Let's also not forget that Apple really profits if they can show huge performance benefits of their own Macbooks vs their previous. They must have had plans for this M1 chip underway for years, so I don't think the cynical narrative of "planned cooling woes" in Intel designs of recent years isn't that unreal. I mean, who designs a freaking laptop with barely any heatsink contact on the CPU, and then adds a fan on the other side of the laptop? Yes, Apple:

So in my opinion, any trumpet blown by Apple will be misleading, even in an Apple-to-Apple comparison (pun intended). I don't think they will show a honest comparison of silicon. I believe LinusTechTips was able to boost the i3 Macbook Air performance by about 13% just by "fixing" the cooling design. What if, magically, they know how to build cooling designs again?
I'm undecided about the ARM cores coming out of nowhere. Recent ARM Cortex A7x designs are showing more/wider execution units, but I don't think they have both surpassed Zen 3's width nor clockspeed. So in that regard, it sounds like science fiction. The perf/MHz would almost suggest that even a Zen 3 core is stalled half of it's clock cycles. Then again, if you look at individual Geekbench scores, it does suggest that a single core can offer the performance in most tests...