Author Topic: Australian Government Invests $1BN on Aussie Quantum Computing Startup  (Read 2129 times)

Offline mianos

• Contributor
Is there any evidence of a quantum computer doing anything better than a traditional computer, or is it just all theoretical?

For fun see page 203 of the 2024 Sigbovik : "Quantum Disadvantage.  Or, simulating IBM's 'quantum utility' experiment with a Commodore 64"

As I said earlier, Google is offering $5M USD to someone who can beat a VIC-20. Commodore 64 as asking a bit much if you ask me.
https://www.xprize.org/prizes/qc-apps

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Australia will invest $940 million in Silicon Valley start-up PsiQuantum in a major bet that it will build the world’s first commercially useful quantum computer in Brisbane.

Is there any evidence of a quantum computer doing anything better than a traditional computer, or is it just all theoretical?

For fun see page 203 of the 2024 Sigbovik : "Quantum Disadvantage.  Or, simulating IBM's 'quantum utility' experiment with a Commodore 64"

A Commodore 64 would be more useful simulating a doorstop.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
There is good evidence that a quantum computer could do a few useful niche things at great speed if they can massively reduce the noise. There is no evidence at all that a quantum computer will ever be any kind of general purpose computation machine, so the name computer is a stretch. Can they massively reduce the noise, and get some serious entanglement? Who knows, but you never learn to do anything without a lot of effort, and those niches may prove to be highly valuable.

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
... Can they massively reduce the noise, and get some serious entanglement? ...

That is their claimed edge - using an error-correcting fault-tolerant approach.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-36493-1
https://arxiv.org/abs/2211.15465

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
... Can they massively reduce the noise, and get some serious entanglement? ...

That is their claimed edge - using an error-correcting fault-tolerant approach.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-36493-1
https://arxiv.org/abs/2211.15465
With the massive noise they have now, they do so much error correction the final speed is pathetic. That's why reducing it is key to achieving a useful result.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Australia will invest $940 million in Silicon Valley start-up PsiQuantum in a major bet that it will build the world’s first commercially useful quantum computer in Brisbane.

According to my world leading quantum computing research friend, head of a quantum computing lab, nope, they aren't capable of anything practical yet.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
You should pay some respect to something officially recognized in Guiness World Records as the best selling desktop computer of all time.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor

According to my world leading quantum computing research friend, head of a quantum computing lab, nope, they aren't capable of anything practical yet.
That implies that either that Psi thing is going to beat IBM, or Australian government is incredibly stupid. And I am not sure about the former.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline golden_labels

• Super Contributor
You should pay some respect to something officially recognized in Guiness World Records as the best selling desktop computer of all time.
Hey! It’s easy to be the all-time winner, if almost all competition leaves the category. ;)

People imagine AI as T1000. What we got so far is glorified T9.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor

That implies that either that Psi thing is going to beat IBM, or Australian government is incredibly stupid. And I am not sure about the former.

Australia is a Federation---The Queensland State Govt put up half.

A previous Federal Govt gave a $450 million grant to a "startup" environmental group who were supposed to be to protect the Great Barrier Reef, ignoring existing organisations which had been "doing the hard yards" for years.

The most immediately obvious thing about the group was that it was headed by industrialists friendly to the governing party of the day.

At this remove, the Great Barrier Reef Foundation has done a pretty good job, being fairly transparent in where the money has gone, so a "Captain's call" can work, despite all our misgivings.
Whether setting up a complete new organisation was the best idea at that point is a moot point.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor

Yes, it was a very popular doorstop! :D

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor

Yep.
The reason it gets so much attention lately (and thus funding) is its promise to (eventually) be able to crack our state-of-the-art encryption schemes. Of course it's still a long way from that, but that's pretty much the only application I've heard of and which (IMHO) explains why governments are starting to invest "massively" in it. As always, it's not because of any potential positive application, but just because it's a potential, very powerful weapon.

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
The reason it gets so much attention lately (and thus funding) is its promise to (eventually) be able to crack our state-of-the-art encryption schemes. Of course it's still a long way from that, but that's pretty much the only application I've heard of and which (IMHO) explains why governments are starting to invest "massively" in it. As always, it's not because of any potential positive application, but just because it's a potential, very powerful weapon.

They have already made the movie, Sneakers.

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
"Australian quantum computing company" in... Palo Alto :)
Multiple of the founders are Australian and it sounds like they are opening a new fairly large site in Brisbane, but it's still odd to see them called an Australian company...

Clown world.

Sad clown even.

hey? look at my "Nuke Mars!" T-shirt :o :o :o

The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf