 years now and they are more reliable than the Pi's they run on.

How to check which sdcard type I have? Unfortunately there is no any mention if it SLC or something else...

You'll need to find the datasheet from the manufacturer. If you can't find the datasheet, assume it's not SLC.

Also, when looking for a new card, you can filter on "SLC" when looking for SD cards at Digikey.

Offline rteodor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2024, 08:31:08 am »

In my case I bought Integral Endurance (the white ones made in Japan) being advertised as SLC. I don't remember having a datasheet for them and now I can not find them anymore. It seems that the Internet has memory issues as well.

Two of my Pi1's failed because of LAN chip. Replaced LAN chip and put back the old SD card in one of them (those QFN chips are a bitch to solder back). The resilience of those cards is impressive because I installed the first Pi1 in 2014 and the SD cards about the same time. In the meantime on a companion Rpi2 I had about 4 or 5 micro SDcard hard failures ranging in time from 3 months till the latest fail after 4 1/2 years with a quality SandDisk. And Pi1's wrote a lot more data than Pi2. Compare that with only one logic failure so far on the 4 Endurance SDcards in almost 10 years.

Last time I checked for SLC on Mouser was during the pandemic. Prices were sky high and not in stock.

1981852-0

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2024, 09:55:15 am »
For one reason or another, I don't like *ANY* RPI, except one thing: they have great support for RiscOS6.
I am planning to invest more time with Haiku/Beta4++ on RiscV this year  :D
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2024, 01:10:57 pm »
canbus

what do you use/are you planning to use on the GNU/Linux SBC side (hw/sw) to operate with CanBus?  :o :o :o
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline Postal2

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2024, 03:53:38 am »
... to use on the GNU/Linux SBC side (hw/sw) to operate with CanBus?  :o :o :o
Here there are Linux and can-buses for your convenience (photo).
_
I'm waiting here for a custom water-cooled "Embedded" RPI (RPI 5 or 6..7).

Online radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: January 17, 2024, 08:05:01 am »
You'll need to find the datasheet from the manufacturer. If you can't find the datasheet, assume it's not SLC.

Also, when looking for a new card, you can filter on "SLC" when looking for SD cards at Digikey.

There is no datasheet, I'm using SanDisk A2 Extreme sdcard:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005661979512.html

How to check it's flash type?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2024, 09:10:12 am »

There is no datasheet, I'm using SanDisk A2 Extreme sdcard:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005661979512.html

How to check it's flash type?

Without the datasheet, you'll never know for sure. But you already have a much bigger problem: don't buy stuf from aliexpress if it needs to be reliable...

If you need a reliable sd-card, you must be prepared to pay more for it. If you don't want that, forget reliability.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/filter/memory-cards/501

At the filter section, go to "technology" and select "SLC".

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2024, 10:10:43 am »
Aliexpress is just a web store interface. There are thousands of individual vendors on there, some good, some bad, some with good products, some with bad.

Stick to the good vendors and there is absolutely no problem e.g. as just a couple of examples the WCH and Sipeed official stores:

https://sipeed.aliexpress.us/store/1101739727

https://wchofficialstore.aliexpress.us/store/1102052740

If you do a generic search for a generic product like SD cards and pick the lowest price for some random shit from some random vendor then sure you may well get what you deserve.

On that particular topic: the Amazon Basics SD cards seem to be very good.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2024, 12:36:15 pm »
On that particular topic: the Amazon Basics SD cards seem to be very good.

Are they SLC? Do they offer a (technical) datasheet?
Or do you think that people who are looking for a reliable sd-card should simply buy amazon basics sd cards because they "seem to be very good"?

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2024, 02:36:01 pm »
There are plenty of "good" SD cards that are not SLC. I use a multitude of SD cards between devices ranging from multiple Pi's and other SBCs to mobile devices to 3D printers to cameras, they're all name brand but I doubt many if any of them are SLC. I think I can count the number of failed SD cards I've experienced on a couple of fingers.

Sure, spec SLC if you have a mission critical application. If you're just doing something at home, take a backup image occasionally and have spare cards on hand for when one fails, and just about any brand card that isn't fake and meets its specs will likely do just fine.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2024, 03:51:01 pm »
Sure, spec SLC if you have a mission critical application.

If it's really mission critical then I'd be worried about the effects of vibration, dust, corrosion on the SD card connector. The Odroid defacto standard eMMC module connector should be more reliable or better still soldered in eMMC as found in a number of recent SBCs.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2024, 09:37:06 pm »
Yes, I'll consider the next RPi when they add eMMC onboard. Oh, and if they can document the RP1, that'll be great too.

Offline Postal2

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2024, 01:28:49 am »
Why nobody ask me about what kind of SBC inside industrial device on photo above? No interest? May be RPI inside, under top cover?

Offline rteodor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2024, 07:54:17 am »
Why nobody ask me about what kind of SBC inside industrial device on photo above? No interest? May be RPI inside, under top cover?

Last mount time 2011 with kernel 3.18 ? By that date alone it can not be Raspberry Pi. Looks more like a car ECU. Teardown ?

LE: now I see the date on the stamp seem to be 2019. Also:
"Dungheinrich Industrial Electronic Recycling Repair is a 15+ year old Family-owned company located in Kernersville, NC proudly serving individuals and businesses in the United States with their computers and electronics recycling/repair needs."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 08:10:15 am by rteodor »

Offline Postal2

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2024, 08:24:53 am »
Looks more like a car ECU. Teardown ?
Yes (photo).
What does it look like? ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 08:56:44 am by Postal2 »

Offline rteodor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2024, 09:12:28 am »
I can make a quess about what that is, but I can not see the connection with the RaspberryPi.
It is not the only Linux SBC board with on-board CAN probably pre-dating RaspberryPi. Just that those SBC's were dedicated to some specific purpose and usually only available to their clients only.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf