Author Topic: Lattice FPGA programmer  (Read 1729 times)

Offline MitiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Lattice FPGA programmer
« on: March 22, 2024, 02:30:51 pm »
Lattice HW-USBN-2B is $340 CAD at Mouser. R U kidding me? What are you using to program Lattice?

Cheers,
Miti
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Lattice FPGA programmer
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 03:43:07 pm »
Generic one from AliExpress for $25.
Alex

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 06:17:10 pm »
May I ask for a known good model number / item from Ali?

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 06:24:30 pm »
I think there is only one model that multiple sellers sell. It is hard to tell for sure. Here are a couple variants of the labels https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802957528698.html and https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800151545453.html

I have something that looks like that. It works for basic programming without any issues.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Miti

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 09:21:38 pm »
Well FPGA vendor tools are always expensive. But this used to be significantly cheaper than this (about half that price?) - prices of dev tools have literally exploded at Lattice in the past few years. Their dev boards are also about twice what they used to be, or more.

All that's needed for Lattice programming is any FTDI-based JTAG programmer, something FT2232H-based will work fine.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 09:47:28 pm »
That programmer is not anything special, it is just a typical cy7c68013a and a couple level shifters. But it is nice to have a tool in a plastic case clearly labeled and readily recognized by the IDE. For $25 it is a good deal. $340 is a rippoff, but I also have no idea what "B" in the " HW-USBN-2B" means. It may be some significant improvement. 

On a quick check, it looks like it adds I2C interface, but no other features that I can see.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 09:50:40 pm by ataradov »
Alex

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 02:01:15 pm »
Well FPGA vendor tools are always expensive. But this used to be significantly cheaper than this (about half that price?) - prices of dev tools have literally exploded at Lattice in the past few years. Their dev boards are also about twice what they used to be, or more.

All that's needed for Lattice programming is any FTDI-based JTAG programmer, something FT2232H-based will work fine.

I have the  FT232HQ but, as Alex said, would it be detected by the programmer?

Cheers,
Miti

Offline mon2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 02:53:59 pm »
Agree with the above comments. If you study some of the official kits by Lattice, one at least contains the FT2232H controller. Respectively, this is desirable so that you can make use of the existing toolchain (JTAG) for quick programming. JTAG on its own is not a complex spec and even a $ 0.10 micro can bit-bang out out the timing to reflash the internal flash or SRAM contents. However, for initial development, remain with a proven foundation.

Also, do review SZFPGA.COM who offers a mix of FPGA tools. While not the lowest cost, they do have quality and unique kits. We purchased a batch of the ones for the GOWIN FPGA targets. Support is not poor but not the best. They will share fpga project files after a confirmation of the purchase. We did purchase their version of the Gowin FPGA programmer and it is working well to reflash our Gowin devices using the official Gowin toolchain. They also support Lattice and XILINX I believe.

Our interest is to create a low cost JTAG tool for under $1 for end-user field upgrades. To us, the U2X by Gowin is overpriced.

Offline dukelec

• Contributor
    • Duke Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 02:24:56 am »
FT232H also supported, but should modify something, please have a look at:
(Translate to English by your browser first.)
https://github.com/dukelec/cdpga/blob/master/cdpga_b/readme_zh.md

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf