Geekbench is a load of shit for sure. The key thing though is measured compute performance. It appears that the answers are now in with Cinebench coming in...
I have no idea why people obsess over Cinebench. Rendering video is something I use my computer to do .. basically never.
Linux kernels builds are at least somewhat relevant to what I do with a computer that is performance-critical -- I watch a lot of youtube (or VLC) but once you're not dropping frames extra performance is irrelevant.
Probably because video encoding is one of the most demanding CPU tasks. When not hardware-accelerated, it’s incredibly taxing on a system, as it involves gargantuan amounts of data and processing. (We use compressed formats that have staggering compression ratios. The raw data the encoder needs is huge, and the amount of processing needed to achieve high compression is insane.)
The typical things most people do most of the time (web browsing, watching videos, creating documents, etc) simply aren’t demanding enough to tease out meaningful performance comparisons.
I remember back in the early 90s, when computer benchmarks ran massive scripted suites of real-world software, that one common benchmark item was how long it took a spreadsheet (originally Lotus 1-2-3, later Excel) to recalculate a spreadsheet with a couple of thousand cells. (Not lines. Cells.) They had to increase the size of the spreadsheets to keep up with performance improvements, before eventually abandoning that test because all computers got fast enough that recalculating a spreadsheet became instant, so they just made it automatic as we know it today. (IIRC, we got to the point in those tests that they couldn’t even increase the test spreadsheets, as they’d reached the limits at the time of how many columns and rows you could have; that is, limits written into the code, not computing resource limits.)