Author Topic: ATF15XX Dev DK2 example file PLDs etc  (Read 2866 times)

Offline JimboJackTopic starter

• Contributor
ATF15XX Dev DK2 example file PLDs etc
« on: November 06, 2023, 01:27:50 am »
morning,

Hi ,

I have ATF15XX-DK3 board and learning simple CPLD design for a small project in 5.0V vintage land same as me. I wonder if anyone has the example files or copy of the ISO CDROM of the previous release of the board the ATF15XX-DK2 as these examples are in PLD format as the old documentation states part example i can then start to cross compare and learn were as the ATF15XX-DK3 single example file is in VHDL from their website , therefore you need to licence up the prochip 5.01 to compile simple example were wincupl is currently free , 'everyone shakes head slowly ' I know, just wonder if anyone in the bottom of the draw has these files handy

checked internet archive, searched the web to no avail. yes can use quartus 13.0 sp1 but want to see the PLD file , not many examples to learn from.

thks all

James

Offline PCB.Wiz

• Super Contributor
Re: ATF15XX Dev DK2 example file PLDs etc
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 05:22:08 am »
For simple designs, you are likely best to stick with WinCUPL.
The CPLDs are not complex parts, and sometimes you need mapping control, easier in CUPL than VHDL.
You can run CUPL command line, with any favourite text editor.

There is some info here, including using Altera flows and POF2JED to target ATF15xx plds
https://github.com/peterzieba/5Vpld
on the various pathways to develop.

The following users thanked this post: oPossum, JimboJack

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 09:34:55 pm »
thks :)

Offline Beta_vulgaris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 07:22:39 am »
You can download ProChip on Microchip website: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/ProChip5.0.1.zip, install it and change lc_checkout function to ALWAYS return zero in lmgr*.dll. I have posted it before.
Electronics, Geospatial, Aerospace
Programmable Logic Devices (PLD) Programming Algorithm Preservation

The following users thanked this post: oPossum, JimboJack

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 07:36:03 pm »
Here's an example of an ATF1502AS in which I implemented a shift register for a project of mine. A CPU writes a byte to it and it shifts it out into some LED drivers.

https://github.com/tomstorey/Z80_clock/blob/master/CPLD/z80_clk_shiftreg/Z80_CLK_SHIFTREG.pld

It's a fairly simple example but it's a working example.

After this I tried implementing a CRTC for a VGA like graphics card but gave up and switched to Quartus and Verilog and had much more success - Quartus could fit sooo much more in than I could.

I still use WinCUPL for developing GALs but for CPLDs I moved on to better tools. Hope that helps.

The following users thanked this post: JimboJack

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 08:13:33 pm »
thks all

with the other examples listing above, inside prochip 5.0.1 had examples of PLD coding , quartus as well i head to my cave and experiment.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf